• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ya, why the f@ck is there no European representation in this mod malarky?

I suggest a reverse Boston Tea Party type thingy to provide us with some representation.

K

EnglishGent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450

I suggest a reverse Boston Tea Party type thingy to provide us with some representation.

K

Something like no spammination without representation.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EnglishGent
Something like no spammination without representation.

Yea, or we'll throw their 7 fold ties and raw denim in the Thames.

K

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Quick question, if I hit the red triangle, I assume it just reports that post. How do I just report a whole user who's a spammer?
I usually just write a message in the post report box...

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450

K

I always assumed being made a mod was some form of cruel punishment...

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Item 1) This may be the height of impracticality and idiocy on my part (and I realize I set a high bar here) but I think it would be nice to be able to set my view to only see threads that are started by, say, a senior member (i.e. - someone with over 100 posts). That way I could avoid the spam AND some of the newb threads. Not that I advocate that newbs shouldn't start threads, but I just am not up to reading them these days. Anyway, like I mentioned, impractical.

but, read on...

Point b) anti-spammer measures. I think the current MSFT Exchange bolt-on spam filter will automatically tag mail as spam if four users (worldwide, as I'm told) mark it as spam. Four users. If there was the means to ban or spaminate or suspend a poster based on four reports, that would certainly be nice and take a load off the mods, although Artisan Fan might have a hell of a time getting continually banned and un-banned...not that he's never been through that before.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^

Just set the condition as four reports and under 100 posts. Not sure how hard that would be to script or not.

dirknibleck

Reaction score
You could opt for a minimum number of notifications (ie 4) to set the message as inappropriate and non-viewable. If the message is not deleted, the OP could have an option to appeal which could the message viewable again, but leave it flagged for moderation.

You would, of course, likely need 2 or 3 additional columns in your DB and a new query to determine what posts to display, along with all of the programming related to the process :)

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If someone wants to program that I'm all ears. Unfortunately I don't know how. Also, though it stalled, I'm still "in the middle" of upgrading the forum to the newest version, and I'm not sure how the spam control functions will work in the new version. Once that upgrade is complete we can look at scripting custom stuff to deal with it. I've always wanted a post/thread threshold system where posts below a certain rating would be invisible by default, and a system like that would lend itself pretty well to anti spam usage.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
If someone wants to program that I'm all ears. Unfortunately I don't know how. Also, though it stalled, I'm still "in the middle" of upgrading the forum to the newest version, and I'm not sure how the spam control functions will work in the new version. Once that upgrade is complete we can look at scripting custom stuff to deal with it. I've always wanted a post/thread threshold system where posts below a certain rating would be invisible by default, and a system like that would lend itself pretty well to anti spam usage.

That would really, really hurt DT.

The alternative is to just limit posters to one post in CE per day.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
That would really, really hurt DT.

The alternative is to just limit posters to one post in CE per day.

The main point would be to cut down on useless/snarky posts in MC and SW&D where we ostensibly are still trying to help people get answers to legitimate clothing questions, which was the point of the forum in the first place. It drives me nuts when I see people post a question and the first 5 responses are stupid inside jokes between the same clowns that no one new is going to understand. I had hoped a system could be developed to somewhat discourage that.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
The main point would be to cut down on useless/snarky posts in MC and SW&D where we ostensibly are still trying to help people get answers to legitimate clothing questions, which was the point of the forum in the first place. It drives me nuts when I see people post a question and the first 5 responses are stupid inside jokes between the same clowns that no one new is going to understand. I had hoped a system could be developed to somewhat discourage that.

I understand. Since it is usually the same group who do that, maybe they could just be warned.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Its ******* awful these days. Especially in MC. Pretty much turned me off from asking questions in either forum.
I understand. Since it is usually the same group who do that, maybe they could just be warned.
+1

Night Owl

Reaction score

Just limit voxsantorum to 1 post/day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics