• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonHecht

Reaction score
I just picked up a Polo Unviersity Club from Saks 5th sport jacket for 10 bucks from a salvation army. It fits incredibly well, but is about a quarter inch shorter than I would normally like. I doubt most people will notice, so it should be fine. I don't even think I need to take it to the tailor.
1zg435w.jpg
2edr2b8.jpg

tsaltzma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
Barbour Gamefair waxed jacket. Appears unworn. Probably should have tracked this down by smell rather than sight. $4.19

Racing green leather toiletry kit made in Italy for Dunhill. Unused and pristine. $1.99

I too would like to see pics of the Isaia shoes.

And let's please all root for Alan's luck to change.

I've been looking for a Barbour jacket for years, even before I found this forum. I saw one once probably 4 or 5 years ago, but it was way too big for me, in bad shape, and horribly overpriced.

Good day today.

Borrelli shirt
Paul Smith shirt
Southwick suit w/surgeons cuffs & looks very recent
Hugo Boss suit
Chenzo(?) blue herringbone jacket - E. Zegna 100% cashmere fabric

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I too would like to see pics of the Isaia shoes.

I'll get some pictures up in a couple days. I'm out of town for the weekend but will post pics when I return. They're definitely interesting!

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ekinwang
thrift hunting sounds interesting (and surprisingly exciting...). are there any recommendations for the NYC area worth taking a look at?

thanks!

I'd Google "NYC thrift stores" and go from there. Over time you'll just start finding them randomly. They're everywhere in this city.

pejsek

Reaction score
As always, persistence pays. Today I found another Isaia for Paul Stuart suit. Turns out these are the Stuart's Choice model. The suit I found last week had a regular PS tag on the inside pocket and a Made In Italy label at then neck. This one (in the same size, from the same store, and likely from the same customer) has a Stuart's Choice label at the neck and the regular PS tag on the pocket. The tag from the maker is identical on both, identifying the model as Paul Stuart A. Anyway, once again, the cloth on this suit is really nice, a true step up from what's usually found on rtw--navy and black fine PoW plaid with a fine chocolate brown windowpane in place of the red one usually found on this sort of cloth. I've always really disliked the red windowpane, so this is a big plus for me. At $18 this was nearly twice the price of the first one. The pants are just about the nicest I've seen on a rtw suit; fully skirted waistband with optional self-faced extensions for braces.

Also, T&A ascot in navy with scarlet and white paisley design. Nearly matches my T&A smoking cap. General hilarity should ensue. $3.49

jeremyjoe

Reaction score
I just got back from Paris, and their consignment stores were so over priced....a burberry jacket i got a thrift store for 8 bucks was 350 euros, and some LV mens boots for 500 euros....I couldnt find the zegna suits i saw, someone bought the jacket and left the vest and pants and the linen one left had way too many sweat stains Had some good finds today buy my cousins house. $2 gold/brass cufflinks $12 and $6 Two Neiman Marcus Jackets, one sandhurst and one wool, both 2 button, one vent and no vent $7 Lanvin jacket 2 button, Made in USA, no vent, greenish but i can pull it off Passed up a huge saks 5th jacket, Hickey Freeman Jacket, AE shoes, and some Brioni button downs that i wish all fit me
frown.gif
Ill try my regular stores tomorrow.....i hate you guys for teaching me what to look for now

tsaltzma

Reaction score
I just posted some of the stuff I have up on the trading post if anyone wants to look at it. I also saw 3 pairs of shoes today if anyone is interested in them... AE tassle loafer similar to Maxfield, one tan, one black Mephisto loafer, all in size 8d, very good shape barely worn Today I picked up a pair of Florsheim Imperial tassle brogue loafer - i'm not positive but I think they might be shell - they look kinda like these but better condition - http://cgi.ebay.com/VTG-FLORSHEIM-IM...d=p3286.c0.m14 Also found a RLPL 100% cashmere sweater, Chanel Antaeus 3.3oz mens EDT, BB University tie, and Ferragamo shoes Anyone heard of WILLIAM SPENCER shoes? I saw a pair that said benchmade in england.. looked good but couldn't find any info on them, so didn't grab em yet.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
For the first time ever, I found a nice hat at a thrift store. It's a Stetson Sovereign class hat. Fits perfectly. Brown and made of nice fur felt (my first fur felt hat). It's very much like this hat here, but with a different bash and brim shaping (photo credit to GWD at the Fedora Lounge). I think I'll take it to my local hat shop and have it made into something more like the one pictured, though. Right now it looks a tiny bit Label King-y and while I'm certainly not opposed to that, I admit I've always lusted after the perfect Indy fedora and I think this will shape up to be one.
web.jpg

pejsek

Reaction score
Not sure how I will wear this. Vivienne Westwood dove grey velvet suit--three-button, peak lapels, deep center vent; flat front pants with side adjusters. All buttons are the gold signature orb buttons. Jacket is cut very much in the frock coat mold. Like most of the Vivienne Westwood clothing the cut and styling are weird--even outlandish--but ultimately quite flattering. You'll just have to trust me. $25.25

doctorj!

Reaction score
At a goodwill store:

Hickey Freeman charcoal striped loro piana super 120s blazer: $4!!
MTM loro piana fabric blazer by no name company:$15
Ysl shirt: $5
E zegna shirt: $2
Vintage Valentino tie: $2

saw a few dior shirts for $10 each. Lots of brooks bros suits, ralph lauren green label suits.

Ankur

pejsek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
What a fine find.

Yes, Vivienne Westwood is rare. This is from the Man line (made in Italy), so I'm not stealing anything from the Met. But I do have an old Pirate shirt somewhere that should find a permanent home. Over the years I've found some great VW pieces for my wife (Harris Tweed coat, tatersall redingote, and a bunch of blouses), but not much for me. There is certainly finer tailoring. But this is Anglomania.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Passed on 10 or 12 Ermenegildo Zegna neckties at a Goodwill -- all from the same donor -- all perfect condition -- but dated... (small 'z') - probably from early to late 1990s.... one still had the store tag. But one lesson I've tried to learn is not to buy something just because of the name... They were all probably 3.5" ~ 3.875" wide...

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
But one lesson I've tried to learn is not to buy something just because of the name... They were all probably 3.5" ~ 3.875" wide...

Yeah, same here. Plus, mainline Zegna is hard enough to sell as it is. I have yet to find out why.....

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure how I will wear this. Vivienne Westwood dove grey velvet suit--three-button, peak lapels, deep center vent; flat front pants with side adjusters. All buttons are the gold signature orb buttons. Jacket is cut very much in the frock coat mold. Like most of the Vivienne Westwood clothing the cut and styling are weird--even outlandish--but ultimately quite flattering. You'll just have to trust me. $25.25

Wow, amazing find! There is a group of designers that are pretty hard to come across in thrift shops (Jil Sander, Ann D., CCP, Number (N)ine, etc) and Vivienne Westwood definately falls into that catagory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads