• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

erbs

Reaction score
#8 shell would look pretty badass with that purple Ervell tweed suit.

Racove

Reaction score
glad to see ya'll agree on the indy. just wishful thinking.

any practical considerations regarding #8 shell captoe bluchers vs. captoe boots? might seem like a silly question, but i want to consider all angles. both could work for a suit or jeans, no? which is worse, boots in summer or shoes in winter? might topy them too.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ That is a tough question and I have thought about it before since I wanted to choose between the captoe blucher and captoe boots in black (I actually own both now). I think the main difference is that the welt on the bluchers are much closer to the leather giving the shoes a much more dressier appearance. The welt on Alden boots are generally wider and gives the boots a more rugged appearance, but could still work with suits that are thick in material or possible slim suits as there'd be a nice contrast between the slimness of the clothes and the wideness of the footwear.

Also it depends on where you work, if you work in a very traditional place where the average age is 40+, I'd stick with the bluchers as they would look great but not draw any unneeded attention. But if you are more fashion forward and can get away with it. I'd go for the boots, and I would think they are more suited for fall/winter. For dress boots I would also recommend the Plaza last as it is more refined than the Grant Last (which looks more militaryish).

I hope that helps in a little bit at least.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fashunhor
Is the only difference the crepe sole on the Roys? If so I wish the Roys came in black. I think I might have to get the Plain Toe IIs.
The leather on the flex welt boots is much softer (iirc, called "tumbled lady calf" or something). The leather on the Roy boots will be thicker and sturdy.

fashunhor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
why dont you like the crepe sole

I am not against it. I have a pair of Clarks that are crepe and they wear out faster than leather or rubber sole. But I have already heard that the Alden crepes wear well. I also like the idea of a crepe for comfort but if I am paying ~$500 for boots, I want them to last obviously.

That is why I am trying to compare the Flex Toe II with the Roy. I wish the Roys came in black but since they don't I am thinking of getting the Flex Toe II if they are the same boot.

fashunhor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
The leather on the flex welt boots is much softer (iirc, called "tumbled lady calf" or something). The leather on the Roy boots will be thicker and sturdy.

Does this difference in leather make much of a difference overall or is it just a quality appreciated by those particular about their leather?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fashunhor
I am not against it. I have a pair of Clarks that are crepe and they wear out faster than leather or rubber sole. But I have already heard that the Alden crepes wear well. I also like the idea of a crepe for comfort but if I am paying ~$500 for boots, I want them to last obviously.

That is why I am trying to compare the Flex Toe II with the Roy. I wish the Roys came in black but since they don't I am thinking of getting the Flex Toe II if they are the same boot.

The Alden crepe sole is in an entirely different league than Clarks. It's much tougher and stiffer. No worries - you'll definitely get a lot of wear out if it.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Unlined suede.
suedechukkas.jpg

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ yeah those are sweet. they are a future buy for sure.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
not feelin those

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder how would the alden unlined chukkas work with their crepe sole instead of the flex welt soul?

JonB27

Reaction score
I bought those and returned them, wasn't feeling them when I saw them on my feet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads