• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would you do if you won the lottery?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I love Cleveland. I would move there if I could. With $50MM I could have far more grandiose dreams, but in such a situation I think I would do the more practical and realistic things that have always been dear to me.
I bet you could almost buy all of Cleveland for $50 million dollars.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would finish my residency, do my year of peds neurosurgery fellowship, find a neurosurgery department in need of a pediatric neurosurgeon in a liveable city, endow my own chair, and then slave away as a pediatric neurosurgeon.

In the immediate future, during residency, I would buy a reasonable house close to the hospital, $400-500K (reasonable for the amount of money that I'd just won), an M5, and a better parking pass at the hospital. I would fill my house with extremely nice furniture and electronics. My wife and I would probably have a child sooner than we've been planning.

I would establish a book and conference travel fund for my fellow neurosurgery residents, $5,000 each per year. I would also buy lead for each of them so we don't all have to share the same nasty, sweaty lead.

I'd re-establish my flight training currency and eventually buy an airplane.

I'd sit on the rest until I found something worthwhile to do with it.

I would do everything i could to make sure I'd never have to go to Cleveland.
devil.gif

Casey

Reaction score
Well, since a friend of mine just moved to Washington D.C. and said that the swimming pools usually close after Labor Day, I realized that I should probably see the rest of my country before going off to some other ones (because the swimming pools here never close for the winter).

I would also like to buy homes in San Diego, Orange County, and/or LA since I will probably need to have my southern California base, and I would also like to have apartments in San Francisco and Chicago in case I ever wanted to pay higher sales taxes than I already am.

But before I even worry about that, I would want to open up my own shop in San Diego selling decent (the best) clothes that you would normally find in Orange County and LA but not here. Our Bloomingdale's and CO-OP are the best places to go here for good clothes (imagine that), and you won't even find good menswear. I'd like to own the next Maxfield or Hejfina (or even Farinelli's...) so that San Diego can be a bit more fashionable. I would probably be the only vendor in San Diego that sells stuff from A.P.C. to Lanvin.

And the reason why I would need 50 million is because this project will probably fail due to the fact that people here wear the same thing all year long and believe in Quiksilver moreso than Maison Martin Margiela. And I would like to have some money leftover for those beachside houses.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If say $50 million landed in my lap, I think the first thing I would do is go out and buy a brand new black paint Leica MP, a set of Summicron lenses (28, 50 and 75), a Rolleiflex GX 80 f2.8 Twin lens reflex camera, big pile of Kodak Tri-x in 35mm and 120 and do a lot of traveling with both cameras taking pictures.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd also buy a Patek 5960 and wear it to show the dumbass at the jewelry store at the Wynn Las Vegas who first told me that watch doesn't exist and then that it would take me a lifetime to afford it.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I won $50m I'd probably do the same as I do now but my future plans would definitely change. Would still finish off my designation and look to get into a good post-grad school. Would still move to a larger city. Would give money to my parents.

Might change my focus from a job with longer hours to a job with less hours in a similar industry.

Would purchase property at an earlier age. Wouldn't blow $ on clothing but would do what I do now. I'd probably start a few businesses. First start a franchise and move onto other businesses.

Would continue hitting on the same types of girls, hanging with the same crew, etc. I'm pretty happy with the way my life is going now.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
would pay myself an annuity of 300k a year, plenty for me. would probably have a one-time shopping spree on clothes, maybe 15-20k. would immediately ensure my kids college was paid for. would open a gym/health-food restaurant as a labor of love, and would probably just train there, set the menu and let it be. would buy myself a car, something foolish but not over the top, like a TT. would buy a bigger house in westchester and a small vacation place on the cape, a dwell house or something. would build a house for around 250 american on the land we have in ireland. would buy my mom and m-in-law a big house to share so they could drive each other nuts.

after all that, i'd do very little else. spend my time traveling, cooking, working out and maybe teach art at a local school for no salary.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
after all that, i'd do very little else. spend my time traveling, cooking, working out and maybe teach art at a local school for no salary.

That's pretty altruistic.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well, giving up a 40k starting salary is not too altruistic, but i think if children had a better foundation in art and/or music, they'd be more interesting and thoughtful people later in life, whether accountants or pianists or painter or postman.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) Bribe lawmakers into illegalizing all of my pet peeves

2) Real life Batman

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
1. Buy massive chunk of land in Russia
2. Hire army of Ghurkas to defend my land
3. Secede from Russia
4. ???
5. Profit

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I'd probably spend a few million on a nice place in Georgetown and spend my days reading, partying and traveling.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
What would you do if you won a lump sum of $50MM after taxes?

I can tell you what both of my brother in laws did once they won
teacha.gif

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personal:
Around the world cruise for a year without a cell phone - relatives, 'friends,' hucksters, etc. trying to get a piece couldn't contact me.

Once the cruise is done, buy a fun but un-flashy car (something like the high-end Mitsubishi Lancer or a VW) and spend a year or two just driving around the country, seeing everything I could see.

Wanderlust finished, settle down in San Francisco or Portland, start up some kind of gallery/boutique that let me curate my interests, run it basically as a non-profit. Have a space for all-ages music and local bands.

Go back to school for architecture, I think. Or maybe just take all the classes in the arts and design I could.

Being A Decent Human Being:
Endow a yearly project with Auburn University's Rural Studio

In Texas, fund an organization that leases basic cars to single parents for a nominal sum. For a single mother in an area without mass transit, a way to get to a decent/living-wage job is a huge obstacle.

Mobile soup kitchens serving the homeless in Dallas.

Give money to no-kill animal shelters.

Never give a goddamned penny to a politician.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads