• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official MMA thread

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Invicta
Those are some damn big guys. Ex-NFL means big and quick, which is the stuff nighmares are made of, if those guys show any kind of striking talent they'll be terrifying. Slim, was that Demico in the green Tapout shirt standing next to Wes and Rashad around 3:36?

Yeah. That's the little guy.
smile.gif

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rampage is a funny dude.

From what I have been told *spoiler aleart*

KImbo get ko'ed first fight. Those are some big boys. I look forward to a healthy young crop of good fighters. Roy nelson should do well.

bob_gnarly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
There's a great story about Bas Rutten and a certain NFL player...

was that his run in with brian urlacher?

on another note, what to watch on the 19th? Floyd vs marquez? or ufc 103?

track309

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bob_gnarly
was that his run in with brian urlacher?

I wish they would have stepped outside. Bas dropping him would be priceless.

http://chicagosmma.com/2009/08/bas-r...rlacher-story/

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
Rampage is a funny dude.

From what I have been told *spoiler aleart*

KImbo get ko'ed first fight. Those are some big boys. I look forward to a healthy young crop of good fighters. Roy nelson should do well.

I heard that awhile back too but it's been shot down many times. Now the current rumor is that he wins his 1st, loses his 2nd.

Oxnard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I heard that awhile back too but it's been shot down many times. Now the current rumor is that he wins his 1st, loses his 2nd.

I hope so, it would be funny if he loses quickly as Kimbo has been at heart of nearly all of their advertising campaigns for the new season. Having kimbo on there is actually my least favorite aspect of the new season, everything else looks pretty entertaining so far. Will be great if he gets KTFO though, but I must admit I am curious to see if they have him living in the house with everyone else and the drama that ensues.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oxnard
I hope so, it would be funny if he loses quickly as Kimbo has been at heart of nearly all of their advertising campaigns for the new season. Having kimbo on there is actually my least favorite aspect of the new season, everything else looks pretty entertaining so far. Will be great if he gets KTFO though, but I must admit I am curious to see if they have him living in the house with everyone else and the drama that ensues.

I've already read by one of the contestants that they all liked Kimbo: nice guy, big family man, great steak barbecuist.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
I've already read by one of the contestants that they all liked Kimbo: nice guy, big family man, great steak barbecuist.

I can respect that. I mean, wtf does it matter that he got his start on youtube, has fought in some dubious matchups, got KO'd by Seth Petruzelli, shaves one side of his chest, or whatever. From everything I've read and seen of him, including pre-fight interviews, he is just a reasonable guy trying to make a living. Honestly, I'd much rather see him than Brock Lesnar, who seems like a major dillhole, on the top of the UFC foodchain.

I will bet $10 that he will show up in the UFC after the show, even if he gets KTFO, if Dana and co. thinks that he has *some* potential and good work ethic. There are plenty of guys from TUF who have gone from even first round losses to regular fights in the UFC, and Kimbo is a bigger draw than any of them. He'll probably go into training for 6 months, or whatever the powers that be deem necessary, at a top level camp, and then be fed a steady diet of easy fights before he gets real competition. Then, he will get KO'd by a real top level fighter who needs someone to showcase their skills on (see Forrest Griffin vs. Anderson Silva, Chris Leben vs. Anderson Silva, Travis Lutter vs. Anderson Silva, Keith Jardine vs. Wanderlei Silva, Michael Bisping vs. Dan Henderson, Joe Stevenson vs. ** Penn, Kenny Florian vs, ** Penn, Rashad Evans vs. Lyoto Machida.) Thinking about it, Black House actually has a lot to thank TUF alum for
smile.gif

Oxnard

Reaction score
I don't have any problem with Mr.Slice himself, I just don't like the way that the UFC is using him for hype. Dana White always has different efforts with beefing up the records of TUF fighters, Kimbo is a very well known name and I think they are using him to pull in new viewers, and honestly I think the UFC wants him to lose to someone else on the show, as it will hype up the other fighters in the house. In my mind this is similar to how the just UFC took back Frank Trigg(upcoming fight against Josh Koshcheck) and Phil Barroni(upcoming fight against Amir Sadollah) to set them up against previous TUF fighters, as they are relatively well known names who competed in other leagues, that will look good in the win column of any TUF alumni. Also half the fun of the TUF shows for me is getting to see the up and coming talent of that division, Slice just feels a bit too gimmicky for me.

Brian SD

Reaction score
The only thing I don't like about the Kimbo Slice deal is that UFC has been trying pretty hard over the past few years to legitimize MMA as a real sport and this seems like one of several recent moves away from legitimization to silly PPV theatre.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
The only thing I don't like about the Kimbo Slice deal is that UFC has been trying pretty hard over the past few years to legitimize MMA as a real sport and this seems like one of several recent moves away from legitimization to silly PPV theatre.
Not necessarily. I think one of the best ways to show people the real difference between a backyard brawler and a true MMA athlete is to put him up against real fighters in a setting that a lot of people will watch. An average person can learn a lot from the sport by watching that show, and is better for the UFC as a business and as an educational tool to let him has a fair chance at getting into the UFC in front of the many people who are his fans and don't know much about the sport. I think this would in fact do a lot to legitimize it, by showing just how different Kimbo is from the rest of the guys. Or, it could show how Kimbo goes from being a scrapper to something more (unless the spoilers - though I must say they are likely - are to be believed), and in that process could show people just a little of what it takes to be in the UFC as far as skills are concerned. It can alter a lot of perceptions.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Not necessarily. I think one of the best ways to show people the real difference between a backyard brawler and a true MMA athlete is to put him up against real fighters in a setting that a lot of people will watch. An average person can learn a lot from the sport by watching that show, and is better for the UFC as a business and as an educational tool to let him has a fair chance at getting into the UFC in front of the many people who are his fans and don't know much about the sport.

I think this would in fact do a lot to legitimize it, by showing just how different Kimbo is from the rest of the guys. Or, it could show how Kimbo goes from being a scrapper to something more (unless the spoilers - though I must say they are likely - are to be believed), and in that process could show people just a little of what it takes to be in the UFC as far as skills are concerned. It can alter a lot of perceptions.

No, I think you're right about that, but what you're talking about is mostly a concern for pre-established groups - MMA fans and Kimbo Slice fans. What's going to be significant is that it's being marketed as a huge thing for Kimbo to be in MMA, and that's what people who aren't super familiar with it are going to see it as.

JaPo

Reaction score
Surely, were Kimbo trained in some sort of discipline from a young age - a martial art or wrestling - he'd be a decent fighter. I don't doubt he has the cajones and dedication.

After hyping him up as the baddest man of the planet for so long, the internet has done a good job in discrediting all of his achievements and streetfighting ability. I mean, surely to some degree this guy is pretty ******* hard for pounding the skulls of those backyard chumps who, in their own respect, were probably pretty tough too. Just not disciplined. I seem to recall him mentioning taking apart an adult who stole his bike, aged eight. His chin, displayed in his street fights, seemed to disappear when he fought Petruzelli. I simply cannot understand how he can get right hooked, solidly, by a 200 pounder on the jaw and keep fighting, but get prodded on the chin by some squirt and start whimpering. It's aaaaaaaaaall in the technique i guess.

I'm from the UK and thus have little knowledge of TUF. Will they send him through a crash course of BBJ or wrestling so he can pass muster with some of the better trained fighters?

Oxnard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JaPo
I'm from the UK and thus have little knowledge of TUF. Will they send him through a crash course of BBJ or wrestling so he can pass muster with some of the better trained fighters?
Kimbo has been on a crash course on basic BJJ, wrestling, and other martial arts skills (though on a very low level) for the past few years, remember before the demise of the Elite XC Kimbo Slice was signed to them and was really like one of their biggest stars that they were promoting. He had a couple fights prior to Petruzelli knocking his ass out, and when Petruzelli knocked him out the Elite XC went bankrupt soon thereafter. Internet hype is only worth so much, I really don't expect the man to survive in the UFC at all, especially in the heavyweight division.

-On a side note, I am very excited about tomorrow night's fight night in addition to the TUF premier. I think Roger Huerta is going to come back in style and tear through Gray Maynard. Should be an exciting fight night overall.

JaPo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oxnard
Kimbo has been on a crash course on basic BJJ, wrestling, and other martial arts skills (though on a very low level) for the past few years, remember before the demise of the Elite XC Kimbo Slice was signed to them and was really like one of their biggest stars that they were promoting.

Yeah I thought as much. I meant a super-intensive crash courseâ„¢ with the UFC staff.

I saw his other fight; Ray Mercer, Tank Abbott, James Thompson. All similarly hopeless, it seems.

What's the heavyweight division in the UFC like at the moment? I heard pretty poor. Who's Brock fighting next?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads