• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leica X1

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a locked my focus on this for DEC 09!

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
I have a locked my focus on this for DEC 09!

If Phatty has locked his focus for Dec 09, I am working on a bracketing the X1 and an EP-1 or GF-1.

I played with the EP-1 yesterday for about an hour, I was impressed, but if the Leica is what they say it is, I am with YFYF, it's 'only' 2K

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I want one of these and an MP. That would make me a happy man.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23
Is there a reason? I would think it's opulence and price tag would make you swoon, are you more of an Alpa guy?

I think he hates them for introducing the snide marketing exercise that is the X1.

--Andre

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
I think he hates them for introducing the snide marketing exercise that is the X1.

--Andre

You're not a fan?

videocrew

Reaction score
I'm starting to understand this camera, its certainly not an "only camera" type of thing, but I guess if you really had to spend $2000 on taking pictures of your kids or something, its not bad. I'd pick up a Sigma DP1 though for such a single-purpose use. Or, again, I'd get a GF-1 with the 20mm pancake, then buy this: http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microf...l#45-200f40-56 and have a hell of a kit that I can slip in the pocket of my jacket on a hike or walking around town, and slap on the zoom for a baseball game.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by videocrew
I'm starting to understand this camera, its certainly not an "only camera" type of thing, but I guess if you really had to spend $2000 on taking pictures of your kids or something, its not bad.
Most of the people clamoring for this are street and documentary photographers (well, mostly wannabes...). The photography of a Robert Frank or Henri-Cartier Bresson is just not that easy or fun to pull off carrying a dSLR. Current compacts tend to be slow to operate, not write in RAW, have wee tiny sensors.

There was no digital equivalent to a Leica M (or even Olympus OM) until recently, with the X1, the micro-4/3 cameras, maybe the Ricoh GR-D series. Canon has a nice new compact that does RAW as well. For about 1/5 the price of the Leica.

I've heard less than stellar things about the current micro-4/3 cameras (such as focus speed is slow as ****, slow RAW writing, etc.).

A lot of these will be sold to rich people who want bragging rights for ****** photos, absolutely. But many of them will be sold to serious hobbyists, artists and even professionals.

andyw

Reaction score
How many are aware of the Ricoh GRD series? I have a GRD II and love it. The new GRD III was just released.

While it doesn't have the heritage nor cachet of the Leica, I am quite impressed with the technical innovation and the feel of the Ricoh camera. The GRD has full manual controls and I am reminded of my experience with film photography and being in total control of the outcome.

http://ricohgrdiary.wordpress.com/20...-iii-anounced/

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
You're not a fan?

Sorry, not a fan, but if it's any consolation, that's just based on their press release and pictures they've shown of it.

--Andre

aizan

Reaction score
everyone's going to be making this sort of camera pretty soon, so i wouldn't rush into it. there are a number of features that are conspicuously missing:

image stabilization
920000-dot lcd
built-in optical viewfinder (at least one like the contax t3 or minolta tc-1. don't tell me an accessory viewfinder is a viable option, it isn't. it's only something you put up with on superwides, unless you have a voigtlander bessa r4...or an ≤18mm lens. lol.)

weather sealing would be nice, too. a carry everywhere camera should be usable in all weather. look to nikon and pentax to deliver on this feature.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aizan
everyone's going to be making this sort of camera pretty soon, so i wouldn't rush into it. there are a number of features that are conspicuously missing:

image stabilization
920000-dot lcd
built-in optical viewfinder (at least one like the contax t3 or minolta tc-1. don't tell me an accessory viewfinder is a viable option, it isn't. it's only something you put up with on superwides, unless you have a voigtlander bessa r4...or an ≤18mm lens. lol.)

weather sealing would be nice, too. a carry everywhere camera should be usable in all weather. look to nikon and pentax to deliver on this feature.

For the X1, an accessory viewfinder is viable, because the X1 is fixed lens.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What good is weather sealing on a camera with lenses which are not weather sealed?
image stabilization on a 35mm?

!luc

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads