• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

miles davis you f***s

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Maybe I am a marsupial but I don't find Kind of Blue to be all that great. I never intentionally put it on.

eh.gif
facepalm.gif

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Maybe I am a marsupial but I don't find Kind of Blue to be all that great. I never intentionally put it on.

It was the first jazz record I ever heard and I was left really unimpressed. Ironically, "so what" was my least favorite track. I can appreciate it now, but I view it as the Beethoven's 9th of jazz.

Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
It is not odd. I understand where he is coming from. Perhaps 10% of all Jazz music are truly enjoyable the rest is quite mediocre and self-indulgent.

FALSE.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

I love the Miles/Coltrane quintet of the 50's. Miles playing the head and Coltrane ripping the changes was always a win. Coltrane when on and changed his style, but I still have a special place for his early solo stuff.

This is the title track from "Round Midnight".

Perfect from beginning to end. The drum roll and Coltrane's entrance is one of my favorite moments in jazz.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Only Monk's versions comes even close for its rawness.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
It is not odd. I understand where he is coming from. Perhaps 10% of all Jazz music are truly enjoyable the rest is quite mediocre and self-indulgent.

No his post was about your odd post about liking Chet and not Miles.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano

I love the Miles/Coltrane quintet of the 50's. Miles playing the head and Coltrane ripping the changes was always a win. Coltrane when on and changed his style, but I still have a special place for his early solo stuff.

This is the title track from "Round Midnight".

Perfect from beginning to end. The drum roll and Coltrane's entrance is one of my favorite moments in jazz.

Only Monk's versions comes even close for its rawness.

I like Monk's even better, but I am a Monk fan boy.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Kind of Blue was my first jazz album, but it didn't do it for me on first listen. It took My Favorite Things and Time Out to "get it."

Valence

Reaction score
I would be curious as to why Kind of Blue doesn't "do it" for certain people. What specific elements of the record are disliked?

It's a brilliant conceptual thing, above the obviously high level of playing exhibited. I can't really understand why a jazz aficionado would have cause to dislike it.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Valence
I would be curious as to why Kind of Blue doesn't "do it" for certain people. What specific elements of the record are disliked?

It's a brilliant conceptual thing, above the obviously high level of playing exhibited. I can't really understand why a jazz aficionado would have cause to dislike it.

I don't dislike it. It a great great album. It just doesn't bond with me as well as some other recordings. The fact that many times it's a person's first jazz record does not help either. People might think, "it's slow and not too obviously complex so it should be simple enough for a beginner" but they are dead wrong.

Vito

Reaction score
I like Miles Davis but there's quite a few trumpet players I listen to much more often. Freddie Hubbard, Kenny Dorham, Dizzy, Lee Morgan, and Chet Baker all spend more time in my CD player than Miles does.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vito
I like Miles Davis but there's quite a few trumpet players I listen to much more often. Freddie Hubbard, Kenny Dorham, Dizzy, Lee Morgan, and Chet Baker all spend more time in my CD player than Miles does.

You should add Clifford Brown, Booker little and Woody Shaw.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Huge Miles fan here; prefer the bop but even like his funk period. A great trumpet player and real visionary. Get the Kind of Blue 50th anniversary set. Also look for the chronically underrated "Miles Smiles" album. I like Chet too but he can't hold Miles jock strap.
+1,000. There's an out-of-print Columbia recording of Miles playing with Kenny Clark, Barney Spieler (a Dutch bassist), James Moody and Tadd Dameron at the 1949 Paris Jazz Festival and it's truly a revelation. First, you hear how much bop trumpet Miles could play (he's much more of a virtuoso than on the sides with Bird; his solo breaks on "Good Bait" rival in their intensity anything Fats Navarro played with Dameron). Second, you hear Miles' voice as a young man introducing the tunes - very sweet and modest and unlike the famous croak of his later years.

Vito

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
You should add Clifford Brown, Booker little and Woody Shaw.
I have Woody Shaw on Larry Young's "Unity", and Booker Little on a Frank Strozier album. I don't own any recordings with Clifford Brown, although I'm aware of his great reputation.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vito
I have Woody Shaw on Larry Young's "Unity", and Booker Little on a Frank Strozier album. I don't own any recordings with Clifford Brown, although I'm aware of his great reputation.

Try Brown and Roach Incorporated and Sonny Rollins Plus Four, both recorded by the Clifford Brown - Max Roach Quintet, except that Harold Land plays tenor on the first LP and Sonny on the second.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics