• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing 9111 after using "Silicone Waterproofing"

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is just another example of silicone ruining something that was perfectly fine to begin with.
vb_boob_job.jpg

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
This thread is just another example of silicone ruining something that was perfectly fine to begin with.
vb_boob_job.jpg

Now that is a great visual analogy.

easy_hk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by axe
Keep wearing them, the silicone will wear off soon enough.

TBH, it doesn't look all that different from the original.

yes, compare my pic (before and after) , found that just diff style instead of diff color
blush.gif

easy_hk

Reaction score
anyone knows the reason to cause that ? apply to much silicone ? or the way of application ?s

axlpendergast

Reaction score
why does it look like that? very simple. the silicone stuff you sprayed on there is primarily used for suede leather. the leather on your Redwings was oil-tanned (chrome tanned + oil treatment/finish) and the primary way of water proofing oil-tanned leather is with an oil based product.

the streaks are there because the silicone isn't getting absorbed.

easy_hk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by axlpendergast
why does it look like that? very simple. the silicone stuff you sprayed on there is primarily used for suede leather. the leather on your Redwings was oil-tanned (chrome tanned + oil treatment/finish) and the primary way of water proofing oil-tanned leather is with an oil based product.

the streaks are there because the silicone isn't getting absorbed.

according to the instuction come with the boot, silicone stuff can use for oil-tanned leather. and if u tried oli based (like mink oil) on the 9111 u will know how bad is the look (very dark color and very oil...)

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I think you maywant to read that again. That says to use silicone based products on dry tanned, not oil tanned.

easy_hk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
^I think you maywant to read that again. That says to use silicone based products on dry tanned, not oil tanned.

rw9111 is oil-tanned or dry-tanned ?

Curious_George

Reaction score
Pretty sure it's oil (I have the 1907s, same leather, I use oil based products and they work fine).

easy_hk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Curious_George
Pretty sure it's oil (I have the 1907s, same leather, I use oil based products and they work fine).

which red wing is dry-tanned ?

axlpendergast

Reaction score
split leather, or suede, are dry-tanned...i don't know what Red Wing have that's in suede. anyway back to your boots... - they definitely aren't suede - i'm 99.9% sure they are oil-tanned, the only other possibility would be vegetable-tanned but it's highly unlikely, those types of leather aren't really suited for making shoes much less boots. - real leather will darken with time and use. this is more noticeable on natural or light colored leather. to the best of my knowledge most leather conditioners/oils/waterproofing products will also cause light colored leather to do the same. if you don't want your boots to get dark then i don't know know what to tell ya. so back to what i said before: the primary products used in waterproofing (or maintaining) leather are oil based. i'm sorry dude. no matter how you want to argue you still used the wrong product. been there before. lucky for you, since the leather isn't absorbing the silicone that means if you wear it a lot eventually it'll come off. if you want it off in a jiffy then buy some saddle soap and get scrubbing. in the future you should probably choose something from this list - mink oil - pecard's boot oil/dressing - obenauf's - lexol i personally like lexol.
Originally Posted by easy_hk
which red wing is dry-tanned ?

easy_hk

Reaction score
bcoz mink oil for oil-tanned, but i saw my friends use mink oil for rw9111, to color became very very dark, actually looks very bad .... (of course mine also bad), thats why i tried silicone

solbro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by easy_hk
Red Wing 9111, 48hrs after using "Silicone Waterproofing" became like this :

GetAttachmentaspx.jpg

The original should like this:

RW9111_3.jpg

anyone can help, how to get back to the original color/looking ?

OK, They're boots. If your'e hiking or working, who cares, and if not, why are you wearing boots?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics