• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

8bpc

Reaction score
Eye wear related question: suggestions for a nice, simple, clean, hard case that would fit Mosley Tribes Enforcer. I want to be able to toss them in my bag and not worry about them being crushed in their original soft case. Thanks

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 8bpc
Eye wear related question: suggestions for a nice, simple, clean, hard case that would fit Mosley Tribes Enforcer. I want to be able to toss them in my bag and not worry about them being crushed in their original soft case. Thanks

Well, there arent any name brand case makers. They are usually just given for free with the frames or you can usually want into a shop and get one for $5. If you go into a shop and you dont like it, just walk over to another shop. It is hard for me to tell you which case to get because they are not items that are generally sold for all the much so people just have them hanging around the shop.

auto_pilot

Reaction score
I currently have gradient, glass lenses in my sunglasses. I am waiting for my polarized sun glasses to ship (aforementioned Revo Transom). How much damage potentially can a non-polarized lense have to your eyes? Granted I wear UV protected contacts.

TIA!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by auto_pilot
I currently have gradient, glass lenses in my sunglasses. I am waiting for my polarized sun glasses to ship (aforementioned Revo Transom). How much damage potentially can a non-polarized lense have to your eyes? Granted I wear UV protected contacts.

TIA!

Damage? Not much, there are tons of people who wear lenses that are non polarized. It is like having a bicycle and car. Both will get you from point A to point B, its just that the car will get you there with little effort.

In the same way, polarized lenses are "soothing" meaning that they allow your eyes to relax a bit. Polarized lenses will let your eyes be a bit more comfortable cutting out a lot of the glare.

I wouldnt worry too much about damaging your eyes with non-polarized lenses.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I found some Persols I really like (2339S) but none of the optometrists in my plan can get this model (they all have the same state distributor). Are any of the online RX sunglass dealers good and do any take insurance?

ennui

Reaction score
I recently bought these frames in black:

http://www.framesdirect.com/framesfp...-tctgqc/r.html

They reduce the roundness of my face and fit well; however, I dislike the branding on the sides. Are there similar frames out there that are made of titanium that don't have this obnoxious branding?

foxnwolf

Reaction score
i just got tinted perscription lenses on clear lenses and i find there's lots of reflection. can i get them polarized after tinting them?

also, why don't eyewear companies provide information or a catalog on their current collections? i'm a big fan of cutler and gross and it's so hard to find them in stores, their website has nothing..

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
I found some Persols I really like (2339S) but none of the optometrists in my plan can get this model (they all have the same state distributor). Are any of the online RX sunglass dealers good and do any take insurance?

From my experience....
Do they take insurance? Probably not. Most online dealers do NOT have any sort of qualifications. They are just joe shmoes that got an "in" on the industry. Some of them are people in the industry. But most of them will not and cannot do insurance claims. Also most insurance companies probably won't accept it anyways because they want to call shops and confirm information.

Your best bet would be to buy the frames out of pocket and get the lenses filled under your insurance plan. Or you could try to just do it and see if they will cover it.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dswang
I recently bought these frames in black:

http://www.framesdirect.com/framesfp...-tctgqc/r.html

They reduce the roundness of my face and fit well; however, I dislike the branding on the sides. Are there similar frames out there that are made of titanium that don't have this obnoxious branding?

I really like those frames. They are thin metal and light. However, if you are looking for something similar without any labels, I know there is a Boss frame similar but heavier and also the temples are plastic with a small plaque that says Hugo Boss. If you are looking for something without labels try looking at Salt or O&X. I am sure that there are tons of other brands, but I dont know them.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foxnwolf
i just got tinted perscription lenses on clear lenses and i find there's lots of reflection. can i get them polarized after tinting them?

also, why don't eyewear companies provide information or a catalog on their current collections? i'm a big fan of cutler and gross and it's so hard to find them in stores, their website has nothing..

1. Lenses CANNOT be made polarized after being tint. Polarized lenses are a separate lens all together. It is layered with a polarized filter in between so it is not feasible.

2. They do not waste their resources making a good catalogue because they have new frames that come out all the time (between seasons) and also they disconitnue the frames all the time too. It is not worth their time to keep it updated.

Also, store owners usually dont keep catalogues because it is NEVER completely updated even at printing. Another thing is, stores want to sell what they have on the floor to turn over inventory, not order piece by piece.

Also, most people that just call in to stores for pricing, from the stores point of view, are not serious about purchasing. If you come into a store and ask if it is possible to order things, they will be more helpful.

(Im not trying to put you down, I am just telling you from a shops point of view)

foxnwolf

Reaction score
i knew exactly which cutler&gross model i wanted but i wanted to shop around. i called and emailed 5 different shops from nyc to la. some responded saying they will get back to me. no body did, so i went ahead a dropped $600 on a pair..

just common courtesy really. if you sell a certain brand, how hard is it to look up the price?

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
Polarized lenses are completely different. It is 2 lenses fused together with a filter in the middle. Polarized lenses will not and cannot fade. BUT, all high index lenses that you get will fade after a year or so.

Thanks, again.

Does that mean that high index polarized lenses can't be done?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foxnwolf
i knew exactly which cutler&gross model i wanted but i wanted to shop around. i called and emailed 5 different shops from nyc to la. some responded saying they will get back to me. no body did, so i went ahead a dropped $600 on a pair.. just common courtesy really. if you sell a certain brand, how hard is it to look up the price?
I agree. Obviously that is not the same philosophy of all frame carriers. Unfortunately, distributors dont care what kind of shop they sell their product to as long as they push it through. But you have to think about it from the store's perspective. Someone calls you from another state and tell you they want to buy frames from you. They are going to be VERY suspicious because of all the fraud going on these days. Also, this is a service sector so our expertise is in problem solving Rxs, adjustments, teaching how to care for your glasses and so on. Most people are under the impression that it is a sales sector. Sure we sell frames, but we also provide a service that your neighbor cannot provide. Personally my philosophy is "Do as you say you will do. Also, exceed expectations". Ask anyone on SF who has PM'ed me or emailed me, you have all received responses. It is a shame that not all people know how to service a customer/client/patient. I am sorry that you had bad experiences with different shops, but you just didnt find the right shop to deal with. Hope you enjoy the ones that you bought!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
Thanks, again.

Does that mean that high index polarized lenses can't be done?

It IS possible to get high index polarized lenses. Also, you can get them "surfaced" which will make them thinner. Surfaced means that they will custom made for your prescription for that particular frame. High index will be expensive. Depending on your RX and frame, you might not need it to be high index.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics