• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeff H

Reaction score
I have a question on the leather (Craftsman) vs. rubber (Blaxland) soles discussion.

For those who favor leather soles, is it for cosmetic reasons, or do you find any functional advantages?

I understand that leather is considered a classier, dressier, more traditional look. But beyond that, I'm interested in whether there are functional reasons to prefer a leather sole. (Is it more comfortable? Does it breathe better? Does it really mold better to one's foot? etc.)

Thanks!

Jeff

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amce
Good on you, Wraith. What model, what last, what heel, what colour? Details please.

Cheers

The Yearling, size 5G, block heel, black leather. Pics soon.

wosk

Reaction score
Just won an auction for a comfort craftsman pair at a great price from what seems to be a great seller. Hopefully I'll enjoy them as the rest of you in a week or so.

ferguscan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jeff H
I have a question on the leather (Craftsman) vs. rubber (Blaxland) soles discussion.

For those who favor leather soles, is it for cosmetic reasons, or do you find any functional advantages?

I understand that leather is considered a classier, dressier, more traditional look. But beyond that, I'm interested in whether there are functional reasons to prefer a leather sole. (Is it more comfortable? Does it breathe better? Does it really mold better to one's foot? etc.)

Thanks!

Jeff

I have both the Comfort Craftsman and the regular Craftsman. Points of comparison:

- Composite sole is much, much more durable. Will last for ages.
- Leather sole is more comfortable for me, especially for wearing all day. No idea why.
- Leather sole makes a nice sound when I walk.
- Regular craftsman is much more sleek, and a significantly smaller shoe all round.

I don't have a Blaxland yet, but I will almost certainly get some (instead of the Comfort Craftsman) for my next wet weather shoe purchase. Yearling leather + composite sole isn't completely waterproof or anything, but is pretty awesome for wet weather in Brisbane, Australia.

Bottom line: composite sole + yearling upper for harsh conditions (wet weather, public bars, etc). Leather sole + nicer leather upper for work on dry days, and any other occasions when you want to look your best.

Thanks,

Stuart

Jeff H

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, Stuart!

I'll add that the Comfort Craftsman doesn't work for me. I've tried it, and as others have mentioned, the extra padding inside the boot makes the toebox tighter. I've tried on a regular Craftsman, and it fits my foot better than the Comfort. I assume the Blaxland will fit the same as the regular Craftsman, since it's just the sole changing, and nothing inside the boot.

It's interesting that you find the regular Craftsman more comfortable than the Comfort, Stuart! I wonder if it's a result of more room inside the boot, or the leather sole itself.

If anyone has experience with the feel of a regular Craftsman vs. the Blaxland, please let me know!

Thanks!

Jeff

Jeff H

Reaction score
Or, to state my question more precisely...

I've read all the posts on here about leather soles vs. composite. The touted advantages of the composite sole are functional: it's better in wet weather, and it's more durable. The recommendations on the leather sole are vaguer, but mostly seem to come down to matters of style: it's more traditional, dressier, looks better, etc.

I'm trying to understand whether there is a functional or comfort reason to prefer the leather sole.

For example, a few posts back, Frank (TheWraith) says "In dry conditions, the leather sole is always the number one choice. Always." I'd be interested in elaboration on that!

Apologies for the multiple postings, and thanks again!

Jeff

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, and just for curiosity sake...the Baxter Boots website has undergone a major overhaul. Very snazzy looking now, particularly when compared with how the previous site looked (which was, I have to admit, pretty crappy looking). Very nice indeed
biggrin.gif

http://www.baxterfootwear.com.au/

Sharpe

Reaction score
Or, to state my question more precisely...

I've read all the posts on here about leather soles vs. composite. The touted advantages of the composite sole are functional: it's better in wet weather, and it's more durable. The recommendations on the leather sole are vaguer, but mostly seem to come down to matters of style: it's more traditional, dressier, looks better, etc.

I'm trying to understand whether there is a functional or comfort reason to prefer the leather sole.

For example, a few posts back, Frank (TheWraith) says "In dry conditions, the leather sole is always the number one choice. Always." I'd be interested in elaboration on that!

Apologies for the multiple postings, and thanks again!

Jeff

Personally I feel that leather soles were the only type of sole for so long (as far as I know...?). It was good enough for all those decades+ so why isn't it good now? I've never used a leather sole shoe, but i'm looking forward to getting my first pair of leather soled craftsman boots.

Just gotta decide - do I want to get dark tan or chestnut...chestnut i wouldnt have to wait for...

wosk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sharpe
Personally I feel that leather soles were the only type of sole for so long (as far as I know...?). It was good enough for all those decades+ so why isn't it good now? I've never used a leather sole shoe, but i'm looking forward to getting my first pair of leather soled craftsman boots.

Just gotta decide - do I want to get dark tan or chestnut...chestnut i wouldnt have to wait for...

I love the chesetnut color, but if you're going to use it in lighter cicumstanses (I will be using mine as winter boots) the dark tan is very nice. You should not let the longer delivery effect your purchase, what does a month or so matter in all the years of wear?
smile.gif

Sharpe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wosk
I love the chesetnut color, but if you're going to use it in lighter cicumstanses (I will be using mine as winter boots) the dark tan is very nice. You should not let the longer delivery effect your purchase, what does a month or so matter in all the years of wear?
smile.gif

True. It comes down to which colour I like more. I'd wear it night and day time I think. But that still wouldn't really affect my decision.

SpeedBird

Reaction score

If anyone has experience with the feel of a regular Craftsman vs. the Blaxland, please let me know!

Thanks!

Jeff

Craftsman and Blaxland have the same leather inner sole, the colour is yellowish. Comfort Craftsman have a different inner sole slighty thicker and its a reddish colour.

amce

Reaction score
Can't wait for the pics, Wraith. The Yearling is a nice looking boot, judging from the pic on RMW's website.

Thank God Baxter redid their site. The HB looks really nice. I'm trying hard to rationalize a seventh pair of boots.

Cheers

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wearing my RM Williams Bushman flat heel for the last few weeks, I got them in the spring, but didn't have much need for boots over the summer. I just love them. Bushman flat heel (made to order) I got them instead of the Craftsman because I like the lower profile of the screwed sole (it really is much sleeker without the stitching around the sole) and I like the rounded toe instead of the chisel shape. They really are just a perfect fit for me, I'm normally a 12.5-13D US and I got the 12 G. I accidentally received a screwed comfort sole version (I didn't know they did the comfort sole with screws, so I had not specified leather on the final order email though I'd mentioned it on the original request I made. They handled the exchange very well) and just didn't like how thick and clunky it looked, and it felt too padded for me. I returned them, and eventually got the boot I wanted.

amce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
accidentally received a screwed comfort sole version (I didn't know they did the comfort sole with screws, so I had not specified leather on the final order email though I'd mentioned it on the original request I made. They handled the exchange very well) and just didn't like how thick and clunky it looked, and it felt too padded for me. I returned them, and eventually got the boot I wanted.

I once enquired about that combination: screwed leather outer sole and comfort inner. Was told that it could not be done. You live and learn.

Cheers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads