• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StarterStyle
Apologies if this has been asked before, but are the upsells on prescription lenses worth it?

There's just a plastic lens, then there's anti glare coatings and anti scratch coatings.

My dad thinks that they just use one kind of plastic that already happens to be scratch and glare resistant, and get some people to drop an extra couple hundred bucks on it when they can.

So is this true? Are some plastics better than others?

Check my blog for more info but....

1. All lenses are different materials. Most are variations of plastic, polycarbonate and mixtures of both.

2. Some materials are harder than others but they do not come with an anti-scratch material/coating. It is usually cured in different manners to make it more scratch resistant.

3. Anti reflection coating is DEFINITELY added onto it. It doesn't come with it all. Although there are lenses that come with the coating from the factory (which are the best because of the process they use)

4. Do places rip you off by making you pay more "options"? Of course!!! I have a post in my blog around large chains vs smaller shops. Check it out. The larger chains are all rip offs IMO. Go to the small guy, he will do so much more to keep you as a customer including using better quality frames and lenses. Larger chains are just trying to trick customers into promotions and stuff IMO.

Im not going to tell you where and how to shop, but look around and do some research. Educated customers make sound decisions.

mfais

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
Tons, you have to be more specific than that. Show me a pic and I should be able to help you out.

this is what i wear now:

p9110867.jpg

mostly for business, but i want something else to wear when im wearing just jeans and tee. im happy with how it fits and something like that but full rimmed in jet black or gunmetal. my budget is 350 MAX.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mfais
this is what i wear now:
p9110867.jpg
mostly for business, but i want something else to wear when im wearing just jeans and tee. im happy with how it fits and something like that but full rimmed in jet black or gunmetal. my budget is 350 MAX.

If you are looking for something in simlar design, I would say try look into TOKI (~$400-500), O&X (~$250-300) and Kio Yamato (~$300-450). They have intricate designs, good quality and fashionable frames. I only suggest these because I see your temples are not regular straight back but have a slight curve in them. Usually, once people wear glasses with designs on them they find "regular" glasses boring. Also, I can tell you changed your right lens recently. Next time you are in the shop, ask if they have an ultrasonic cleaner so that you can clean your current frame/lenses.

the_pole

Reaction score
can anyone suggest any OP's or Viktor & Rolf's that would fit a slighty rounder face

Ryan112390

Reaction score
Hey, Can someone tell me A) What style, name or kind of eyeglasses these are? These pictures are from around 1995 and 1996 and the glasses were produced around then. What shape are they exactly? B) What brand names would've sold glasses like these? Any brans that currently sell them? C) Where could I find glasses in this shape and style and general dimensions (as in, glasses which begin just under the eyebrows and end to just above the nostrils?)
eyeglasses5.jpg
eyeglasses4.jpg
eyeglasses2.jpg
probablyearly19967.jpg
The first few pix are of the same pair of glasses, which were aqcuired in 1995. The last is of a slightly different but similar pair.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ryan112390
The first few pix are of the same pair of glasses, which were aqcuired in 1995. The last is of a slightly different but similar pair.

I think you are looking for these guys here...
IMGP0891.jpg

IMGP0893.jpg

(please excuse the poor pictures, my camera was about to die)

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, CityConnection, how did I do? Give it to me straight!
smile.gif
Seriously, if these don't work out, I think I'll forever stick with wire-rimmed or rimless frames. I tried a more square frame (Oliver Peoples Larrabee) and they looked huge on my face. These are Oliver Peoples Emerson.
3923763820_b71f9fc3ce_b.jpg

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
Alright, CityConnection, how did I do? Give it to me straight!
smile.gif
Seriously, if these don't work out, I think I'll forever stick with wire-rimmed or rimless frames. I tried a more square frame (Oliver Peoples Larrabee) and they looked huge on my face. These are Oliver Peoples Emerson.

First off, why are you taking pictures in a washroom??? hahaha...jk

IMO, I really like those on you. They are trendy, stylish, and the color is also quite neutral on your skin tone. It also matches your image quite well. IMO, I think you did well with those.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I really can't go with a darker frame because they stand out too much, and I thought the rounded bottom 'reflected' the round shape of my shaved head, creating a little balance
laugh.gif
I'll give them a couple more days of trying on...

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i like them alot for what its worth

Ryan112390

Reaction score
I think you are looking for these guys here...
IMGP0891.jpg

IMGP0893.jpg

(please excuse the poor pictures, my camera was about to die)

Ok--So the brand is Kimo, what's the model? Where can I buy them?

They look a bit different shaped from those in the pics
Are there any other brands that had similar glasses?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok--So the brand is Kimo, what's the model? Where can I buy them?

They look a bit different shaped from those in the pics
Are there any other brands that had similar glasses?

It is a house brand of mine. We had them produced in the late 80s to early 90s. I have boxes of them.

In terms of that shape, there are tons because thats what was fashionable in the early 90s.

Ryan112390

Reaction score
It is a house brand of mine. We had them produced in the late 80s to early 90s. I have boxes of them. In terms of that shape, there are tons because thats what was fashionable in the early 90s.
Do you think you could help me some other ones like that? When I try searching on ebay, under round glasses, I either get antiques (like Harry Truman 1940s style glasses) or Harry Potter glasses--I'm looking for something larger than both--The shape and general dimensions of those glasses--they would come from just under the eyebrow to just above the nostrils and in width would extend about 3-4'' away from the eyes. Something like the ones in the pix, or something like Jerry Garcia wore--The 90s round frames are my favorite style of frames but are very hard to find, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
garciajerrybio.jpg
080905-Jerry-Garcia.jpg
080905-Jerry-Garcia.jpg
If it could help, I'll provide some pictures of the same glasses from other angles.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you think you could help me some other ones like that?
When I try searching on ebay, under round glasses, I either get antiques (like Harry Truman 1940s style glasses) or Harry Potter glasses--I'm looking for something larger than both--The shape and general dimensions of those glasses--they would come from just under the eyebrow to just above the nostrils and in width would extend about 3-4'' away from the eyes.
Something like the ones in the pix, or something like Jerry Garcia wore--The 90s round frames are my favorite style of frames but are very hard to find, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

If it could help, I'll provide some pictures of the same glasses from other angles.

Try looking into Giorgio Armani, CK and other brands like that. They all made that shape in the early 90s. You might not find as many on Ebay and such because they are not all that popular yet. Also, most of the people who like that style are still wearing them.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads