• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3 piece suit:Trendy, classic or outdated?

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ferguscan
Why would anyone want to bespeak a suit without a matching waistcoat?

Because living in a hot and/or humid climate makes them impractical for much of the year. Still, despite my environs, I have two bespoke suits with a vest.

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
3 piece suits are classic and always acceptable -if- you can pull off the look.
In my opinion, fit is number one, followed by styling, colors, textures & variety.
3 piece suits look great on every body frame & size providing the mans tailor is experienced and skilled. I only wish pocket watches would become the rage again. I love the look of a draping chain on non-military wear.

mimile

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRogers
They're fine if you're old enough to wear them, but really they are not feasible for the very young, i.e. early 20s. For someone that young, they come close to costume, unfortunately, but once you're old enough, order nothing else!

Andrew,
when do we become old enough ?
laugh.gif

I thinks it is a big refinement these days to have a 3 piece suits. I heard but I am not sure that even on Savile Row, 3 piece suits are hard to get. I have 2 of these and love them above all.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Andrew is right on that particular point...If you're 35 + , it is easier to pull off the 3 piece look than if you're in your twenties..

It is a very classic and business minded and a certain age is required if you do not want to look like you have borrowed your dad's suit for a night out..

I have many navy , charcoal or grey suit and I do see the 3 piece suit as an alternative to the straight business suit..

gshen

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRogers
They're fine if you're old enough to wear them, but really they are not feasible for the very young, i.e. early 20s. For someone that young, they come close to costume, unfortunately, but once you're old enough, order nothing else!

Oh dear.. i'm going to have to put that vest away for a good 10 years
cry.gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Single breasted jacket with peak lapels ..You have panache my friend..

I like the waiscoat...

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Andrew is right on that particular point...If you're 35 + , it is easier to pull off the 3 piece look than if you're in your twenties..

It is a very classic and business minded and a certain age is required if you do not want to look like you have borrowed your dad's suit for a night out..

I have many navy , charcoal or grey suit and I do see the 3 piece suit as an alternative to the straight business suit..

I think you can pull it off after 35 for business, but you can pull it off at any age for a dress-up occasion.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
Coincidentally, I've just received fall's commissions all of which are three piece as well as an extra odd waistcoat.

So, what did you order? And are you happy with this season's additions?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No no ...I have my own demons at the moment..Flannel and another one button suit in classic navy fabric...For the latter , I'm looking for a twist and i can't get it at the moment...

For the latter,It could be a classic 3 piece , a sb with peak lapels (an old project of mine discussed on sf)...Time will tell..

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say they car classic more than anything. Maybe not so trendy since you don't really see them that often but not outdated. They may not be as popular as they once were but are still worn in todays tiems and with shows like mad men are due to make a comeback.

CityGent

Reaction score
It's a classic look which happens to be once again "trendy." As much as I like 3-piece suits and the look that goes along with it, I (30 y/o white male, working in finance in NYC) can't imagine actually wearing them in a professional setting.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
So, what did you order? And are you happy with this season's additions?

Time will tell, there's some exciting stuff and unusual stuff waiting for its debut. I can't say if I'm happy with it yet, novelty hasn't worn off. It am pleased with the execution though and I guess this is the year of the three piece for me.

lasbar: I know what you mean by the SBPL being somewhat niche and impractical. My SBPL doesn't see that much use either, but I do enjoy it very much. I got this latest SBPL in a very conservative colour so hopefully it will see more use.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great on paper. Mostly impractical in real life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics