• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

itsjustadrian

Reaction score
I'm 20 years old, a student in college, and normally wear an oxford button-up and jeans day-to-day. Would tortoiseshell eyeglasses look ridiculous on me for a guy my age? Or should I just stick with plain black frames? I'm thinking of Salt's Oslos btw.

ennui

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
I really like those frames. They are thin metal and light. However, if you are looking for something similar without any labels, I know there is a Boss frame similar but heavier and also the temples are plastic with a small plaque that says Hugo Boss. If you are looking for something without labels try looking at Salt or O&X. I am sure that there are tons of other brands, but I dont know them.

Thanks for the recommendations on brands, I appreciate it.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by itsjustadrian
I'm 20 years old, a student in college, and normally wear an oxford button-up and jeans day-to-day. Would tortoiseshell eyeglasses look ridiculous on me for a guy my age? Or should I just stick with plain black frames? I'm thinking of Salt's Oslos btw.

Sorry, I thought I already responded to your question but I guess I havent.

IMO, black is a good color, it looks very bold. Tortoise is a bit more casual, and the Oslos come in a really nice tortoise. It is really nice how it is horizontal. Looks more unique.

As I always say, be unique, be fun and try something different. But I think the Oslos are a great frame in terms of comfort and style, it is the vintage look without being "omg, what is that guy wearing", its more of a "that looks alright". I say jump on a pair of tortoise. Look around for a good price on them.

fing02[1].gif

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can you tell me anything about frames made by Legre? they seem to be good quality and have styles similar to those made by Salt at about half the price.
any info is welcome.
thank you

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zazaza
can you tell me anything about frames made by Legre? they seem to be good quality and have styles similar to those made by Salt at about half the price.
any info is welcome.
thank you

I think I have covered this company already but I may be wrong. In any case, here is what I think...

IMO, I wouldnt pay more than $150 in a store. If online, no more than $70 or so. I dont have any long term experience with them but I can judge them based on their frames and I can tell the general quality. I would say that they are fair quality (not good or great), the finish is not great but decent if you dont abuse them, and the styles are "copies". What I mean by copies is that they follow trends and they are not innovators. They will get inspirations by hot trends and follow them. Another difference between them and say Salt (because you mentioned it), Salt has something to prove so they will have stricter quality control and also they have a retailer approach to their wholesale. Legre is more of a wholesaler approach to business: make lots and sell lots, if there are defects, who cares, just send them another one.

Hope this helps!

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thank you so much for the info. hearing that makes me want to support designers like salt and makes me view Legre the same way i view any company that just copies things. (not favorably)

do you have any recommendations as to where i can find a frame similar to whats seen here? (worn by Jermaine from Flight of the Condords)
Jemaine_1.jpg

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zazaza
thank you so much for the info. hearing that makes me want to support designers like salt and makes me view Legre the same way i view any company that just copies things. (not favorably)

do you have any recommendations as to where i can find a frame similar to whats seen here? (worn by Jermaine from Flight of the Condords)

Dont get me wrong, people in big companies work hard, but I just like supporting the underdog. If you are looking for something like that there ar a couple that come to mind. I dont know model numbers but I have seen them before: Boss, Salt, Polo and Prada (but slightly lager). What is attracting you to those glasses is that they have a high bridge and the lenses dip down lower. That is the distinctive feature on those frames.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so I decided on a few options

alec4.jpg

carter-rx2.jpg

med_hesh_tort_clr_side_4214.jpg

now I know these all look a lot alike but this is the style I think I'm gunna go for.

whats your opinion on turtle shell. Is black more modern and youthful?

lastly. I went to my local optometrist and all they had was awful banana republic and armani exchange glasses. I guess I will be driving to check out these salt frames.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
Dont get me wrong, people in big companies work hard, but I just like supporting the underdog. If you are looking for something like that there ar a couple that come to mind. I dont know model numbers but I have seen them before: Boss, Salt, Polo and Prada (but slightly lager). What is attracting you to those glasses is that they have a high bridge and the lenses dip down lower. That is the distinctive feature on those frames.

thanks again for the suggestions, this is so very helpful when trying to navigate all there is out there.
one final question (for now):
any opinion on Modo frames?
thank you!

enigma7

Reaction score
Hi.

I was wondering if you could give me advice based on how a pair of oliver peoples fit me, specifically the Advocates. They measure E51, B20 & T143 and feel a bit snug on the sides. I have a roundish face with close set eyes (PD 64). I've been searching for some time for a pair half-rimmed similar to that aesthetic without luck thus far. I am also interested in styles similar to those offered by Shuron.

Thanks in advance.

bob_gnarly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by itsjustadrian

im 22 and wear tortise shell frames when i have to wear my glasses and i look great
blush.gif
. joking aside I would go for it, from what I notice tortise shell frames are somewhat rare among the college group.

jaac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
alec4.jpg

carter-rx2.jpg

med_hesh_tort_clr_side_4214.jpg

I like the middle ones the best, the colour is the best of the three and it still looks "tortise-shellish" without totally standing out. The third ones the temples are to thick imo. The top ones are also pretty nice but are abit more square, depends what your going for.

Just bought some Shuron Sidewinders and Freeways from http://optometristattic.com/index.htm
seem's legit enough, hopefully they show up.

thizzface

Reaction score
@phoenixrecon

the middle ones look the best, tho i would it depends on you skin tone. i have a med/tan asian skin tone. i ordinarily wouldn't choose light color frames (like the 3rd one) but surprisingly those look better on my skin tone than something dark like the first one.

mfais

Reaction score
best online place to buy glasses like salt, ogreen, paul frank and orgreen?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads