• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kitchen Knives

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
can anybody chime in for tojiro? i've been wanting a good value chef's knife or a santoku

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
can anybody chime in for tojiro? i've been wanting a good value chef's knife or a santoku

I've heard positive things about Tojiro, but I opted for Togiharo which (according to the folks at Korin) has a larger handle and better fit & finish, for nearly the same price.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started with a Togiharo. Great knife for the $.

Kd88

Reaction score
Shun Classics are the way to go. The Ken Onion and Kaji line are overpriced.

If anyone lives in the Sacramento area I get a pretty big discount on knives, just pm me.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Just spent about 30 minutes cutting stuff up for dinner with my new south paw Shun santoku. Wonderful knife, I'm probably going to go back to the store to get the chef's knife now too.
Plz get a couple good stones and a ceramic honing steel if you've already got a good Japanese blade. Nothing will **** up your beautiful edge more than a ****** metal steel.
Originally Posted by Kd88

If anyone lives in the Sacramento area I get a pretty big discount on knives, just pm me.

The Elite line is better than the Classic, by enough to compensate for the price. Not only aesthetically, but in the quality of the steel and the ability to hold an edge. I agree that the Ken Onion are bad, and gimmicky at that.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
which togiharus do you have?

i've heard a lot about togiharu moly cores, but i've also heard that tojiros are much less maintenance. i try not to be, but i do get a bit lazy sometimes and leave the knife out overnite especially if i'm in a hurry.

maybe i should just get togiharu and be more careful?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Kwilk, how does it work in your restaurant? Does everyone bring their own knives? All their own tools, or just knives? Not even knives?

If knives, do they bring the good stuff, or do they use "beaters"?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Kwilk, how does it work in your restaurant? Does everyone bring their own knives? All their own tools, or just knives? Not even knives?

If knives, do they bring the good stuff, or do they use "beaters"?

Everybody brings their own knives and steels, but nothing else. Sharpening stones and all other tools can be found in the restaurant somewhere.
We all bring our good stuff, and don't you ******* DARE touch someone else's knife without their explicit permission. That's no joke. There is no faster way to become the kitchen ***** than to grab someone's knife without permission.
They all definitely bring some good stuff. My knife is the smalltimer of the kitchen, which honestly blows my ******* mind. I
inlove.gif
it though. It makes me happy to work with.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
What are these people using?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
What are these people using?

Almost solely Japanese steel, usually handmade. Most of them are non-brand names and are handmade to order by a few different Japanese companies. All I know is that if you want a knife, talk to our special knife Chef with the hookups and he'll get you something incredible for a few hundred bucks.

GrillinFool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pscolari
I can't wait till someone buys the two Shuns my fiancee and I registered for - 10 inch chef and 9 in slicer. I keep checking on Williams Sonoma in hopes these are the first items to be bought.

The associate who helped us mentioned you can send back Shun knives to the distributor and they will sharpen them for free, you jsut have to pay for shipping.

Looks like I will just have to wait until next April until our wedding, and in the meantime use our Henckels. We just had these handsharpened at Stoddard's so they are having a bit of a renaissance in our kitchen.

The wife and I registered at WS just for the knives basically. Bed Bath and Beyond carried them but I couldn't play with them. And I like to play with new toys before I buy them. I went to WS to use the three big names and liked the Shuns the best. I got the 7 inch Santoku as an engagement party gift, the 8 inch Chef and the paring knife for wedding gifts and the 6 inch utility and 6 inch tomato (identical knives but one is serated).

I also got the whet stone to sharpen them which I do about twice a year...

Invicta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kd88

Originally Posted by kwilkinson
The Elite line is better than the Classic, by enough to compensate for the price. Not only aesthetically, but in the quality of the steel and the ability to hold an edge. I agree that the Ken Onion are bad, and gimmicky at that.

Personally, having owned the Classics and now owning the Ken Onion line, I vastly prefer the KOs. They hold an edge much longer than the Classics and the blades are aesthetically pleasing to mine eye. While I can't really refute the "gimmiky" portion of your statement, the idea that the knives themselves are "bad" is laughably wrong. Probably because I am an Amature (note the capital "A"), but I find the handle of the Ken Onions much easier on my hands, especially on long jobs, say a 10lb. sack of potatoes. YMMV, but if you can get a deep discount on them (They ARE overpriced
laugh.gif
) I heartily reccomend them.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
which togiharus do you have?

i've heard a lot about togiharu moly cores, but i've also heard that tojiros are much less maintenance. i try not to be, but i do get a bit lazy sometimes and leave the knife out overnite especially if i'm in a hurry.

maybe i should just get togiharu and be more careful?

I have the Togiharu moly and find it quite easy to deal with. Then again, I've made it a point to wash every knife as I finish its task, before I move on to something else.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
(...)

They all definitely bring some good stuff. My knife is the smalltimer of the kitchen, which honestly blows my ******* mind. I
inlove.gif
it though. It makes me happy to work with.

On one level it blows my mind as well. On another level...it still blows my mind. But, knowing what I now know about custom knife-smiths...I'd imagine it worth the expense to get something exactly as you want it - handle, blade width, hardness, bevel, weight, balance, etc.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
OK, I read this whole thread, and like many things on SF I am now not only more confused than when I started, and many questions remain unanswered, but worst of all I feel like **** about what I currently own.
frown.gif
Here's my question - I always thought the Japanese knives were meant to be used differently than Western knives, i.e. Westerners are supposed to cut with a push stroke, and the Japanese knives are designed to cut on the pull - much like western vs. Japanese saw blades, and that the different sharpening angle (~30 degrees on a western vs. ~20 degrees on a *** knife) was designed to accommodate this. Sounds like that may be a bunch of bunk. Also sounds like I'm not supposed to rock the blade? How else would I mince garlic or parsley or any other herb? I am suffering through with some Wusthofs that have served me well but could really use a sharpening - it's been a few years. I probably kill them when I hone them but it does seem to make a difference - I'm honing by hand and probably not at the perfect angle but it's definitely easier to cut after I've done so. I also can't imagine not having a full bolster, as I've become accustomed to using my thumb and forefinger to "pinch" the blade just on the business end of the bolster, and that really seems to help with precision and balance. Am I just an idiot? All you Michelin guys would likely think I'm a philistine if you saw my Julienne. I can see how less belly would be much better for slicing an onion, or julienne for example, or certainly for skinning a fish (impossible with my knife). I apparently suck
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads