• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mytailor shirt, measurements are off

SartorialKing

Reaction score
I just received a shirt from mytailor.com and the measurements are a bit off from what I entered in the form. I used measurements from another shirt.

Entered Actual
Neck\t39 \t 39.5
Chest\t58\t\t 60
Waist\t51\t\t 53
Hip\t55\t\t 56
Shoulder\t48\t\t 50.5
Left Sleeve/Arm Length\t66\t 66.5\t
Right Sleeve/Arm Length\t66\t 66.5\t\t\t
Length\t80\t\t 83.5
Cuffs circumference\t26\t 27

I have washed it 3 times, 40 degrees C, no tumble dry. Do I need to wash it in 60 degrees and tumble dry for it to shrink to the correct length? I don't usually wash my shirts in 60 degrees C.

Should I be entitled to a new shirt if the shirt doesn't shrink more? I mean, what's the point of paying 100$ for a made to measure shirt if the measurements are off like this.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Yeah, that looks awful. I had the same problem with them the first time around. If you complain, they should at least give you a credit. I recommend just telling them the measurements of the shirt you want, rather than letting them add whatever allowance they feel like.

sii1981

Reaction score
the arms are way too long, they will never shrink short enough.
im waiting for my first order to arrive myself, but i gave the measurement of a shirt that i already own(with a few adjustment) rather than my body measurement. i hope it comes out ok. how did you find the quality of the shirt apart from the off fit?

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's just no substitute for being measured in person. Do they not travel anywhere near you?

pkincy

Reaction score
I can't tell you what my commercial launderer uses in terms of water temp but one characteristic of all my My Tailor orders is that they seem huge when received but fit exactly as I want after 3 commercial washings and seem to hold that size for some time.

Perry

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sleeves are a bit long and you seem yo have a bit of extra room in the back as well.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
isnt' that to be expected for a shirt produced by an online tailor - which already will not produce a perfectly specified shirt, in addition to your measures for your body that is not optimal?

fly to Hong Kong and get a shirt measured and made for half the cost. $50 a pop.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ginlimetonic
fly to Hong Kong and get a shirt measured and made for half the cost. $50 a pop.

Failed economics class, did you?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkincy
I can't tell you what my commercial launderer uses in terms of water temp but one characteristic of all my My Tailor orders is that they seem huge when received but fit exactly as I want after 3 commercial washings and seem to hold that size for some time. Perry
This. All of my MyTailor shirts are positively huge when I receive them in the mail, but fit more or less perfectly to my specifications after about 3 commercial launderings. Also, if you're feeling up to it, you could hasten the process yourself by tumble-drying the shirts. Shirts do most of their shrinking in the dryer, not the washer. I know it's considered anathema to tumble-dry dress shirts, but in the case of new Hemrajanis, you pretty much have to. They're basically shrink-to-fit. Annoying? A bit, perhaps. But arguably less annoying than receiving a shirt that fits perfectly right out of the box, then having that shirt shrink on you after a laundering or two. It's a lesser of two evils.

SartorialKing

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
Yeah, that looks awful. I had the same problem with them the first time around. If you complain, they should at least give you a credit. I recommend just telling them the measurements of the shirt you want, rather than letting them add whatever allowance they feel like.

That's what I did, in my post I entered the measurements I wanted and what I got. They are all off.
I will wash it in 60 C and tumble dry it a couple of times and see how it comes out after that.

SartorialKing

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sii1981
the arms are way too long, they will never shrink short enough.
im waiting for my first order to arrive myself, but i gave the measurement of a shirt that i already own(with a few adjustment) rather than my body measurement. i hope it comes out ok. how did you find the quality of the shirt apart from the off fit?

The fabric is two ply superfine cotton. Poplin I think. It's very soft, a bit difficult to iron and it's not very wrinkle resistant. I will try a twill next time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics