• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hopkins_student kills intruder with samurai sword

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Dude had 29 arrests for burglary... what does it take to get locked up for real around there? P.s. has anyone seen hopkins_student lately?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
P.s. has anyone seen hopkins_student lately?
"He'll take my icemaker from my cold dead hands...""

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Isn't hop living in the Dirty South now? Birmingham, IIRC?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
you know what would have been nerdier? smothering a guy to death with one of those japanese school girl sex pillows

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agnacious
So what did he do with a sword that he couldn't have done with a baseball bat?

just for starters soem people to prefer probably do prefer blunt weapons to bladed but really if the story of the of the kid is true a blunt weapon such as a basball or stick might not have subdued or stopped the person if he moved closed enough to him fast enough, a bladed weapon works without momentum thus it as that advantage. and if the student actually it the guy in head with baseball bat or in some vital organ at full momentum do you think the outcome would have changed?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agnacious
I am answering you, but the following responses are in kind and I don't feel like multi-quoting.

My problem is by bringing a sword he has limited the options he has, you have to cut someone to stop them. It is the same thing if you bring a gun, you have to shoot them, that is your only option.

I think he had other options, he could have ran, he could have secured the main area and called the police. It was in his garage, so he was in no immediate danger. He voluntarily stepped into a situation to protect possessions with a means of deterence/defense that has a focused use.

I don't feel sorry for the criminal, I feel sorry for the sword wielder who I think did not think things through and now could be facing a very different future.

I don't see why a man shouldn't have the right to protect his property on his property. What about the burglar? He could have surrendered or skeedaddled, and he would have been all right. As I said, if the student had pursued the burglar and cut him down from behind, he would have put himself in the wrong. This is not what happened.

I realize that our society doesn't approve of taking human life for simple theft of property. I can go along with this, albeit with some reluctance. However, if a burglar is caught in the act and makes a fight of it, as seems to have happened in this case, then he should be neutralized as ruthlessly and efficiently as possible.

I must say that the prevailing attitude of "just call the cops" seems sort of craven and unmanly. To paraphrase my late pal Jeff Cooper, "When the rabbit people think '911,' real men think '1911.'"

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Nice. Cubelet or death!

200px-Samurai_Super_Friends.jpg

"When samurai swords are outlawed only samurai will have swords."

Agnacious

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
just for starters soem people to prefer probably do prefer blunt weapons to bladed but really if the story of the of the kid is true a blunt weapon such as a basball or stick might not have subdued or stopped the person if he moved closed enough to him fast enough, a bladed weapon works without momentum thus it as that advantage. and if the student actually it the guy in head with baseball bat or in some vital organ at full momentum do you think the outcome would have changed?

I understand the advantage of the bladed weapon and yes there could be traumatic injury with a blunt weapon also.

You do have more control with a blunt weapon, force, many surface edges, the injuries will have a longer timeframe before they become critical; internal bleeding, swelling etc. (Yes I know there is the possibility of instant trauma but it is not as likely). Of course the down side is a blunt weapon can be taken from you easier and requires more skill to deliver a stopping response.

As I have said, I am not out to demonize the guy, and I hope that things work out for him.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Dude had 29 arrests for burglary... what does it take to get locked up for real around there?

Doing this in a city other than Baltimore.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah this is so ridiculous if that student gets in trouble. the justice system in this country needs to wake up and get some common sense.

the guy lunged at the students who confronted him and he was protecting himself.

i need a samurai sword ... helps im asian!

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
yeah this is so ridiculous if that student gets in trouble. the justice system in this country needs to wake up and get some common sense.

the guy lunged at the students who confronted him and he was protecting himself.

i need a samurai sword ... helps im asian!

You are Korean. No sword for you. Only pain and hardship.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads