• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's College Football Season boys!!!

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
all the big nfl players are big 10 you moran

why? are you some kind of SEC moran? aaaahhh yewwww a buhhlll dawwwwwwgggg?

I tend to judge my college football on what happens while the players are in college, but just so we're clear:

In 2007 there were more players on NFL rosters from the SEC than any other conference (my cursory search didn't yield an article for 2008). The Big 10+1 was third behind the SEC and, oddly enough, the ACC. The SEC was also the only school with more than two schools with 30+ players on NFL rosters, at five. Two SEC schools ranked in the top five for total players on NFL rosters, no other conference had more than one. The Big 10+1 had one. Oh, and the team from the SEC with the most players on those rosters? Why the "buhhlll dawwwwwwggggs," of course.

http://www.secsports.com/news/defaul...ArticleId=6403

There were more SEC players taken in the 2009 NFL Draft than from any other conference, including the most in the first round, at eight. In this particular stat, the Big 10+1 did make a move. It moved down to fourth behind the SEC, ACC, and Pac 10, respectively.

http://www.collegegameballs.com/2009...nce-breakdown/

Please, continue with the fail. It's been a long week, and I need a good laugh.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Rock Chalk Jayhawk. Gonna be a great year in Lawrence.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Was Mark Mangino's lunch Four chickens or five?

FTFY

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
I tend to judge my college football on what happens while the players are in college, but just so we're clear:

In 2007 there were more players on NFL rosters from the SEC than any other conference (my cursory search didn't yield an article for 2008). The Big 10+1 was third behind the SEC and, oddly enough, the ACC. The SEC was also the only school with more than two schools with 30+ players on NFL rosters, at five. Two SEC schools ranked in the top five for total players on NFL rosters, no other conference had more than one. The Big 10+1 had one. Oh, and the team from the SEC with the most players on those rosters? Why the "buhhlll dawwwwwwggggs," of course.

http://www.secsports.com/news/defaul...ArticleId=6403

There were more SEC players taken in the 2009 NFL Draft than from any other conference, including the most in the first round, at eight. In this particular stat, the Big 10+1 did make a move. It moved down to fourth behind the SEC, ACC, and Pac 10, respectively.

http://www.collegegameballs.com/2009...nce-breakdown/

Please, continue with the fail. It's been a long week, and I need a good laugh.

Hello? Tom Brady, anyone? He is the all-time NCAA passer rating king and also the NFL all-time passer rating king.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello? Tom Brady, anyone? He is the all-time NCAA passer rating king and also the NFL all-time passer rating king.

David Greene, the former UGA Quarterback, is the all time NCAA D-I wins leader.

For NFL talent? Peyton Manning. 'Nuff said.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
David Greene, the former UGA Quarterback, is the all time NCAA D-I wins leader.

why? because he took 8 years to graduate?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Texasmade
If Texas doesn't make it to the BCS NC Game then their year was a bust. With that being said, my Red Raiders better win against A&M.

Originally Posted by TexasLidig8r
The wailing and gnashing of tooth by aggy after yet another loss to the Pirate and his Crew.. is priceless.

*sigh* You guys act like your teams never ever lost against A&M.

FWIW - again I am supporting two alma maters, fortunately they will never play each other.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by modern_leifeng
The pathetic thing is that Tebow actually believes that....
Puhleeze. I'll be the first to admit that the fetishistic treatment of Tebow is ultra-creepy, but the kid's shown himself to be suitably humble for someone in his position. I don't think arrogance is one of his problems. Also, for you Big 10 apologists, please be aware that in the SEC we do not concern ourselves with things like "books," "classes," or these "academics" you love to harp on. We concern ourselves with Football (except for Vandy and Kentucky, and they're pansies). You want a degree from a top 20 school? Look elsewhere (again, except Vandy). You want to go to the NFL (unless you suffer some debilitating injury or turn out to suck, in which case that Ole Miss degree in "exercise and sport science" will allow you to land a job at Starbucks . . . maybe)? Sign here in crayon, we've got a spot for you. I'm joking, sort of, but lets be clear: The SEC currently rules college football, perhaps at the expense of other things. You can have those other things . . . we don't care about them until football season is over.

TexasLidig8r

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
*sigh* You guys act like your teams never ever lost against A&M.

FWIW - again I am supporting two alma maters, fortunately they will never play each other.

Let's put it this way.. for aggy to EVEN the series with Texas... they would have to win every game starting this year. .and ending in ..... 2047 !! YIKES!

Oh.. and Gawja fans... Okie Lite, in the past week or so.. has lost their starting middle linebacker and starting tight end... apparently, one of their starting defensive backs is out too.

TexasLidig8r

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
Puhleeze. I'll be the first to admit that the fetishistic treatment of Tebow is ultra-creepy, but the kid's shown himself to be suitably humble for someone in his position. I don't think arrogance is one of his problems.

Also, for you Big 10 apologists, please be aware that in the SEC we do not concern ourselves with things like "books," "classes," or these "academics" you love to harp on. We concern ourselves with Football (except for Vandy and Kentucky, and they're pansies). You want a degree from a top 20 school? Look elsewhere (again, except Vandy). You want to go to the NFL (unless you suffer some debilitating injury or turn out to suck, in which case that Ole Miss degree in "exercise and sport science" will allow you to land a job at Starbucks . . . maybe)? Sign here in crayon, we've got a spot for you.

I'm joking, sort of, but lets be clear: The SEC currently rules college football, perhaps at the expense of other things. You can have those other things . . . we don't care about them until football season is over.

The SEC may rule college football (as the knobslobberers at the Eastern Sports Promotional Network would have us believe).. but overall.. Texas is 95 - 44 - 4 against all SEC schools... including 9 - 0 - 2 against Florida and Alabama combined.

But.. my oh my.. the lovely co-eds at Ole Miss.... !!

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The SEC may rule college football (as the knobslobberers at the Eastern Sports Promotional Network would have us believe).. but overall.. Texas is 95 - 44 - 4 against all SEC schools... including 9 - 0 - 2 against Florida and Alabama combined. But.. my oh my.. the lovely co-eds at Ole Miss.... !!
55 of those wins are against Arkansas, almost all of which date to before Arky was in the SEC. Texas is .500 against Miss. state (2-2), winless against S. Carolina (0-1), and has lost to Vandy 8 times (3-8-1) My point? Those historical stats don't mean dick, unless you are willing to concede that, by the record, UTexas is a worse team than S. Carolina and Vandy, and equal to Miss. State. I didn't say the SEC has ALWAYS ruled college football, and I didn't say Texas wasn't good. I said the SEC rules college football today. In a few years it will probably be someone else's turn, but the SEC will always be up there simply because we care about football - top-to-bottom - more than the rest of you.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
why? because he took 8 years to graduate?

Nine, but he only played in eight. He took a redshirt season so he could be there when his cousin gave birth to his daughter.

Originally Posted by Big A
I'm joking, sort of, but lets be clear: The SEC currently rules college football, perhaps at the expense of other things. You can have those other things . . . we don't care about them until football season is over.

I went to grad school at UGA, so I don't have much vested in the quality of the undergrad programs, but there are some pretty good public schools in the SEC. UGA and UF are top-20 public schools, and both are in the top 50 or 60 overall. There's Vandy too, but everyone knows they were admitted to the SEC 'cause they gots the smarts. A fair number of SEC schools tend to rank in those "best quality for the money" surveys as well.

Some of the schools in the conference aren't particularly great (Auburn anyone?), but there's nothing wrong with a degree from the better schools in the conference.

That all said, there's no hiding the obsession with football down here, and it's GLORIOUS!

Oh.. and Gawja fans... Okie Lite, in the past week or so.. has lost their starting middle linebacker and starting tight end... apparently, one of their starting defensive backs is out too.

I read about the injuries earlier. That kick returner they love so much got arrested too, but rumor is he'll play. After what Georgia went through with injuries last season I'm sympathetic to how much it sucks to lose starters, and I don't wish injuries on any team, but if they had to get hurt...

The best news out of this game so far has to be Gundy's fear that a pregame handshake will result in his boys getting beat down before the game even starts.

Oh, and it's Jawja. We use two "Js" in the phonetic spelling.
teacha.gif
laugh.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Let's put it this way.. for aggy to EVEN the series with Texas... they would have to win every game starting this year. .and ending in ..... 2047 !! YIKES!

yeah, yeah, count on a t-sipper to coast on their past glories and all that.

And - that 2047 number you quoted is meaningless to me. I didn't take the elective where we counted that high.

(right about now I'm wishing there was an irony smiley. ah well).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads