• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best shaving soap?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use Musgo Real's after-shave lotion. It's great

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is the scent the same as the shaving cream? I want to try one of their colognes, but only if it smells like the cream.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Is the scent the same as the shaving cream? I want to try one of their colognes, but only if it smells like the cream.

I think so - they don't have any special scented products at the store where I buy this and the SMN stuff

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theincumbent
Mama Bears Soaps are excellent. Great price and quantity.

+1

Brian SD

Reaction score
What is the effective difference between the two? I've been using Evelynn & Crabtree cream that I like teh smell of, but I'm not attached to it and I'd like to move to something better as I still have not been able to achieve perfectly smooth skin (or even a neck without visible hair).

I've got a bad combination - particularly fair/sensitive skin, and tough hair. The Crabtree stuff is the first stuff I've used since I picked up a brush (bought the E&C best brush and decided to get some cream along with it), so if one of you guys has experience with their stuff and a rec for my direction I'd appreciate it. I can't exactly walk out of the house and sample everything there is, being in Japan and all.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
What is the effective difference between the two? I've been using Evelynn & Crabtree cream that I like teh smell of, but I'm not attached to it and I'd like to move to something better as I still have not been able to achieve perfectly smooth skin (or even a neck without visible hair).

I've got a bad combination - particularly fair/sensitive skin, and tough hair. The Crabtree stuff is the first stuff I've used since I picked up a brush (bought the E&C best brush and decided to get some cream along with it), so if one of you guys has experience with their stuff and a rec for my direction I'd appreciate it. I can't exactly walk out of the house and sample everything there is, being in Japan and all.

C&E cream is really good. No offense, but sounds like a problem with shaving technique if you are in fact using a DE. Try stretching the skin on your neck to get those stubborn hairs, and user negative pressure on the razor when shaving your neck (normally you let the weight of the DE shave you, but on the neck that could be too much, so lift up every so slightly while shaving).

The neck is by far the hardest part to shave. Took me a good long while to perfect it, and I was having the same problems at first.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The MamaBear soaps look promising because of the glycerin content, amongst other ingredients. I suffer from low/mild facial redness so i have to be picky about anything i use. I've never used a facial soap before, but I've had great expereince with the Baxter of California shaving cream.

BTW, Thank you OP for starting this thread.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I think I'd try more time with a hot damp towel to soften the beard, and less time leaving the soap on your face. Either Tabac or Provence Sante should be easy enough on your skin, or you might try Proraso Sensitive Skin (Green Tea & Aloe, white container). It's marked a soap but it's really more of a hard cream.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Or, use a single drop of olive oil on your neck between passes. That should give enough of a buffer to allow him to shave the neck a bit more aggressively to get those errant hairs, while protecting himself enough to not get razor burn.

I had that problem before, but it was a change in technique that fixed it for me though.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trader Joe's Mango shaving vegetable cream.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Interesting. I'm using a Mach 3 Turbo, by the way, not a DE. Is it really gonna make that much of a difference?

And when youre talking about between passes, do you mean against the grain? Do you go against the grain at all?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting. I'm using a Mach 3 Turbo, by the way, not a DE. Is it really gonna make that much of a difference?

And when youre talking about between passes, do you mean against the grain? Do you go against the grain at all?

Ohh, well if you are using a M3, then nevermind about the neg pressure then.

Yeah, that's what I mean by between passes. I do 2 passes. One with the grain, one against the grain.

Still worth giving the olive oil a shot though, if anything, it will make your face feel awesome afterward.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I have gone against the grain a few times (as a 2nd or 3rd pass) but I always cut myself doing that.

Nice to know its not the equipment necessarily, then. I guess I just need to keep experimenting with technique. As for preparation, I've done the hot towel thing plenty. I'm gonna try the light lather + hot towel, + new lather technique next. I usually go a few days between shaves because my face is so tender the next day that if I shave again I end up really tearing myself up.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Generally speaking, a DE with good blades will tend to be sharper, cutting your beard cleanly and pulling less. You may be one of those types who burns through a blade in two or three shaves, but with DE blades it's not expensive.

Some go against the grain, but I don't. I shave one pass north->south, and then a second pass mouth->ears. Maybe some touchup around the chin, and that's it.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have gone against the grain a few times (as a 2nd or 3rd pass) but I always cut myself doing that.

Nice to know its not the equipment necessarily, then. I guess I just need to keep experimenting with technique. As for preparation, I've done the hot towel thing plenty. I'm gonna try the light lather + hot towel, + new lather technique next. I usually go a few days between shaves because my face is so tender the next day that if I shave again I end up really tearing myself up.

I could never go against the grain when I used a M3. I would razor burn myself to hell. Sorry, I assumed you were using a DE.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads