• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JonB27
I bought those and returned them, wasn't feeling them when I saw them on my feet...

But they look so good on PG's....
inlove.gif

Racove

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiniW
^ That is a tough question and I have thought about it before since I wanted to choose between the captoe blucher and captoe boots in black (I actually own both now).

Thanks for your input. My main concern is versatility. I only have the budget for one pair of shell aldens, so I want #8 shell. These would be used 90% of the time for casual wear. However I would like to wear these every time I need a suit, which is a handful of Summer weddings, an annual christmas party, and maybe an unexpected funeral or job interview in the future.

My gut desire is for the boots, but my instincts tell me that shoes are a smarter choice, because of Summer weddings and other more formal affairs. Norwegian Split Toes might even be better than the Captoes. Like the boots, they seem better suited for jeans, yet could still work with a suit. More summer friendly too. Would love more feedback.

Also, I can only seem to find Grant last captoe boots and aberdeen captoe bluchers. Aberdeen runs 1/2 size big like the Barrie, right? What about the Grant?
thanks.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is the official statement on Alden lasts (not for the first time). For a year round single shell, I'd probably go chukka in #8 (well, or a longwing, but I really love longwings). I just don't much like the split toe and don't think a captoe is going to work well casually.

Alden of Carmel last page

Originally Posted by Racove
Thanks for your input. My main concern is versatility. I only have the budget for one pair of shell aldens, so I want #8 shell. These would be used 90% of the time for casual wear. However I would like to wear these every time I need a suit, which is a handful of Summer weddings, an annual christmas party, and maybe an unexpected funeral or job interview in the future.

My gut desire is for the boots, but my instincts tell me that shoes are a smarter choice, because of Summer weddings and other more formal affairs. Norwegian Split Toes might even be better than the Captoes. Like the boots, they seem better suited for jeans, yet could still work with a suit. More summer friendly too. Would love more feedback.

Also, I can only seem to find Grant last captoe boots and aberdeen captoe bluchers. Aberdeen runs 1/2 size big like the Barrie, right? What about the Grant?
thanks.

Morgan

Reaction score
My first pair of Aldens was the 974 wingtip in #8, and it's still my most versatile shoe. They are pictured on page 7 of this thread. I think a straight or punch cap would be equally versatile, but I've worn those wingtips with jeans, suits, and everything in between and the shoes were always just right. They are real chameleons.

They are on the Grant last, which runs 1/2 size large for me. I usually take a 9D but sized down to 8.5D on the Grant. The toe box isn't quite as big as on the Barrie, so they were just a smidgen snug at first, but now that the cordovan has broken in they one of my best-fitting pairs.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thanks.

Cordovan wears hot and it's possible you'll not want to wear a shell shoe or boot at a summer wedding. Buy the boots for the 90%, and buy simple $60 Rockport dress shoes for those suit-wearing occasions. If you baby them, you should be able to wear them a few times a year and still have them look as good as what everyone else wears to these events.

The "one-shoe" philosophy is dubious ...

Racove

Reaction score
not looking for one shoe. just one shell shoe. did not realize cordovan wears hot. good point.

i realize that wingtips and/or longwings are less dressy than captoes, but they are also more flashy, at least they would be to my peers.

thanks for the last link. forgot about that one. i fit 8.5 indy boot, 8 in barrie wingtips. i tried the grant, but can't recall if 8 or 8.5 (sorry). any guess for the aberdeen?

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not looking for one shoe. just one shell shoe. did not realize cordovan wears hot. good point.

i realize that wingtips and/or longwings are less dressy than captoes, but they are also more flashy, at least they would be to my peers.

thanks for the last link. forgot about that one. i fit 8.5 indy boot, 8 in barrie wingtips. i tried the grant, but can't recall if 8 or 8.5 (sorry). any guess for the aberdeen?

8.5 in indy and 8 in barrie? hmmm ... that is interesting. Do you wear a 8.5D (indy) and 8E (barrie)?

Most people take the same size in trublance and barrie lasts, (on which these shoes are built). Aberdeen is typically your usual size, either same width or one up.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aberdeen fits smaller and narrower than the Barrie. It is quite a sleek last IMO. If you wear a 8D in the Barrie, I would recommend a 8D, 8E, 8.5D, or even 8.5E in the Aberdeen.

rick

Reaction score
bad pic of a cool shoe, ravello shell longwing.
IMG00041.jpg

erbs

Reaction score
I agree; definitely my favorite Alden cordovan.

rick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by erbs
I agree; definitely my favorite Alden cordovan.

i will try to post better pics my camera is broke, so the picture i took is not great. the ravello is really a great color.

mechanical pencil

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Morgan
My first pair of Aldens was the 974 wingtip in #8, and it's still my most versatile shoe. They are pictured on page 7 of this thread. I think a straight or punch cap would be equally versatile, but I've worn those wingtips with jeans, suits, and everything in between and the shoes were always just right. They are real chameleons.

They are on the Grant last, which runs 1/2 size large for me. I usually take a 9D but sized down to 8.5D on the Grant. The toe box isn't quite as big as on the Barrie, so they were just a smidgen snug at first, but now that the cordovan has broken in they one of my best-fitting pairs.

Very helpful post, thanks.

The only wingtips I can find that look like yours are listed as being on the "Tremont" last.

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men..._cordovan.html

Is the sizing of the Tremont similar to the Grant?

I'm looking for an Alden wingtip that would work for exactly what you describe (mostly jeans and occasional suit wear) and am torn between the shoe above and the longwing. I think I need to see more pics of longwings worn with suits to know if they can work...

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads