• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best cocktail or bartending books?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a book with recipes, and preferably pictures, to make classic cocktails. Any recommendations?

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ask Huntsman... he even takes swell pictures.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
Just ask Huntsman... he even takes swell pictures.

If Huntsman put out a book then I would certainly buy that!

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MR. Boston is THE classic.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The green hard / spiral bound "Bartender's Bible" is a good reference book to have on hand.

Lately, I've enjoyed a few older school books, such as Imbibe! which is functionally an updated edition of the first widely publicized cocktail book in America by Jerry Thomas.

For something truly special, I am also enjoying the book recently published by the former barkeep at Cyrus.

I have other books but you can't go wrong with some experimentation, the Bartender's Bible and an old school book with classic cocktails like Imbibe!

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read or had most of the new "old school" coctail books: Degroff, Regan, Felton, Wondrich et al. They are all good books, but all seem, to me, to be handicapped by a particular pet love or peeve of the authors, such as Degroff's dislike of egg white (that a properly-made sour is just as good without it. No, not really). And the old books -- Embury, Craddock, &c, are hard to translate into today.

So they are all worthwhile and all fall short to be a bible of the classics.

My suggestion is the incredible niche in the blogosphere devoted to cocktails -- just go somewhere like drinkdogma.com, spiritsandcocktails (alter, Jamie Boudreau at this blog has great photos), or artofdrink and read them as well as checking out their links page -- these are the guys on the forefront of the revival of classic cocktails or the reinvention of the concept (molecular mixology). The only thing I have not seen is a site devoted to hard-core classic and nothing but. Rare and precious is the cocktail bar that does so.

I'd love to write a book, btw, but don't know nearly enough.

Oh, and google "small screen network" to view the cocktail making videos that Robert Hess is putting together. Pretty solid stuff.

~ H

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I've read or had most of the new "old school" coctail books: Degroff, Regan, Felton, Wondrich et al. They are all good books, but all seem, to me, to be handicapped by a particular pet love or peeve of the authors, such as Degroff's dislike of egg white (that a properly-made sour is just as good without it. No, not really). And the old books -- Embury, Craddock, &c, are hard to translate into today.

So they are all worthwhile and all fall short to be a bible of the classics.

My suggestion is the incredible niche in the blogosphere devoted to cocktails -- just go somewhere like drinkdogma.com, spiritsandcocktails (alter, Jamie Boudreau at this blog has great photos), or artofdrink and read them as well as checking out their links page -- these are the guys on the forefront of the revival of classic cocktails or the reinvention of the concept (molecular mixology). The only thing I have not seen is a site devoted to hard-core classic and nothing but. Rare and precious is the cocktail bar that does so.

I'd love to write a book, btw, but don't know nearly enough.

Oh, and google "small screen network" to view the cocktail making videos that Robert Hess is putting together. Pretty solid stuff.

~ H

This.
inlove.gif
Small Screen Network

Cashmoney

Reaction score
Check out the Savoy Cocktail Book. The 1930 classic.

A.K.A.

Reaction score
I like the Ultimate A-Z Bar Guide. It describes in distinct detail every type of distilled spirit, as well as having over 1,000 drink recipes and 600 coctail related definitions.

The Mrs. gave it to me a few years ago and it has truly expanded our cocktail repertoire.

Only drawback is it is a paperback, but it easily fits in our liquor cabinet.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've a rather fetching book from the '60s called The Standard Bartender's Guide, co-authored by heavyweights, James Gavin Duffy and James A.Beard.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Girardian
The green hard / spiral bound "Bartender's Bible" is a good reference book to have on hand.

Mr Boston's is the classic and the one I ended up buying when I got a job bartending. Another bartender showed me her "Bartender's Bible" and I definitely preferred it to Mr Boston's, FWIW.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I liked The New York Bartender's Guide. It just features recipes (more than I've ever seen in any other guide), couple pictures here and there. Except for the fact that it's a little difficult to make it stick to a certain page - perfect.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might add, if a book calls for sour mix, or for citrus juice and not also a sugar of some sort, don't buy it.

~ H

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics