• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yo superbobo, that is pretty much AAAC bro.

I would be way more into surplus if I lived in the states.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
Personally, I fail to see the appeal of most "designer" threads. Some pics from the cat walk, 5 people say "wow, looks great but too expensive", while some others **** talk. Whats there to discuss? We need more surplus threads, more "philosophical" threads and more trad threads. And somewhere to discuss cotton duck pants.

Philosophical threads I can get down with. We do not need more trad threads. Isn't your girlfirend into designer stuff?

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think there are some good uses for designer threads, they just never really end up that way.

For example, what people see on the runway is a small subset of what is out there for the season, and what people see in their local boutiques is also a small subset. It'd be nice to know what's out there and who has it. You'd be surprised how much you didn't know existed if you rely only on stores like Barneys or oki-ni.

That said, I think it'll be difficult to have really good designer threads because the clothes themselves are so rare. There is no reason for me to share something I like if I know that the store only buys 1 per size.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
Isn't the J.Crew thread the same thing? Or does the ubiquity of J.Crew prolong the discussion?

This. The jcrew, BoO, apc, wwm, eg threads are all the same thing. Lower price point, a fair amount of brick and mortar and online retailers in the US, plus affiliates with boutiques who carry the brand who can post a ton of updates every shipment. Also, as Bobo has shown us, you can find identical EG pieces through milsurp and ebay, jcrew has a low price point and they're err'where, and the rest of the "big name sf" brands are easy to obtain, and can be mimicked a bit more easily. Hard to mimic jil and dries when a big draw is the materials, the drape, and the small details in fit, proportions and silhouette.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^yeah I thought J.Crew was the same thing. I wander into that thread and there's 4-5 dudes talking about different items--like joining a conversation mid-topic.

TheDroog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oxnard
I am jealous of women's fashion, as it seems that women's fashion is constantly expanding and evolving, with new silhouettes and all kinds of crazy ****. With men's fashion, you can only reinvent pants, shoes, shirts, knits, and jackets so many times. Sure you can throw in some new materials, interesting cuts, even some drapey black ****, but its just kind of all the same. I dunno, its difficult to make menswear fresh season after season, and even the best runway shows are rarely translated into actual outfits that people wear everday. There is just so much boring **** out there, I imagine these thoughts befall everyone here at some point; it just all seems so boring sometimes.

I totally agree with this. Men's fashion bores me to tears sometimes. All you ever see is variations on suits, military-inspired stuff, and sneakers. After a while, who gives a ****? Girls have an infinite variety of things to choose from. Look at women's shoes alone. High heels. Medium heels. Low heels. Ballet flats. Mary Janes. Clogs. Fashion sneakers. Flip flops. Low boots. High boots. It keeps going. There are a thousand kinds of dresses out there. There are a thousand types of handbags. I suppose it can get annoying because there are many decisions to make, but at least women have choice. Plus there is the social freedom to pull it all off.

I think this is why I am attracted to the weirder designers that are out there. At least they're doing something different. Conformity to the basics is the name of the game in menswear, and it blows.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you should wear a cod piece and white overalls.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
NSFW
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
Philosophical threads I can get down with. We do not need more trad threads. Isn't your girlfirend into designer stuff?

Yea I guess, she´s a student at one of the more prestigious design schools in sweden, so it comes with the territory. So, alot of acne and stuff like that, but shes really into thrift/vintage aswell, which is a common interest. And you know, with the americana/work trend, Im as fashionable as it gets
wink.gif

brimley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
im just saying that is why those threads don't stay alive, it is the 5 fan boys having a quick discussion, then what else is there to discuss

The EG thread is the best example here. Timbo and Robin bust their asses with stockists, they troll the japanese websites for obscure pieces, everything. Not only have they made it easy for newbies and oldtimers alike to get into EG, but they have directly influenced stockists and stock lists, and they moved into WWM/ts(s) and whatever else. You don't think the affiliates appreciate the work they put in?

I think the designer threads are awesome, but they need someone to step up. If you really love Geller or Junya or Our Legacy, start telling people where they can get pieces and get those retailers involved here. Otherwise, it's just going to be a half-assed runway review once or twice a year.

Oxnard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
This. The jcrew, BoO, apc, wwm, eg threads are all the same thing. Lower price point, a fair amount of brick and mortar and online retailers in the US, plus affiliates with boutiques who carry the brand who can post a ton of updates every shipment. Also, as Bobo has shown us, you can find identical EG pieces through milsurp and ebay, jcrew has a low price point and they're err'where, and the rest of the "big name sf" brands are easy to obtain, and can be mimicked a bit more easily. Hard to mimic jil and dries when a big draw is the materials, the drape, and the small details in fit, proportions and silhouette.

I understand what you are saying, but to say that you can find something just like Engineered Garments at J.crew is just not true, I have a fair amount of stuff from both of them and the fabric and finishing that J.crew uses is garbage. Sure you can find cheap workshirts with triangle pockets at Urban Outfitters and J.crew but they are of a different quality material and the cut is proportionately different. The same can be said with the various knits and woolen jackets that EG offers. Overall, the materials, drape/fit, and small details that you identify with those Belgian designers are qualities that can be applied to many of the brands on this forum including EG , W+H, WWM, and so on.
I get that workwear brands aren't your thing, but to say that you can get the exact same thing that EG offers through J.crew or ebay is kind of an insult to the aesthetic and quality that Daiki has labored over to maintain. I just don't get how Jil Sander and Dries Van Noten are somehow leagues above the brands that attempt to make a similar product, while the more "SF approved" brands lack the same differences in materials, fit, and proportions. The only part of this I agree with is with Band of Outsiders, that **** is horribly overpriced and the fit isn't even that flattering, the amount that they try to charge for their outerwear and other products IS outrageous, I mean come on $400 for made in china sperry boots?

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nyf
The EG thread is the best example here. Timbo and Robin bust their asses with stockists, they troll the japanese websites for obscure pieces, everything. Not only have they made it easy for newbies and oldtimers alike to get into EG, but they have directly influenced stockists and stock lists, and they moved into WWM/ts(s) and whatever else. You don't think the affiliates appreciate the work they put in?

I think the designer threads are awesome, but they need someone to step up. If you really love Geller or Junya or Our Legacy, start telling people where they can get pieces and get those retailers involved here. Otherwise, it's just going to be a half-assed runway review once or twice a year.

this

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oxnard
While I agree on J. Crew vs EG, you can find alot of stuff in the same vein on ebay and thrifting if you know what your looking for, and this stuff will definitly not be inferior to EG quality wise. Fit is another (and more subjective) thing...

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oxnard
I understand what you are saying, but to say that you can find something just like Engineered Garments at J.crew is just not true, I have a fair amount of stuff from both of them and the fabric and finishing that J.crew uses is garbage. Sure you can find cheap workshirts with triangle pockets at Urban Outfitters and J.crew but they are of a different quality material and the cut is proportionately different. The same can be said with the various knits and woolen jackets that EG offers. Overall, the materials, drape/fit, and small details that you identify with those Belgian designers are qualities that can be applied to many of the brands on this forum including EG , W+H, WWM, and so on.
I get that workwear brands aren't your thing, but to say that you can get the exact same thing that EG offers through J.crew or ebay is kind of an insult to the aesthetic and quality that Daiki has labored over to maintain. I just don't get how Jil Sander and Dries Van Noten are somehow leagues above the brands that attempt to make a similar product, while the more "SF approved" brands lack the same differences in materials, fit, and proportions. The only part of this I agree with is with Band of Outsiders, that **** is horribly overpriced and the fit isn't even that flattering, the amount that they try to charge for their outerwear and other products IS outrageous, I mean come on $400 for made in china sperry boots?

I think what he is saying is that EG, WWM, etc are the same in the way that Julius is the same as The Viridi-Anne. Sure there are big differences between the two lines, but it's still a very specific genre of clothing. I think he's saying that SF is sort of like SZ in that a lot of the discussion here is on a very a narrow type of clothing, as opposed to a place like sufu which has discussion on brands like WWM, EG, MSFC, etc, but there is also brands like Undercover, MMM, Rick Owens, and even Nikes.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDroog
I totally agree with this. Men's fashion bores me to tears sometimes. All you ever see is variations on suits, military-inspired stuff, and sneakers. After a while, who gives a ****? Girls have an infinite variety of things to choose from. Look at women's shoes alone. High heels. Medium heels. Low heels. Ballet flats. Mary Janes. Clogs. Fashion sneakers. Flip flops. Low boots. High boots. It keeps going. There are a thousand kinds of dresses out there. There are a thousand types of handbags. I suppose it can get annoying because there are many decisions to make, but at least women have choice. Plus there is the social freedom to pull it all off.

I think this is why I am attracted to the weirder designers that are out there. At least they're doing something different. Conformity to the basics is the name of the game in menswear, and it blows.

if men weren't such pussies about trying new things designers might be able to afford to branch out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads