• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

imainish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Usually that means your sleeves are too short. when you put those shirts on and curl your arms, do you feel tightness in the elbow area?

The sleeve length is fine, it's from having my elbows on the desk all day.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question: How do you tell if buttons are real horn or MOP? I can often tell when they are not, but are there plastics that mimic the real thing so well that it is difficult. Is there any test like rubbing them on your teeth or fingernails or whatever?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
Question: How do you tell if buttons are real horn or MOP? I can often tell when they are not, but are there plastics that mimic the real thing so well that it is difficult. Is there any test like rubbing them on your teeth or fingernails or whatever?

Try and stick a heated needle into the back - if it won't go in it's MOP, if it goes in and smells of singed hair it's horn.

This won't work in a shop...

Teeth test isn't that reliable, but MOP & horn will generally feel harder.

KennethB

Reaction score
question: what color chinos look good with tan suede desert boots? Khaki - am I in danger of looking like 'tan man' (too close to same color?). How about grey?

Invicta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KennethB
question: what color chinos look good with tan suede desert boots? Khaki - am I in danger of looking like 'tan man' (too close to same color?). How about grey?

You could try Olive Green and Charcoal as well.

hchc

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, one more question, what online stores can I find quality inner soles especially ones for the toe section without the back part (heel).

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cognacad
I have bought all my clothes in person so far, so it is no problem, but now that I am looking at stuff on this forum, I am curious as to WHAT and HOW I should measure.
Could someone please tell me what the important measurements are? And also, HOW I would go on to measure them? (i.e. from where to where). Feel free to link to a good website, the problem is I find most local people are idiots and can't measure and many websites say different things.

It generally ranges... but I take a number of measurements off stuff that already fits me. Take your best fitting jackets, shirts, etc and measure a few and come up with an average or so. Most important in suits is probably the shoulder width, then the chest, everything else is adjustable (within reason). shoulders, measure across a jacket lying flat... see if this helps
hopefully someone else will chime in with more details...

Originally Posted by calvinloke
Totally normal. Either give them Topys or don't wear them.
+1, it's pretty normal... I was also worried with my first pair. Either wear them gingerly, or probably just Topy them and forget about it. note though, I've heard from some people that Topy sort of makes them "feel" a bit stiffer, like a rubber soled shoe...

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1969
I just picked up some NWT Incotex Super wool 150's. A few questions-

at $60 each were these a good deal or great deal ?

Better than great - awesome even - congrats!

Does the finer fabric present any challenges in cuffing these?

No, some incotex come with tailor's tape to sew on the underside of the cuff (heel guard), or ask your tailor for some if you are concerned and want some added weight at the cuff.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
el72- thanks for the tip on tailors tape. I had never heard of it (slow migration from Streetwear).

Look in the back pocket of the incos. Many of them come with it (even the Daffy's ones).

Aparke612

Reaction score
When looking at the measurement for the hem on pants is the number shown actually only halfway across the pant?
for example if it says the hem is 8" is the leg opening actually 16"?

The Day Man

Reaction score
I have a few sweaters (cashmere, wool) that spent the summer on a hanger in my closet. Now it seems like all the shoulders have a bump where the hanger stretched them. Is there any way to fix this?

balaskonis

Reaction score
when measuring jacket or blazer length, what does BOC stand for? I see for example:

Length BOC: 24.5 inches what does that mean?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aparke612
When looking at the measurement for the hem on pants is the number shown actually only halfway across the pant?
for example if it says the hem is 8" is the leg opening actually 16"?

Yes.

Originally Posted by The Day Man
I have a few sweaters (cashmere, wool) that spent the summer on a hanger in my closet. Now it seems like all the shoulders have a bump where the hanger stretched them. Is there any way to fix this?

Steam lightly and wear (or fold). Never store sweaters on hangers!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by balaskonis
when measuring jacket or blazer length, what does BOC stand for? I see for example:

Length BOC: 24.5 inches what does that mean?

Jacket length is commonly measured from the Bottom of the Collar (BoC).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads