• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Bought my Wife an Expensive Handbag ><

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scruffy second hand hand bag. Will she consider that a gift or an error of judgement. I would try to get the thing refurbished if possible, otherwise sell it again and get something more apprpriate.

The very fact that you are asking confirms to me that you have significant doubts.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Have a professional do it, such as Art-Craft (Madison Avenue) and Evelyn & San (E. 83rd St.), both in NYC. They will do a much better job than you could do.

Of course, you can send it to Chanel NYC, but it will be sending it out. I doubt that it has an in-house handbag maker on the premises. (Hermes NYC does it handbag repairs in-house.)

Good luck.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm intrigued about what the bag looks like - style-wise.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Scruffy second hand hand bag. Will she consider that a gift or an error of judgement. I would try to get the thing refurbished if possible, otherwise sell it again and get something more apprpriate.

The very fact that you are asking confirms to me that you have significant doubts.

Well sure I have doubts. I bought used, so like anything used, you will have doubts

Looks like I will probably do some type of send-away refurb on this, just need to find best value

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
I'm intrigued about what the bag looks like - style-wise.

6808d1250853426-auth-pre-owned-chanel-2-55-bags-assorted-colors-sizes-sale-lambskin25cm110.jpg

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Classic, timeless bag. Good choice and she'll love it. I agree with the others about using a reputable service; Chanel will send it out to somebody... maybe you could find out who they use and go direct to them (they will probably be cheaper!) As for the above who questioned your purchase, Chanel bags are timeless in this style and a new one will run $2500-3000 or thereabouts. SO, buying a vintage one both gives it a little history and saves you some money. I think you made the right decision. Though, with a Chanel baseline, she will soon be wanting Hermes, and even used you'll be looking at something costing as much as a decent used car.
wink.gif

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
6808d1250853426-auth-pre-owned-chanel-2-55-bags-assorted-colors-sizes-sale-lambskin25cm110.jpg

Thanks. That bag is a classic - and any woman worth their salt would greatly appreciate the trouble their man went through to find a classic item and have it refurbished as best as he can.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Though, with a Chanel baseline, she will soon be wanting Hermes, and even used you'll be looking at something costing as much as a decent used car.
wink.gif

I was going to buy my ex a Hermes bag. She walked in the boutique with me to see if they sold Lobbs and fell in love with a beautiful handbag. I can honestly say that this bag dwarfs what most 19 year olds will pay for their first car
frown.gif

braised

Reaction score
Refurbish it - you'll get points for scoring vintage and then again for restoring to top condition. B

Lulworth

Reaction score
Okay, so I splurged and got a vintage used Chanel bag for my wife as a xmas present (until she finds it of course, nothing can be hidden well enough)

It's made of quilted lambskin in a solid black (probably from the late 80s or early 90s I'd guess). It has some noticeable wear on it near the corners of the bottom and light scratches here and there.

Question is: should I try and polish it up myself or send it away to a professional?

I called up the Chanel store in NYC and the lady recommended using a Meltonian cream, called #170 that's supposedly for delicate leather. Of course she then recommended I send it in for Chanel's "full treatment" which runs $265 and takes 2-3 months to complete (making xmas a risk)

Anyone with some experience/knowledge in this?

Superior Leathers in Manhattan will know what to do with it.
http://www.superiorleathernyc.com/

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lulworth
Superior Leathers in Manhattan will know what to do with it.
http://www.superiorleathernyc.com/

Thanks. I spoke with the owner on the phone and I think I will give them a shot!

Cost does not seem outrageous either.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just spoke with the Rago Brothers folks in NJ

They seem to have quite a bit of experience at a very reasonable price, so now I'm leaning more toward the Rago Brothers in NJ

thanks for the suggestions

+2 on rago brothers... they seem to have an old world method where they apply a special sauce to the leather that replenishes it...
mwink[1].gif

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Though, with a Chanel baseline, she will soon be wanting Hermes, and even used you'll be looking at something costing as much as a decent used car.
wink.gif

this was my mistake. been paying for it ever since
frown.gif
although in fairness she gets me my holy grails so favors must be returned
mwink[1].gif

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gsugsu
Before buying my wife her Chanel bag I signed up for the Purse Forum. You think SF members can be hardcore. Those Chanelista's are crazy. However, they provided me with guidance so that I wouldn't make a mistake. Unfortunately, I now know far too much about Chanel bags and that information has supplanted more important info in my brain like passwords and when to pay the power bill.

my condolences

When we were in Florence, we went to the Ferragamo flagship.... suffice it to say that at the end of that extravaganza, they gave us a free tour of the museum.
shog[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics