• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leica X1

videocrew

Reaction score
I'd rather have a GF1, great lens comes with it, but you can swap it out for something else if you need it too.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My dad is getting one.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The specs look brilliant, the pocket digital everyone has been waiting for, but $2k? I'll wait to see how M8 prices fare after the M9 is in full release - if they drop to the $2500-3k range, I'll be interested.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
The specs look brilliant, the pocket digital everyone has been waiting for, but $2k? I'll wait to see how M8 prices fare after the M9 is in full release - if they drop to the $2500-3k range, I'll be interested.

M8's are 2k on eBay

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I thought the X1 was really impressive. I wonder who did the electronics design for them since it seems like this is a 100% new design. It was what the Sigma DP1 and the Ricoh GR III really should have been, so it's an exciting little device. I'm guessing the sensor is a Samsung? 1.5 crop and Live View (since it behaves like a P&S if necessary).

I've noticed there's quite a bit of misunderstanding with the spec, it's not a true 24mm FOV, it's a 24mm lens mounted on a 1.5x sensor, so it has an FOV of 35mm.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
I thought the X1 was really impressive. I wonder who did the electronics design for them since it seems like this is a 100% new design. It was what the Sigma DP1 and the Ricoh GR III really should have been, so it's an exciting little device. I'm guessing the sensor is a Samsung? 1.5 crop and Live View (since it behaves like a P&S if necessary).

I've noticed there's quite a bit of misunderstanding with the spec, it's not a true 24mm FOV, it's a 24mm lens mounted on a 1.5x sensor, so it has an FOV of 35mm.

What's the crop on the GF1's 20mm pancake, or for that matter, the pancake on the EP-1? Is it 1.5x too?

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23
What's the crop on the GF1's 20mm pancake, or for that matter, the pancake on the EP-1? Is it 1.5x too?

Crop is 2x

Your FOV on the X1 should be identical to the E-P1's 17mm (=34mm)

The 20mm will be quite tight (=40mm), some people like that some people don't. I personally prefer FOV's 24-35.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I hate Leica.

Is there a reason? I would think it's opulence and price tag would make you swoon, are you more of an Alpa guy?

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
Crop is 2x

Your FOV on the X1 should be identical to the E-P1's 17mm (=34mm)

The 20mm will be quite tight (=40mm), some people like that some people don't. I personally prefer FOV's 24-35.

I want to start shooting only with one lens, a wide angle. I've used the zoom on my G9 exactly twice in two years.

I'm thinking the pancake for the Lumix GH1, while fast, isn't wide enough. I need to pay with EP-1 and the GH1, stat.

I am sold on the X1, site unseen.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Panasonic has a 14mm(=28mm equiv) 2.8 pancake on the roadmap, I forget for when. You may want that lens instead of the 20mm or the 17mm.

The GH1 is cool and the EVF on that is very nice.

I too, pine for the X1. It's pricey at 2k but not absurdly so. (I can't believe I'm saying this).

A good, mid-range DSLR body, say a Pentax K7 or Canon 50D will set you back around 1k, just over 1k. If the 24mm is truly a Leica standard lens, it should be on par with Pentax limited lenses or Canon L lenses at about 500 to 1k. Obviously you lose certain features with the X1, proper viewfinder for one, but for such a small package and really, a very niche product, it's a pretty reasonable price.

The M8 and M9 however make baby Jesus cry.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I sold all my other cameras and lenses, I could pay cash for an M9. Unfortunately, the photography that brings in (minimal) income (architectural) for me requires the D700.

I'd like to amend my "win the lottery" post - it would be me, a Macbook Pro, a high-end Land Rover or similar and M9.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads