• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Safari/Bush Jacket?

Taken Aback

Reaction score
More out of curiosity than any intent to buy (who knows, though), I was wondering if any label, now or past, sold safari jackets in colors other than khaki?

I had once seen one in black (guess where), but I suspect it was a one-off. I see no mention online of any other than the khaki/stone/sand/natural variety.

Of course, this is the place to ask for sure.
wink.gif

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You see vintage ones in a pale blue quite often, and I recall seeing a navy jacket a few years back.

dsmolken

Reaction score
I might have seen a black safari jacket in a Far Side cartoon featuring "the epitome of evil among butterfly collectors", I think his name was professor DeArmond or something similar. My memory of this is dim, but he may have had a black pith helmet, too.

hankwx

Reaction score
i think ive seen aquascutum make black ones...

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Taken Aback
All from one brand?

The pale blue ones came from various makes - popular in the 70's in synthetics.

The navy one was Barracuta

Taken Aback

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsmolken
I might have seen a black safari jacket in a Far Side cartoon featuring "the epitome of evil among butterfly collectors", I think his name was professor DeArmond or something similar. My memory of this is dim, but he may have had a black pith helmet, too.
Hmm, that wasn't where I saw it (for real), but considering that was a black & white cartoon, it could have been any color.
wink.gif
Originally Posted by hankwx
i think ive seen aquascutum make black ones...
Thanks, but I can't find it by Google. If you can point me somewhere....
Originally Posted by ManofKent
The pale blue ones came from various makes - popular in the 70's in synthetics. The navy one was Barracuta
Can't find that either. Navy doesn't sound too bad, though.
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Sierra had a dark blue polo for $50.
Much thanks. The slant of the pockets is a little untraditional, though. Not what I remember seeing, which was more classic in cut and design.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A black safari would be strictly "fashion" only as you'd never wear it in the bush... so searching the traditional/real safari makers is probably a bit of a dead-end.

You'd probably not want a white one either... unless you really do wish to look like the tasty hind-end of an antelope.
laugh.gif

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score
PRL black linen canvas (18 - 20 oz.) @ $365 in the late '90s or early '00s.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
BB had a safari-inspired multi-pocket jacket in navy last year selling at around $600 full retail.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
A black safari would be strictly "fashion" only as you'd never wear it in the bush... so searching the traditional/real safari makers is probably a bit of a dead-end.

You'd probably not want a white one either... unless you really do wish to look like the tasty hind-end of an antelope.
laugh.gif

The noted ivory hunter/poacher and authority on African rifles John Taylor wrote that he preferred to wear black clothes in the bush since so much of Africa was burned over by brush fires or the natives. He felt they made the best camouflage.

However, I have my suspicions that Taylor, who was way gay, may have been something of a fraud and poseur.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads