• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classical Ladies Watch / Question

newtrane

Reaction score
I have been looking for a classical, versatile, "timeless" ladies watch for some time.

Budget is about USD 5'000 - 10'000, the watch should have an automatic movement.

I already looked into the well know brands (JLC, Omega etc.) but found the selection rather disappointing. Either the watches are "jewelry watches" (not appropriate for business or casual occasions) or "fashion watches" (with modern designs and huge sporty dials).

What do you recommend?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know about JLC, their ladies reverso is one of the most elegant, understated and classic lines around at that price level.

justindo

Reaction score
I wouldn't call Omega or JLC "fashion" or "jewelry" watches. They do make some sporty models and some models with diamonds, but they both make some pretty conservative, classic watches, especially JLC. My wife's everyday watch is a steel JLC Reverso on black alligator that is quite sober on one side and a little dressier with diamonds on the other. It's manual, not automatic, but it's small, tasteful, and timeless. JLC Reversos are tremendous values with the steel models on the lower end of your price range and the gold models on the upper end.

If you don't like the JLCs, take a look at the Cartier Tanks. They are quartz and, in my opinion, not a particularly good value, but they are about as classic as you can get for women. They can be had on the lower end of your price range. If you prefer a round watch and don't mind a manual movement, both Patek and Breguet make simple time only watches in gold (white or yellow) with no diamonds, however they might exceed your budget, especially the Patek.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
I don't know about JLC, their ladies reverso is one of the most elegant, understated and classic lines around at that price level.
Yup, seconded, thread over.
Originally Posted by justindo
I wouldn't call Omega or JLC "fashion" or "jewelry" watches. They do make some sporty models and some models with diamonds, but they both make some pretty conservative, classic watches, especially JLC. My wife's everyday watch is a steel JLC Reverso on black alligator that is quite sober on one side and a little dressier with diamonds on the other. It's manual, not automatic, but it's small, tasteful, and timeless. JLC Reversos are tremendous values with the steel models on the lower end of your price range and the gold models on the upper end. If you don't like the JLCs, take a look at the Cartier Tanks. They are quartz and, in my opinion, not a particularly good value, but they are about as classic as you can get for women. They can be had on the lower end of your price range. If you prefer a round watch and don't mind a manual movement, both Patek and Breguet make simple time only watches in gold (white or yellow) with no diamonds, however they might exceed your budget, especially the Patek.
Female friend has a yellow gold JLC Reverso Duo, mom and a couple of other female friends have Tanks. I definitely prefer the JLC.

newtrane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Yup, seconded, thread over.

Female friend has a yellow gold JLC Reverso Duo, mom and a couple of other female friends have Tanks. I definitely prefer the JLC.

Yes, but that is exactly the problem. Everybody has a Reverso. I am looking for something special.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I gave my wife a plain, steel Reverso. As classic as a Cartier Tank, but less expensive, less common and better made. My wife likes rectangular watches because they look more bracelet-like on the wrist. For your budget, you could get a gold Reverso and have change to spare.

breitlingman

Reaction score
I find with women, their goals for watches are not always the same as mens. While men prefer a horological masterpeice, women tend to be more concerned about the overall look. While I personally quite like the Reverso, and my wife likes it as well, it would be far from a first choice for her - but every woman is different.

Most women I know tend to gravitate towards the jewelry brands such as Cartier or Piaget, and the rest would pick Rolex. All of these brands make fantastic watches that are both automatic and classic designs... I think you would be hard pressed to find a design that is both classic and very unique at the same time - for a women's watch, anyway.

justindo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by newtrane
Yes, but that is exactly the problem. Everybody has a Reverso. I am looking for something special.
Really? Other than my wife I've never seen a woman wearing one. Cartiers and Rolexes are a dime a dozen but JLCs are quite rare. I certainly think a Reverso is "something special." If you want something "more special," you'll have to increase your budget.

newtrane

Reaction score
I am based in Europe - the JLC reverso is quite popular here, while Rolex is considered to be for "proletarians".

What do you think of this one?

gsugsu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
The Cartier Tank springs to mind.

+1. You cannot go wrong with a Tank Americaine, Francaise or better yet, Tank Louis Cartier.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by breitlingman
I find with women, their goals for watches are not always the same as mens. While men prefer a horological masterpeice, women tend to be more concerned about the overall look. While I personally quite like the Reverso, and my wife likes it as well, it would be far from a first choice for her - but every woman is different.

Most women I know tend to gravitate towards the jewelry brands such as Cartier or Piaget, and the rest would pick Rolex. All of these brands make fantastic watches that are both automatic and classic designs... I think you would be hard pressed to find a design that is both classic and very unique at the same time - for a women's watch, anyway.

VERY true!

I got my gf a Chanel J40. She LOVES it. If I were picking out her next watch based on what *I* like, it'd be a Reverso. When the time comes, I won't be offended if she wants something more jewelry-like than horologically significant.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by newtrane
I am based in Europe - the JLC reverso is quite popular here, while Rolex is considered to be for "proletarians".

What do you think of this one?

Very few women would like that watch. It looks too much like a man's watch.

Rob_Sutherland

Reaction score
Cartier Baignoire

About as timeless as you can get.

14339.jpg

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rolex with single circle of diamonds on a bezel. Nice compromise between classic timepiece and jewelry.
Most adult women would want metal bracelet, it is more jewelry-like.

My GF wants Dior Crystal watch and although I think it is pos I understand its aesthetic value for her.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads