• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Based on these pics, what inseam do you think I am?

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pleas, don't react badly to subpar snark. It will not get you a suitable answer.

Also, apparently your inseam size in pants is variable. Thus it is for most of us. Get something close to your size; wash it a couple of times in the usual way; go to tailor; take it from there.

TyroneFig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
Pleas, don't react badly to subpar snark. It will not get you a suitable answer.

Also, apparently your inseam size in pants is variable. Thus it is for most of us. Get something close to your size; wash it a couple of times in the usual way; go to tailor; take it from there.

Not reacting badly, just more or less thinking that's just what people are doing on this forum and not here to talk about clothes like actual discussion etc.

I'm starting to think that there different lengths for different pants. Jeans look good longer and stacked a little, sometimes a lot. Khakis maybe it doesn't matter either? Like you don't need a perfect break? Dress pants well tailored with a single break etc..

modern_leifeng

Reaction score
It looks like the one with the jeans fits the best, but there aren't really any hard and fast rules, especially when it comes to how high you want to wear your pants. This stuff is all personal preference and what you think looks good, go to a store, try on a few pair of pants, and you'll know. Or the next time you go in for alterations, ask the tailor to measure you.

Anyways, I won't mention standing on the toilet, but why would you wear someone else's shoes?

TyroneFig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by modern_leifeng
It looks like the one with the jeans fits the best, but there aren't really any hard and fast rules, especially when it comes to how high you want to wear your pants. This stuff is all personal preference and what you think looks good, go to a store, try on a few pair of pants, and you'll know. Or the next time you go in for alterations, ask the tailor to measure you.

so the khakis with the 29 inseam are definitely too long correct?
Would 28s be just right or still too long?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this thread.

Can anyone show me around?

Thank you.

- B

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_0407.jpg

All right, so where does the toilet-seat cover end and the wall and jeans begin?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyroneFig
Not reacting badly, just more or less thinking that's just what people are doing on this forum and not here to talk about clothes like actual discussion etc.

I'm starting to think that there different lengths for different pants. Jeans look good longer and stacked a little, sometimes a lot. Khakis maybe it doesn't matter either? Like you don't need a perfect break? Dress pants well tailored with a single break etc..

What do honestly expect us to reply to these pictures? If the trousers have too much break, then they need to be shorter, it's hardly rocket-science. The difference in break between the trousers could be caused by several things. For example the jeans might have a shorter rise than the Dockers, which will mean the overall length will be shorter even with the same in-seam. You may also be wearing the waist at a different level which we can't tell from the pictures.

Take note of where on your waist/hips you're wearing each pair and try measuring the out-seam as well as the in-seam to get an idea how long the trousers are from the waist. You really shouldn't need people on the internet to tell you this.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRogers
IMG_0407.jpg

All right, so where does the toilet-seat cover end and the wall and jeans begin?

Keeping the cap off the can implies an admirable efficiency for those urgent, foul moments.

How do those work, exactly? Do you spray it in the faces of others, like mace?

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS

Honestly, I have a hard time judging the inseam from these pics.

What I would like to see is a toilet-standing position, but with the lid up, and feet on the rim...I think that is is called the Bombardier Position, and normally requires a scope to reliably hit the target.

The Bombardier Position has become unpopular in recent years because of the inevitable splash. But I do think that it could help the evaluation.

- B

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Honestly, I have a hard time judging the inseam from these pics.

What I would like to see is a toilet-standing position, but with the lid up, and feet on the rim...I think that is is called the Bombardier Position, and normally requires a scope to reliably hit the target.

The Bombardier Position has become unpopular in recent years because of the inevitable splash. But I do think that it could help the evaluation.

- B

Comedy gold
rotflmao.gif

David Watts

Reaction score
Burnbulb?

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's get back on track.

I've always been partial to hardwood vs. carpet.

Discuss.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The reason for all the snark is that protocol has been broken. When anyone on SF photographs themselves and a toilet in one shot it is posted in the WAYWRN thread.

There and then is where and when, truth, can be found.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For $10-$15 you can visit an alterations tailor and have her hem your trousers. Tell her "medium break" and act like you know what this means. Take them home and measure the inseam with a cloth tape.

To figure out if you wear all your pants at the same place, wear the same belt on the same hole every day.

Dockers have a high rise, like Levi's 501. A lot of mall denim today has a lower rise than Levi's. If you wear your Dockers at the same place that you wear your Gap jeans, it could be that you need an inch less in the Dockers' inseam. Because, you are wearing the Dockers in the full-diaper-butt style.

The math might be like this. Outseam for two pants that fit the same = 38. Inseam on the Dockers = 27. Inseam on the Gap jeans = 28.

Also note that your pants can look different with different shoes. The alterations tailor is going to measure up from the floor, chalk them at the 12 inch mark, and then hem them so that mark is 11 inches from the hem. Or something like that. So if you had them hemmed with a one-inch dress heel and then put half-inch lifts in your shoes, then your break will be less as the hem will be half-inch higher. So forth and so on.

Thanks for posting the funny pictures.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads