• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
how would one get a $1,000 off coupon at Tourneau?
bounce2.gif

buy a lot of **** from there.

Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
who is the strap maker?

red gator rocks.

I forget the name, I have it bookmarked on my computer at work.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I don't think so, the link was posted in a thread where somebody was looking for a brown watch strap. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find it and others to look at.

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jbreen1
Thoughts on these? I'd rather get a U-boat but I'm a poor college kid so these are in my price range and they look like they are still good quality. I've never seen one in person and they don't have a dealer listing page on their site so I'm not sure where I'd be able to see one so I'm thinking about just ordering. Anybody have one or held one? Do they seem pretty rugged? All of the watches they make are pretty huge. These are the two smallest ones I think, 47mm which is still huge but better then their 50mm watches.
thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail-1.jpg

This one looks pretty cool too. I couldn't find a lot of info on it but it looks like it's going to be part of a new line and it's called the field watch. Looks like it may be a bit smaller too which I would like better. Anybody know when this is coming out?
tsovet-spring-summer-2010-03.jpg

They're decent. Wore one (the second pic, in black/white w/ brown strap) for 6 months, had some issues with the lugs, mainly that the screws kept breaking (twice, and they're broken again now, just waiting for Tsovet to get back to me). Problem is the lugs are screwed on and not a part of the actual case, so there's tension there and the screws are really small.

Awesome details, the one I had was their smallest with a 47mm face. I like the looks of the new line.. but I don't think I'd buy one again.

Recent watch purchases:
3888383120_357bcb7514.jpg

Omega Speedmaster Automatic. Still can't decide if I should've gone with the Pro, but this was a couple hundred bucks cheaper.
3887589451_7f11508b57.jpg

Sandoz Submariner homage, for ***** and giggles. Really like it actually, it's a bit scratched/beat up, and the lume has yellowed nicely.

I want an IWC portugese or pilot.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
yeah, I need small and sleek. I have very tiny wrists, 39mm is pretty much the widest I can go without looking silly. My boss gets $1,000 off coupons to Tourneau pretty regularly and I'm thinking about picking up the basic Portofino around bonus time. Also, I'd like to add a red alligator strap, gld203 posted a link a while ago to a good maker.
If you can spend a bit more I'd look into a Jaeger Ultra Thin. You can probably find a used one in Torneau's inventory somewhere.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
If you can spend a bit more I'd look into a Jaeger Ultra Thin. You can probably find a used one in Torneau's inventory somewhere.

yes I looked at that but the price is nearly double that of the Portofino. The Tourneau cards are only good for new watches and for a handful of brands (but IWC and JLC are included). A JLC Reverso Duo is my dream watch, I'd rather put $5K towards one of those and keep the $2K for a the IWC I love.

_AMD

Reaction score
I don't think so, the link was posted in a thread where somebody was looking for a brown watch strap. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find it and others to look at.

Probably ABP in Paris?

Aaron

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are pretty nice. Automatic movement too.
B2_websale220122551_std.jpg

revamp

Reaction score
Alright guys, quartz and TAG comments aside, which one should I keep?

The general consensus seems to be the one with the black dial, but I'm leaning towards keeping the silver dial version.

I guess my question for this forum is what clothes would NOT match the silver dial version?

Thanks!

tag.jpg

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
yes I looked at that but the price is nearly double that of the Portofino. The Tourneau cards are only good for new watches and for a handful of brands (but IWC and JLC are included). A JLC Reverso Duo is my dream watch, I'd rather put $5K towards one of those and keep the $2K for a the IWC I love.
Are you really in need of a watch at the moment? Why not just save up for the Reverso? My local Torneau had 4 Reversos in the used section last time I was there. I'm sure you can snag one for under 4k.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Are you really in need of a watch at the moment? Why not just save up for the Reverso? My local Torneau had 4 Reversos in the used section last time I was there. I'm sure you can snag one for under 4k.

For me (just over a year out of college), the difference between $1400 and $2200 isn't so bad (I can snag the IWC for $2K new w/o any discount from retail plus the gift card). The difference, however, between $2.5K and $4k is quite substantial, and while I could probably swing a Reverso when bonus time rolls around, I'm trying to stay level headed financially. Gotta keep the priorities in check. A Reverso is on my list of things to get, the one I have my eye on is more in the $6-7K range. In due time.

I like the IWC not because it's an IWC, but rather I have a need for an elegant yet simple round faced watch that is very versatile and will last me for years and years. I've looked at Omega, Longines, JLC, Cartier, but the IWC provides just what I'm looking for. In the long term I also would love an Omega Seamaster Automatic to cover the weekend and casual watch needs.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I decided to spend more and get a decent automatic. I really want an Omega Speedmaster but am hesitant to spend that kind of money. I'm really liking the Hamilton Officer though. Amazon seems to have a nice one that ships from Watchgems. Anyone familiar with this place? Does it look legit?
http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Khaki...2370435&sr=1-3

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
img1113w.jpg

Nice watch but would look exponentially better on a lacquered gator strap no?

dl

Confucius

Reaction score
+1

That watch would look epic on a dark brown croc.

My latest addition (I knew that as soon as I bought my Pilot Chrono, I'd taken my first step into a very dangerous and expensive disease....)

9332_146189296944_525281944_2962687_1646178_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads