• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Picked this bottle up this today:

IMG_0120.jpg

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had the Vintage Bourbon 17 year old last week -- I liked it. Spicey and complex.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Picked this bottle up this today:

IMG_0120.jpg

Good find. How did you find it? Corn is very distinct in the mashbill, which I like.

Originally Posted by Girardian
I had the Vintage Bourbon 17 year old last week -- I liked it. Spicey and complex.

It is growing on me. When I first bought it, I had a WTF moment with my first glass, and didn't have another until a few weeks later. I am not sure but it seems as if breathing a bit really opened it up.

Having a Knob Creek right now, amd probably progress into Pappy Van Winkle 15 yo or the Hudson Four Grain a little later.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Good find. How did you find it? Corn is very distinct in the mashbill, which I like.

Haven't tried it yet. Maybe next weekend. Also had the straight rye there, but as my shopping cart was already getting a bit expensive looking, I passed on it this visit.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Haven't tried it yet. Maybe next weekend. Also had the straight rye there, but as my shopping cart was already getting a bit expensive looking, I passed on it this visit.

oooh, bad idea, one of the best ryes I have had in a long time.. Put back some of that fancy schmancy wine and get the rye next time..
laugh.gif

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I promised that I would get the rye a while back, but I think they only had the basic version, rather than the 10yr.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not, should I?

I think if you like Noah's Mill you'll like Rowans a lot. Its very smooth and has a nice dry finish. I don't like overtly sweet bourbons so this profile suits me.

If it was the standard, its ok. If you passed on the ten year though, ouch!

Mr T

Reaction score
In rectifying my bourbon ignorance I have recently worked my way through bottles of Knob Creek, Bulleit and Makers. I thought the Knob was very smooth but really liked the bit of spice in Bulleit.

Today I picked up Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Buffalo Trace. I would appreciate any recommendations for the next bottle or two - preferably something readily available as I have been banished to the hinterlands for the next year. Price is less a concern than availability.

Thanks.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr T
In rectifying my bourbon ignorance I have recently worked my way through bottles of Knob Creek, Bulleit and Makers. I thought the Knob was very smooth but really liked the bit of spice in Bulleit.

Today I picked up Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Buffalo Trace. I would appreciate any recommendations for the next bottle or two - preferably something readily available as I have been banished to the hinterlands for the next year. Price is less a concern than availability.

Thanks.

You might be better off giving us some names of bourbons your store carries, I could literally give you 10 or 12 recommendations.. Either that or take a look at some of the stuff I've posted.. I am pretty picky about my bourbon, and rarely give a bottle a second chance so my own rotation is pretty close to what I would recommend you anyway.. Good luck in the hinterlands, drink plenty, drink often..

Mr T

Reaction score
You might be better off giving us some names of bourbons your store carries, I could literally give you 10 or 12 recommendations.. Either that or take a look at some of the stuff I've posted.. I am pretty picky about my bourbon, and rarely give a bottle a second chance so my own rotation is pretty close to what I would recommend you anyway.. Good luck in the hinterlands, drink plenty, drink often..

Thank you. That is a good idea.

For the record, I just poured my first Buffalo Trace and it is just awesome. Fruity but not so sweet as Makers. My favorite so far.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr T
Thank you. That is a good idea.

For the record, I just poured my first Buffalo Trace and it is just awesome. Fruity but not so sweet as Makers. My favorite so far.

Buffalo Trace is good, but you are in for an awakening if you try some of the others..

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Working on a bottle of Russell's Reserve 10 Year... too hot neat, but a lot better with a touch of water. Good on rocks. Overall, not better enough than Bulleitt to justify the few bucks more.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For $20 Elijah Craig is much better than Bulliet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics