• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
so I decided on a few options

alec4.jpg

carter-rx2.jpg

med_hesh_tort_clr_side_4214.jpg

now I know these all look a lot alike but this is the style I think I'm gunna go for.

whats your opinion on turtle shell. Is black more modern and youthful?

lastly. I went to my local optometrist and all they had was awful banana republic and armani exchange glasses. I guess I will be driving to check out these salt frames.

I like all 3 of the ones you posted here. The last one is a bit more "fun". The first 2 are a bit more conservative while still being different from the regular black plastics. Your optometrist wont carry brands like Salt or Moscot because they wouldnt be able to turn over the stock. It is much easier for them to work with bigger companies that will provide returns and so on. Also, with large names like AX and BR, it will appeal to more people and a more general audience. In any case, I would say to go try on the 3 and go for it!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zazaza
thanks again for the suggestions, this is so very helpful when trying to navigate all there is out there.
one final question (for now):
any opinion on Modo frames?
thank you!

Modo: relatively good construction and classic styles. They are not super innovators, but they dont copy other lines. They stick to what they know best: good quality and classic styles.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
whats your opinion on buying the frames online and bringing them into my optometrist to have the lenses put in?

Or i could have the website do it that im purchasing from but im wondering if that is a gamble.

Or, should i just purchase them from a retail store and have them do it there?

lastly whats your opinion of persol?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the SALT frames look very nice. Stylish and classic.

I just got these Martin+Martin frames. I got tired of the metal look over the last few years. I wear a buzz cut and have a fair complexion so metal and darker frames make a little too much of a statement. I think "clear" or crystal is an excellent alternative to guys who want glasses but don't want the "I'm wearing dark frames" look. At the same time, crystal frames are a bit alternative a la Andy Warhol or Italian fashionista.

glasses.jpg

ANDYWARHOL31.jpg

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tigerFormula
What alternative do I have to a Shuron Ronsir? I'm looking for a pair of classic browlines.

There is a few threads on that sort of browlines. I am only familiar with those ones and the clubmasters. You may be able to find inexpensive vintages that look like that too. Sorry I am not as familiar with that style.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
There is a few threads on that sort of browlines. I am only familiar with those ones and the clubmasters. You may be able to find inexpensive vintages that look like that too. Sorry I am not as familiar with that style.

mascot makes a browline... it is expensive however. I think 200 for just the frame

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by enigma7
Hi.

I was wondering if you could give me advice based on how a pair of oliver peoples fit me, specifically the Advocates. They measure E51, B20 & T143 and feel a bit snug on the sides. I have a roundish face with close set eyes (PD 64). I've been searching for some time for a pair half-rimmed similar to that aesthetic without luck thus far. I am also interested in styles similar to those offered by Shuron.

Thanks in advance.

Salt, Prodesign, and also Hugo Boss but something similar but a bit thicker. In terms of size, I think you should roughly the size you are looking for, but keep in mind, glasses are like cars...200hp doenst mean 200hp, it mean ~197hp. Same thing with eyewear, sometimes its not exactly dead on, so if you can try them on, try them on and see for yourself. But it definitely a good starting point.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bob_gnarly
im 22 and wear tortise shell frames when i have to wear my glasses and i look great
blush.gif
. joking aside I would go for it, from what I notice tortise shell frames are somewhat rare among the college group.

I think it is fair to say that, most people like black plastic frames OR colorful ones. But personally I think that tortoise is a great solution to wanting something with a bit more color, without going overboard.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mfais
best online place to buy glasses like salt, ogreen, paul frank and orgreen?

I do not know of any good online retrailers. I DO NOT buy my eyewear online because I have sources for most frames. If you are looking for Salt or Paul Frank I may be able to help you out, but not Orgreen.

I can't recommend/suggest any because I have never dealt with any before. Maybe someone else can give you some feedback. Anyone???

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection

I can't recommend/suggest any because I have never dealt with any before. Maybe someone else can give you some feedback. Anyone???

FWIW, I ordered my Persols from here yesterday: http://www.otticanet.com/ as no other distributor in the US had them. Will let you know more when they arrive!
smile.gif

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
whats your opinion on buying the frames online and bringing them into my optometrist to have the lenses put in?

Or i could have the website do it that im purchasing from but im wondering if that is a gamble.

Or, should i just purchase them from a retail store and have them do it there?

lastly whats your opinion of persol?

I have a post on blog about buying online vs. buying in stores...but in short....

1. if you are buying online there is no point in taking it to your optometrist because they will source it out anyways. You might as well as go to an optical, maybe they will cut the lenses on site which will reduce costs. Also, most optometrist will just try to sell you the most expensive lenses because in theory they are better, also, more expensive. Making frames are not their main source of income, eye exams are, so they dont need to be competitive in terms of price.

2. if you purchase in a retail store and get the lenses done there, sometimes stores will have promotions and such which could work in your benefit.

3. getting it done by sites online can be hit or miss. It is easier for someone online to disappear than a store to close shop. Long story short, it is up to you. Also someone with a reputation has to withhold it, whereas if it is online, you dont know what kind they have.

In any case, if you need any more help, let me know. I can help you source frames and lenses too.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I think the SALT frames look very nice. Stylish and classic.

I just got these Martin+Martin frames. I got tired of the metal look over the last few years. I wear a buzz cut and have a fair complexion so metal and darker frames make a little too much of a statement. I think "clear" or crystal is an excellent alternative to guys who want glasses but don't want the "I'm wearing dark frames" look. At the same time, crystal frames are a bit alternative a la Andy Warhol or Italian fashionista.

glasses.jpg

ANDYWARHOL31.jpg

Crystal frames work for some people but not on others. Martin&Martin are good quality though, good stuff!

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i believe i sent you a pm CC

StarterStyle

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been asked before, but are the upsells on prescription lenses worth it?

There's just a plastic lens, then there's anti glare coatings and anti scratch coatings.

My dad thinks that they just use one kind of plastic that already happens to be scratch and glare resistant, and get some people to drop an extra couple hundred bucks on it when they can.

So is this true? Are some plastics better than others?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads