• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men Season 3 Discussion

Albern

Reaction score
Since we're focusing on Draper and his past, does the opening sequence of him falling off a building mean anything with respect to a sign of things to come?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl
He is a student of life. Anyone who could react in such a way after witnessing his superior's death has already learned a thing or two. I believe he draws on his hatred for his "former" life or early years as motivation to self-improve. He witnesses how others act, and he quickly assesses who and what traits are worth imitating.

that actually sounds very plausible to me.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
i think he hates his former life, but then at the same time he tried to get in touch with his brother after his callous dismissal. he talked about it with a lot of joy it seemed to the gentleman at rogers party, but then avoids it around betty, and speaks about it with such visible pain to rachel menken.

i think his feelings towards his past are all over the place

and then i remember him in someways opening up to his son Bobby in season one with his almost begging his son to be interested in him, and 'ask me anything' approach... and the apparent hurt in his eyes when bobby asked about ladybugs.

i really want to know if/how they are going to approach the apparent lack of a father in dons life as the series progresses.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
i really want to know if/how they are going to approach the apparent lack of a father in dons life as the series progresses.

"we need to get you a new daddy"

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
i forgot about that line. i think it was my 'carousel' moment from last season.

so far this seasons 'carousel' moment was peggys monologue this past episode... though i feel like whenever betty has her baby there is gonna be some hard core emotional scenes...

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this episode humbled Kinsey in light of his old jersey accent, his insecurity about getting kicked out of the tiger tones, and when the young creative guy said "We got it, you're educated."

For whoever mentioned it, Pete was the only other person who was grimacing at the Sterling's blackface.

I got the ep soon after my previous post and just recently had a chance to watch it with my girlfriend. I dont watch it on TV since breaking a period show for modern commercials makes it all seem less real.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone please ID this handsome lamp for me.

MadMenLamp2.jpg

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
I dont watch it on TV since breaking a period show for modern commercials makes it all seem less real.

That's a good idea as I primarily watch the show to get a taste of what 1960s society was like; a fun history lesson if you will. As a viewer, you're much more a purest than I am.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just finished season 2. If I watch tonight's ep, will I be totally lost?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I just finished season 2. If I watch tonight's ep, will I be totally lost?

download the last three episodes first, it always works better that way..

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Sally is perhaps my favorite child character ever.

this.

she has a ton of range for what a 10 year old girl, it will be interesting to see how her career goes.

i really like how don is trying, or atleast it seems like he's trying to be a better husband and father. that could be the change of momentum i was feeling early on... but i really like that despite being don draper, indulging in infidelity, and dishonesty... he is trying.

i guess it just does a lot to show his humanity

the jai alai thing... the kids arrogance was comical

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics