• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Almost chose to read that over C&P. I've never read Faulkner.
blush.gif

I read As I Lay Dying. Faulkner can be rather difficult to understand at times. He has an obsession with writing from the perspective of a mental deficient while using a stream of consciousness prose style. It's very hard keeping track of characters and continuity when he writes this way, but it's amazing that he's able to put it all together.

I'm only 20 pages in, but I'll update when I'm done.

PS, what's with all the fiction titles? I thought you were purely a History fanatic.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
PS, what's with all the fiction titles? I thought you were purely a History fanatic.
I read way too much non-fiction this summer. I need a break.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear that. I'm tempted to swing back towards non-fiction, myself.

...Right after I finish the Ramond Chandler collection I checked out of the library.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I read As I Lay Dying. Faulkner can be rather difficult to understand at times. He has an obsession with writing from the perspective of a mental deficient while using a stream of consciousness prose style.

Oh please, dkzzzzzz's posts weren't that hard to understand.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just finished When We Were Orphans by Kazuo Ishiguro. It had it moments.....The Remains of the Day is next.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Started Crime and Punishment last night. This will be a doozy!
Go bigger and better to pass the time in which you're not getting laid.
4934.jpg

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Finished The Inner Circle. Interesting how it ends up. Now full-on into Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
Halfway through Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian. I'm excited to know that there are 20 books to follow in this series. So good.

You might find it worth investing in this. Great if O'Brian's jargon leaves you scratching your head.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoshuaC
About 100 pages into The Sound and the Fury by Faulkner

I just finished the first chapter narrated by Benjy... Does it get better?

JoshuaC

Reaction score
I just finished the first chapter narrated by Benjy... Does it get better?

Yeah it does. I actually gave up around page 30 but decided to give it another go a few days later. I actually ended up reading the sparknotes before I read the rest of chapter one so I would be able to follow what was happening. This helped a lot. The second chapter jumps around a little like the first but it is much easier to follow the narrator (Quentin). This is the first thing I've read by Faulkner and that first chapter had me wondering WTF all the hype was about.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would probably be better to read the first 10 pages of each section of Sound/Fury to get a gauge on what the book is like than the first 30 pages.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think the first 30th page is the breaking point.

I had to read a similar synopsis on wikipedia to get an understanding of what was happening. Afterward it was much easier. It almost makes me want to re-read the beginning. Almost...

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Finished J. Michael Stryszinskis? (sp) Rising Stars series a few days ago. Excellent and something of a foundation for TV series like The 4400 and a few others. Sadly, none of them measured up to the books.

Started on Transmetropolitan last night. These books are ******* hilarious.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Two of my Enrolled Agent study guides arrived at the office today. Yay tax code.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads