• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Austro-Hungarian school of shoemaking

marcus-

Reaction score
Great shots!

opII-savvy4.jpg

I like that shoe a lot
wink.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
opII-sartorialist.jpg

form the hungarian sartorialist:

opII-sartorialist1.jpg

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
anybody else interested in a trunk show in san francisco, los angeles or any other major city?
DC, PM me if it happens.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
while holding up a private trunk show in vienna a few days ago, a friend of mine mentioned, that he owns a pair Mr. Kiss made for him in 1990.

today, i received some pics. admittedly, they need some tlc. on the other hand, they never saw a repair shop. that speaks imo for their quality.

DeralteKiss004.jpg

DeralteKiss002.jpg

DeralteKiss003.jpg

DeralteKiss001.jpg

no need to say, that they have a lot of mileage taken in the two decades.
cheers.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
DC, PM me if it happens.
it was sort of an inside joke, but it is a valid goal. i'll do my best. it's likely, i will be in los angeles in autumn. let's see, what's possible and realistic.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by metalheels
Hi Sir:

Thanks for your response to my original query about steel on your shoes.....

Recently my laptop died and I lost the pics you were kind enough to share with me a year ago. Is there a possibility that you can forward to me some duplicate pics pf your shoes and steel? I would really appreciate your kindness.

Thanks for your kindness...

MH Rusty

PS:If there is anything you would like from me in return will be happy to send to you.

Recently, i started several shoe restorations. i am looking for a pair of Alden in 9.5 - 10.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rapad
Do you come to Hungary regularly for shoes, or for anything else?

for the shoes, which are offered through "operation paprika" in buying&selling

sergun

Reaction score
Received this masterpiece from Fritzl and absolutely happy nowadays - I've found a new love! They fit well, I can even say that too perfect for the non-bespoke shoes and have a stunning construction. Sure they are not the most elegant shoes in the world but they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned without any exception. I'm also inspired by the soft leather and stitching quality. Gyula Kiss has a golden hands! Wish him good health! Don't be afraid to support 'operation paprika'. Fritzl is a real Gentleman, selling the best shoes at the best price. They'd definitely exceed your expectations. Danke schön for the great laces!

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here is a pair of shoes made by the famous company of Bela Nagy (Vienna) in 1938.

http://www.dhub.org/object/172114&img=2917

Nagy1.jpg

Nagy2.jpg

Nagy3.jpg

(thanks ‘shoefan’ for the link).

Bela Nagy existed until 1973, when the company was bought by Georg Materna and integrated into Materna.

It just proves my impression (as formed in Vienna’s ‘Shoe Museum’), that the look which Fritzl promotes as ’Austro-Hungarian school’
is a stylistic change of the post war period. Until that point, Austria (at least the makers in Vienna) produced ’town shoes’
for a smart and international clientele, not that folksy look of today.

Another example: Scheer, probably also from the 1930s.
http://centipede.web.fc2.com/r-scheer.html

Why that change occurred, I do not know.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
B.S....that Scheer post off of Centipede could have easily been made today by Fosters, Cleverley or G&G given its gorgeous shape....I'm surprised I missed this one off of Centipede's site. The look is what I thought was classic English...but it appears you have given me insight as to what the Austrian's were once capable of making to compete with the English

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sergun
Received this masterpiece from Fritzl and absolutely happy nowadays - I've found a new love!

They fit well, I can even say that too perfect for the non-bespoke shoes and have a stunning construction. Sure they are not the most elegant shoes in the world but they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned without any exception.
I'm also inspired by the soft leather and stitching quality. Gyula Kiss has a golden hands! Wish him good health!

Don't be afraid to support 'operation paprika'. Fritzl is a real Gentleman, selling the best shoes at the best price. They'd definitely exceed your expectations.

Danke schön for the great laces!

Thank you for your kind words. Wear them in good health.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
personal meet up with a fellow sf'er for the "fitting" procedure. looking forward to it
smile.gif

opII-22.jpg

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
Here is a pair of shoes made by the famous company of Bela Nagy (Vienna) in 1938.

http://www.dhub.org/object/172114&img=2917

Nagy1.jpg

Nagy2.jpg

Nagy3.jpg

(thanks "˜shoefan' for the link).

Bela Nagy existed until 1973, when the company was bought by Georg Materna and integrated into Materna.

It just proves my impression (as formed in Vienna's "˜Shoe Museum'), that the look which Fritzl promotes as 'Austro-Hungarian school'
is a stylistic change of the post war period. Until that point, Austria (at least the makers in Vienna) produced 'town shoes'
for a smart and international clientele, not that folksy look of today.

Another example: Scheer, probably also from the 1930s.
http://centipede.web.fc2.com/r-scheer.html

Why that change occurred, I do not know.

That red pair of spectators at the top are in the Museum in Sydney right ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads