• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy blue flannel

FCS

Reaction score
We know that grey flannel is a classic staple, but what do people here think about navy blue? I'm thinking to get my first bespoke suit in the near future.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
We know that grey flannel is a classic staple, but what do people here think about navy blue? I'm thinking to get my first bespoke suit in the near future.
It can be gorgeous cloth.  Go with H. Lesser, and you will have a stunning suit.  Solid, striped, or windowpane, you can't go wrong.  "Postman's" blue or slate blue or blue gray also make great colors for flannel, if you want something a little lighter, or a little different.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy blue flannel from Hield is something I've used. Excellent stuff.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy blue flannel would make a great suit. I think you're a bit worried because your thinking of a heavyweight flannel. Go with something a bit lighter like doeskin flannel and you'll be fine.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BUMP!

Can someone recommend me a navy blue woolen flannel for a blazer I want to get made up?

I'm thinking single-breasted, 2 patch, welted breast, 2-button, double vented.

Thanks.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
BUMP!

Can someone recommend me a navy blue woolen flannel for a blazer I want to get made up?

Thanks.

Minnis and get three patch, 2 patch+welted chest is way overrated on this forum. Just make sure your guy knows how to make patch pockets.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FCS
If it has a stripe or in some rare cases a windowpane, then you are good to go. Otherwise, a solid navy flannel or, worse, a blue-grey flannel look too much like a blue collar uniform.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
If it has a stripe or in some rare cases a windowpane, then you are good to go. Otherwise, a solid navy flannel or, worse, a blue-grey flannel look too much like a blue collar uniform.

Yes, for example, the chap on the left looks as if he's just knocked off from a hard day's work at the factory, whereas the one on the right looks your typical fat cat.

life+gianni+agnelli.jpg

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRogers
Yes, for example, the chap on the left looks as if he's just knocked off from a hard day's work at the factory, whereas the one on the right looks your typical fat cat.
life+gianni+agnelli.jpg

Yes, I think you have something there. I dont particularly like that light grey suit either. Nor do I like matching one's tie to one's suit. Incidentally, that's really good work posting all those photos of fabric.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Minnis and get three patch, 2 patch+welted chest is way overrated on this forum. Just make sure your guy knows how to make patch pockets.

You speak, I listen.

I presume you're speaking about the Minnis 0306?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
There are good blazer flannels in Minnis, Harrison, Lesser and Smith. I got mine from Harrison, they had a lighter navy color that I liked a lot.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel

Really? I think 3 patch is overrated.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
BUMP!

Thanks.

I'd get a wool over a flannel, P&H has some great fabrics that may be of interest.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
I'd get a wool over a flannel, P&H has some great fabrics that may be of interest.

Flannel is wool.
confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads