• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beards in a professional setting

lachlanf

Reaction score
Hey guys, first time post, so first off I guess, how's it going?
biggrin.gif

My issue is that I've recently been offered Summer work at one of the big 4 auditing firms, which will no doubt lead into a graduate offer if I'm even marginally impressive. I've managed to land the job sporting my rather patchy (but well trimmed) beard, but I'm wondering how people feel a beard might affect me in the long term?

I'm well aware of the adage that people don't trust men with beards, and since i'm going into a consulting role I wonder if my superiors might worry about this with regards to client interactions? I'd probably shave it very happily... but my girlfriend is not going to be so easy going about it haha

I've noticed the newest zegna ads in Australia showing models (albeit in an apparently Indian locale) with some rather patchy and unimpressive beards (not unlike mine haha), and I'm wondering if you think they look suitably business like?

http://ss.zegna.com/media/ez/catalogue/EZ_catalogue.pdf
(specifically page 7 and 9)

Attached are some pictures of me, sporting some business attire

5569_116896185948_505230948_2469289_5083732_n.jpg
(note the dirty fixy is not mine haha)

5569_116898970948_505230948_2469320_3312438_n.jpg
(with added bikes that are mine)

5809_119423860948_505230948_2500943_2285887_n.jpg
(artsy B+W shot taken before I got the barber to neaten me up, essentially uncontrolled growth)

So guys, does the beard work for me, or can it with some work? And also, I believe I will grow my hair out (or shave it a fair bit shorter) for this job... any pro tips on what would suit me? I've always looked alright with a side part, but I'm thinking of something new....

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I'd say if you keep your beard trimmed and neat you'll be fine.

Considering its much easier to shave it off if you get comments than to regrow it if you don't I'd say start with the beard and see how it goes.

In my experience as an auditor, you are judged much more highly on the quality and accuracy of your work. As long as you are wearing conservative business attire, a beard shouldn't be an issue.

lachlanf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by countcount
Will you be doing auditing or consulting? What city?

IT consulting, in melbourne. It's probably not as strictly a professional role as auditing, but it's also more interpersonal and requires more 'selling.'

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lachlanf
IT consulting, in melbourne. It's probably not as strictly a professional role as auditing, but it's also more interpersonal and requires more 'selling.'
Keep it neat and trimmed and you should be fine IMO.

lachlanf

Reaction score
on a more technical note, the sides of my beard, particularly the areas directly below my cheekbones, are a fair bit thinner and patchier than my chin (which is very thick)... My barbers solution to this when I got him to tidy me up was to do these bits longer, 3.5 vs 3 with the clippers... was this a good approach? It did make them look fuller, but also a fair bit more unruly. Would I be better to cut them significantly shorter?

Also, I've been thinking of going shorter, what would you say is the shortest you can go while maintaining the look of a 'beard' rather than 'long stubble'? 2?

rjacobs

Reaction score
i think you'd look better without the beard, regardless of your job. also i love how the west coast shaving affilliate link hovers above as i view this thread

Kris

Reaction score
What are you trying to hide behind that beard? Shave it off today.

sbbbjm

Reaction score
keep it, but trim it, and shape it - in an attempt to make it a little more, neat and 'deliberate' VS scruffy and lackadaisical about grooming.

i would shave the neck and make a nice square line on the jawline and chin, and then shape the upper cheek part.

eqpablon

Reaction score
I say keep it, if you are participating in one of those fishing reality shows like Swords on the Line. Come to think of it, the Gordons fisherman looks pretty dashing with his beard. Do you have a yellow poncho to wear?

I keed, I keed :p

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
id go conservative and shave that ****. You fighting for a job, you dont want any distractions.

And forget what your girlfriend thinks, you wuss. Your probably gonna be feeding her and taking her out, so she should support you. OR just dump her and make your life easier.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been working in corporate America for my entire career, and I can count on one hand the number of beards that I've seen (including colleagues, clients, etc.).

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Keep it neat and well trimmed so it looks deliberate rather than the by-product of a lot of partying and wild times after work and you'll be fine.

stylo 9000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sbbbjm
keep it, but trim it, and shape it - in an attempt to make it a little more, neat and 'deliberate' VS scruffy and lackadaisical about grooming.

i would shave the neck and make a nice square line on the jawline and chin, and then shape the upper cheek part.

+1. OP looks pretty trustworthy though, if that helps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads