• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trepanier wins Esquire's Best Dressed Real Man contest

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Surfrider
SAMHollywoodThanks2.jpg

that guy doesn't look asian

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wetnose
Ah but Foo *did* get the girl in the end!!!
bounce2.gif

There are Asians, and then there are Mafoos.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
WGWAG

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

instep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by origenesprit
that guy doesn't look asian
Actually, he looks exactly like bluemagic.
07-24-2009-1.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
^^^ That guy is like the anti foo. His head is three sizes too small for his body. Maybe they should trade.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I don't like most Asians.

You must have had a great time in China.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
WGWAG
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

This is unusual in some way?

Edit: Twenty five years ago ... when I invited to the same party two couples – be theyWGirlWAGuy or WGuyWAGirl -- and in one case WGuyWAGuy -- the next day the better known partner of each couple would be on the phone asking if I just assumed they'd hit it off because they had this "mix" in common. Never mind that they did hit it off ... and never mind that four of the fifteen couples most often at my house included both a person of Asian and European origin. Today ... if I were to exclude such couples ... it would be one heckova lonely party ... why I couldn't even have a family reunion.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Interesting conversation. I'd like to clarify a few things and get them off my chest.

I don't have a trust fund and I didn't grow up filthy rich. I will not say I was never handed anything because my parents did always make sure I had every possible opportunity to succeed. It would be disingenuous and ungrateful for me to pretend that I've had a hard life compared to most.

However, I did work for every success and failure that I can put to my name. I've never had any important family connections to speak of and no one's ever given me a position or place outside of the same channels anybody else would have to go through. In other words, I didn't work a job after school to pay for college or help support my family, but I did spend every available hour studying for the higest grades and scores, and I have never been entitled to meet lower standards (if anything, the opposite was the case).

So, you can tell me I'm luckier than most, but I'm comfortable saying I've worked as hard as most, too.

Yet, none of this really matters, does it? Vox is right: 'real'-ness has nothing to do with your job or your income, and it's every bit as prejudiced to judge someone for being wealthy as it is to judge them for being poor. I shouldn't have had to say any of the above because nobody should have assumed otherwise.

Finally, I think it's important to acknowledge that dressing well is a luxury. I don't look down on anyone for the way he dresses; it's simply not a very essential or important aspect of living a good, honorable life, Yet, precisely because it's not very important, one should expect that only those fortunate enough are be able to indulge in its pursuit.

I congratulate you for voluntarily subjecting yourself to this idiotic contest and being
a good sport throughout. I did not follow it except in this Forum, but suffice to
say you were by far the best-dressed from the photos and video clips. Like Brooks
Brothers in clothing , Esquire has changed from a publication that epitomized
the standards of style to a vehicle for marketing trendy mens "fashion". As for the
Today Show, I stopped watching it after the departure of J. Fred Muggs.

The winner, Dan, whom I only laid eyes on yesterday in this Forum is undoubtedly
a phoney. His "get up" with that Rugby Shirt said it all"” Ralph Lauren manque′.
I suppose that he wears two Lacoste shirts at a time with their collars up.
Then the bio information: An extensive and expensive wardrobe right out of
college with no real means of support. That's not American. That's "Old Europe".

You, on the other hand, have worked hard to attain high achievement,
culminating with graduation from one of the most prestigious law schools.
As you said, you didn't grow up filthy rich, etc. That would seem to need further
elucidation. I do not wish to pry. But not many law students can afford to
indulge in bespoke Rubinacci, after prior disillusionment with the Oxxford
"custom" program. I have a close family member who was worth about
$5 million ten years ago in his mid 20s. He wasn't in law school however.
He was in Technology. And then there's the lottery.

instep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
I congratulate you for voluntarily subjecting yourself to this idiotic contest and being
a good sport throughout. I did not follow it except in this Forum, but suffice to
say you were by far the best-dressed from the photos and video clips. Like Brooks
the standards of style to a vehicle for marketing trendy mens "fashion". As for the

The winner, Dan, whom I only laid eyes on yesterday in this Forum is undoubtedly
a phoney. His "get up" with that Rugby Shirt said it all"” Ralph Lauren manque′.
college with no real means of support. That's not American. That's "Old Europe".

As you said, you didn't grow up filthy rich, etc. That would seem to need further

What a powerfully stupid post. Congratulations.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
This is unusual in some way?
I'm easily amused and was amazed to find that people had created an acronym for it as a social phenomenon.

BTW, comrade and instep, I think speculating about mafoofan's means of support is very 2008. Instep, I'm still waiting for you to attack me after Manton.

pdial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade

WTF, you are an idiot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads