• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

thought

Reaction score
I am looking for a basic Raw Denim jean, straight cut. Dark Indigo with a button fly, no pocket designs or blatant branding. Recommend me some brands please, I don't have the stomach to search through this forum. I was thinking about Eternal 811s or whatever they are, but I just realized they are one-wash and I would really prefer raw. I already have a pair of APC's that are pretty beat, if I can't find anything similar that I like I think I will just get another pair of those (
biggrin.gif
) and since I know the SF mindset is against APC, hopefully I will get some good tips! Thanks!

connor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thought
I am looking for a basic Raw Denim jean, straight cut. Dark Indigo with a button fly, no pocket designs or blatant branding. Recommend me some brands please, I don't have the stomach to search through this forum. I was thinking about Eternal 811s or whatever they are, but I just realized they are one-wash and I would really prefer raw. I already have a pair of APC's that are pretty beat, if I can't find anything similar that I like I think I will just get another pair of those (
biggrin.gif
) and since I know the SF mindset is against APC, hopefully I will get some good tips! Thanks!

imperial, iron heart

Gutman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Caveat
They are Naked and Famous organic indigos. I think I'm going to size down and maybe even lose some weight first. They're size 32 if anyone wants them. They have a very cool color, different from any other indigo jean I've seen.

Shivers, if these are 32's then you are quite a slim guy and don't have any reason to wear sack-like jeans. Get a nice slim-line jean in your actual size. Unless you've got a big backside you should have plenty of options.

Re the turn-ups: you have too many folds in them, and they look "rolled" as a result. I think turn-ups work best with either loose (1 small turn, hem showing) or skinny jeans (1 or more larger turns). If you mess with turn-ups on slim-ish jeans you risk the "mom-bought-my-jeans-too-big-because-she-says-i'm-growing-so-fast" look IMO, too MOTR and no longer snappy looking.

If you want to keep the jeans you've got, then maybe get them shortened and hemmed, at least enough so that you only have to do a small single turn-up, or none at all. Reducing the stacking would help them sit a lot better i think.

whereismyshoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whereismyshoe
What is the fit of Dior 21cm as compared to, say, rag and bone RB15 or APC NS? I might be buying some 21cm in size 31 from someone on this forum, and love the fit of my stretched out 29 NS but the 32 r&b's are a little too full in the thighs / too big at the bottom.

Anyone?

alexwgoody

Reaction score
Right now I'm thinking that I want to get some STF Ande Whall Cougars. I want something a little less slim after spending the last 6 months with NC's. But anyway, I am having trouble deciding on getting a 33 or 34 waist. 2 inches below my belly button measures 2 1/4 inches, and 3 inches below measures 32 1/2 inches. I am afraid that getting a 33 will end up being too tight when I soak them, and a 34 will be too loose when they stretch back out, which I don't think will take very long. I'm also wondering if It's cool to get STF's and not soak them, and once I need my wash, I could just get in the tub with them. does that make sense to do? Please give me some guidance.

alexwgoody

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whereismyshoe
Anyone?

I'm pretty sure Slimane copied the NS's for the 21cm and the NC's for the 19cm. so, I think that the fit is nearly identical, except that APC's stretch a ton, and from what I've heard, DH's don't.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexwgoody
I'm pretty sure Slimane copied the NS's for the 21cm and the NC's for the 19cm. so, I think that the fit is nearly identical, except that APC's stretch a ton, and from what I've heard, DH's don't.
Correction: They are copies of the original Standard and Cure. While the difference between the original Standard and New Standard is negligible (mainly the rise), the New Cure is quite a bit slimmer than the Cure (and therefore 19cm as well).

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gutman
Shivers, if these are 32's then you are quite a slim guy and don't have any reason to wear sack-like jeans. Get a nice slim-line jean in your actual size. Unless you've got a big backside you should have plenty of options.

Re the turn-ups: you have too many folds in them, and they look "rolled" as a result. I think turn-ups work best with either loose (1 small turn, hem showing) or skinny jeans (1 or more larger turns). If you mess with turn-ups on slim-ish jeans you risk the "mom-bought-my-jeans-too-big-because-she-says-i'm-growing-so-fast" look IMO, too MOTR and no longer snappy looking.

If you want to keep the jeans you've got, then maybe get them shortened and hemmed, at least enough so that you only have to do a small single turn-up, or none at all. Reducing the stacking would help them sit a lot better i think.

This is funny to me because I just this year started wearing a slimmer SF-approved fit instead of mall brand baggy jeans and this pair of N&Fs felt so tight on me that I worried if I could even pull it off. They look so different to me when I post the photos and can see how they look baggy now. Thanks for the advice.

uristocrat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thought
biggrin.gif

i would just stay with apc... I think these are going to become my jeans of choice for now as well... I am open to suggestions from these forum members.. btw.. one of the writers for my site uristocrat.com wrote an article on raw denim... its really simple but provides a brief background on the selvedge denim: http://uristocrat.com/2009/09/29087/ any comments are appreciated.. (sorry if i am posting this in the wrong thread)...

Fortysomething

Reaction score
Originally Posted by uristocrat
i would just stay with apc... I think these are going to become my jeans of choice for now as well... I am open to suggestions from these forum members..

btw.. one of the writers for my site uristocrat.com wrote an article on raw denim... its really simple but provides a brief background on the selvedge denim:
http://uristocrat.com/2009/09/29087/

any comments are appreciated.. (sorry if i am posting this in the wrong thread)...

I didn't think that all raw denim was selvedge. Am I right on that one?

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How tight is a jean supposed to be around your balls? Is felling them push your balls up a little each time you walk too tight? Are you supposed to have a loose compartment down there?

For my 3sixteens's straight, the legs fit fine, but I have a flatter ass so its loose in the rear. I can pull it up to commpensate slightly but theres this problem.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol wut...

if its painful on your genitalia... its to tight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads