• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
can we ask for recommendations?

i want something that doesn't look off in an interview, yet can take to school everyday. something small (only need to carry a netbook, a notebook, pencil case, and a 1.5 L water bottle), shoulder straps, handles. price range would be low, mid 3 digits. leather is cool. heavy canvas is also cool.

i thought of the ubiquitous filson 256 briefcase, but i am a special flower and i need special things. can't dress like all the plebians (11) (absolute jk).

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the tags for this thread.
laugh.gif

g-banger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Surfrider
Every time I visit saddlebackleather.com, I get an erection.

Hahahhahahah that made me laugh out loud in my lecture then!

yeah as soon as i saw that site i said, i "NEED" to have a bag from here.

Sharp Pointy Stick

Reaction score
I am looking for a simple clean lined briefcase, similar to the Calvin Klein Collection briefcase ($1,450) shown below but at a $400 or less price point;

0909-gray-accessories-633x450_1.jpg

Any recommendations?

pdsf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
can we ask for recommendations?

i want something that doesn't look off in an interview, yet can take to school everyday. something small (only need to carry a netbook, a notebook, pencil case, and a 1.5 L water bottle), shoulder straps, handles. price range would be low, mid 3 digits. leather is cool. heavy canvas is also cool.

i thought of the ubiquitous filson 256 briefcase, but i am a special flower and i need special things. can't dress like all the plebians (11) (absolute jk).

Mid 3 digits? Someone is selling the Filson leather Satchel for slightly >$500 in the b&s section. Check it out! A great deal....

pdsf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sharp Pointy Stick
I am looking for a simple clean lined briefcase, similar to the Calvin Klein Collection briefcase ($1,450) shown below but at a $400 or less price point; [/IMG] Any recommendations?
ebay has some good deals recently. Also check Yoox.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
Buy my Filson x Apolis briefcase
biggrin.gif

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to get another casual messenger bag that is quite small. Would only need to hold a few things, probably just a text book, a phone and maybe some money. I was thinking about getting a prada nylon one or a ferregamo blue leather one. I know the quality of prada nylon is very good, but I don't know much about ferregamo leather. I am open to other suggestions.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
No offense, but I just don't get it. It looks way too heavy to carry around.

How lightweight does it need to be? How weak are your shoulders? I man's bag should have some heft. Unless you are ninja goth. In which case, you'd better actually be a ninja.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
I want to get another casual messenger bag that is quite small. Would only need to hold a few things, probably just a text book, a phone and maybe some money. I was thinking about getting a prada nylon one or a ferregamo blue leather one. I know the quality of prada nylon is very good, but I don't know much about ferregamo leather. I am open to other suggestions.

A true manpurse, I see. The Ferragamo blue leather will look nicer, but the leather will scuff. I like my clothes to look lived in and banged up, so that wouldn't bother me, but that's not really the Ferragamo feel. I'd say that the Prada would be a better option if you want it to keep looking "clean".

A Varvatos bap case, or, if you can find, a Prada one from a few years back, would be a good option as well.

m7ia

Reaction score
I really like Saddleback Leather's laptop case in Chestnut (link); however, due to religious reasons, cannot use anything with pigskin in it, and this case has pigskin lining. Would it be possible to get it with a suede lining instead? Or, does anyone know of any similar bags at this price point that use any other type of leather for the lining? Thanks!

aoluffy

Reaction score
Hey, could someone reccomend me a nice, stylish duffel bag for gym and carrying around a few books?

Price range - 0-200$ (preferably around 200). I'm in the UK if there are any good UK stores here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads