• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Opera thread

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Opera lovers unite here on SF!

Making the pilgrimage to the Met in April for Fidelio and Don Pasquale, the latter with the lovely Anna Netrebko. http://www.universal-music.co.jp/cla...etrebko01a.jpg

It will be my first Met opera since its touring days of the early 1980s, when I heard several performances in the Midwest (including Milnes in Boccanegra).

Not my favorite two operas, but I'm hoping to add Traviata when I get to NYC. I've seen a video of Netrebko in some minimalist set performing E Strano, which was stunning; not sure if that's what's being staged in NYC.

I'm anxious to see how the Met stacks up against Chicago Lyric, which I'm more familiar with.

Please share your opera thoughts, on-stage or in-home listening.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Met's La Traviata is a Franco Zeffirelli production, it's a complete opposite of minimalist. It's huge, extravagant. The ball scene in 2nd act will knock your socks off, you gotta see it to believe it. I am a sucker for FZ productions.

Uncletoad

Reaction score
I'm envious. Our Opera company is going down in flames. They scheduled Madama Butterfly for two weekends this month and are now truncated down to a single Friday night performance and the following Sunday matinee. I have tickets but I suspect it will be the last opera performance in central Ohio. Not to many opera fans here obviously.

My grandmother lived in Brooklyn from 1908 to 1981. She regularly went to the met and had tons of stories about it. She listened to the Sunday afternoon radio broadcast from there when she moved here to be with the family. My affection for opera came from her passion for it.

Tell us all about it after you go.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love opera, although the only one I've seen to date has been Carmen. I plan on seeing Aida in June and I have tickets to go see Pavarotti as well. Does anyone else have tickets for his farewell concerts? I'd be interested to see the program but it's not posted on his website.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncletoad
I'm envious. Our Opera company is going down in flames. They scheduled Madama Butterfly for two weekends this month and are now truncated down to a single Friday night performance and the following Sunday matinee. I have tickets but I suspect it will be the last opera performance in central Ohio. Not to many opera fans here obviously.

My grandmother lived in Brooklyn from 1908 to 1981. She regularly went to the met and had tons of stories about it. She listened to the Sunday afternoon radio broadcast from there when she moved here to be with the family. My affection for opera came from her passion for it.

Tell us all about it after you go.

That's a shame. I imagine there's some student opera at The OSU and Hiedelburg College, yes?

Uncletoad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
That's a shame. I imagine there's some student opera at The OSU and Hiedelburg College, yes?
OSU's student stuff is an interesting idea. I'll have to look into that. Heidelburg is about 100 miles away and about the same distance as Cincinnati where they have an excellent opera company. I imagine I'll spend some time there.

Handlethevibe

Reaction score
I'm going to see some opera at the met in april too. What are you supposed to wear?

Handlethevibe

Reaction score
Really? Cause my sisters friend in college used to go to the met like every other week and he said you really didn't have to dress up that much. BTW, I'm 15...

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh you don't have to. I see people dressed in a shirt and jeans. But you are supposed to.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
Oh you don't have to. I see people dressed in a shirt and jeans. But you are supposed to.

I don't expect people to wear a tuxedo anymore, but it would be really nice if people made a little bit of an effort. It's a sad reflection of the times when people wear jeans to the opera.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The worst I've ever seen, albeit to the symphony orchestra and not opera, was tattered jeans, birkenstocks, and a tee - on a middle-aged man.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are lucky. Colorado has a very nice opera company, and Denver just built a beautiful new opera house. My wife and I are long time season ticket holders.

This year's operas were Carmen and Norma, with The Abduction from the Seraglio coming up.

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reviving this instead of starting a new thread. Hopefully there are enough opera-lovers on SF to make this a somewhat lively discussion!

Now that I'm settled in Chicago, I've subscribed to the Lyric for the upcoming season. They have a great season, although no Germans this year, which is fine by me, since I'm a bigger fan of the Italians anyhow.

I'm seeing Tosca opening night with Deborah Voigt and James Morris (won a "new subscriber contest," got free tickets!) and again (regular subscription) with the second cast in January (Violeta Urmana, Lucio Gallo, Marco Berti). Has anyone seen Voigt sing Tosca since her weight loss? Curious to hear people's opinions of her singing.

Also very excited for Piotr Beczala in Faust and Sondra Radvanovsky in Ernani.

Any exciting opera plans out there for the upcoming season?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Marriage of Figaro with Bryn Terfel at the Met was outstanding last season.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads