• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What universities / colleges you attend or attended

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But, I think that right now, there is too much of an emphasis that everybody needs to go to college. I don't see why the fact that Troy didn't go to college would somehow hurt his career. I was trying to raise the point why today's college degree is now the equivalent of a high school degree 40 years ago.

I agree with you.  A good education should prepare graduates for life - to have a finer appreciation and understanding of art, the humanities, and science.  The fact is that while a college educated person is statistically more likely to make more money over his/her career than someone without a college education, it is mistake to conclude the value of a college education *should* be measured in terms how well it prepares a graduate for the business world.  That is the mandate of a business school or a training school.  In that regard, you may be correct about Troy and Kwame from the Apprentice, although if I were Donald Trump, I too would have been concerned whether Troy had the wherewithal to learn to operate in a more conventional corporate establishment, while Kwame could obviously do so.  

LAGuy: I might not have gone to Caltech, but I did go to college, so please don't call me ignorant.

I did not mean to call anyone ignorant, (and there are plenty of non-college graduates who are very intelligent and insightful); but I think that misunderstanding the purpose of education is.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BM-Curtis Institute MM-Jailyard DMA (hopefully 2005)-Jailyard So, I'll have three completely useless degrees.
confused.gif

Given the reputation of those two schools, I'd say they were far from useless. BA from NYU. Â Go Violets.
Useless field, then
confused.gif

jrh

Reaction score
I am a proud graduate of Michigan Technological University.

TheeTRI-RcR

Reaction score
but which expresses my meaning--weltanschauung.  
This is great. You've studied Guy Debord. I'm just wondering have you read any of Marshall McLuhan or Douglas Kellner?
I have just finished, McLuhnan's The Global Village and Kellner's Media Spectacle. If any of ya'll get the chance I suggest both, it might change the way you see the world.

I'm working on an undergrad degree in philosophy with a minor in business. I would agree with whoever said that some business school at least with my experience at the undergrad level are 'brainwashed' or in my opinion view with world with blinders.

I am planning on going to law school, hopefully wake forest or unc-ch.

geterdone"”this is the pre exam week phrase floating between me and the guys I live with.

Later

dave

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Graduated University of Waterloo, Honours Computer Science.
One of the best comp-sci school in the world.

alaaro

Reaction score
I went to The College of William and Mary for undergrad, and to The George Washington University for business school. I graduate in May. And have no job yet. Anyone got one for me?

gregory

Reaction score
But, I think that right now, there is too much of an emphasis that everybody needs to go to college. ... Today's colleges have become too isolated from the real world. They need to do more to prepare their graduates for post college reality where they need to find a job.
A college education is key.

Once a society has reached a certain level of development, the primary purpose of college education is not to churn out typists or computer operators or engineers. Good colleges groom men and women for  rich, fulfilling and cultured lives--hence the emphasis on foreign languages, foreign movies, study abroad programs and what not in the elite educational institutions of our time.

Among the upper classes, one will find individuals who regard an engineering, computer science, business or any other practical degree with disdain. English, art history, and history are prefered.

To give an example, one who studied nothing but engineering in college may land himself on a job. But when he advances to the upper levels of his company and his community, he will find that he cannot discuss politics, philosophy, art and music with any amount of intelligence. He will, in other words, be outclassed. It is a pitiful feeling to be outclassed, because it dawns upon one that merit in one's field is not sufficient to be accepted.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Among the upper classes, one will find individuals who regard an engineering, computer science, business or any other practical degree with disdain. English, art history, and history are prefered.

To give an example, one who studied nothing but engineering in college may land himself on a job.

There are plenty of upper class twits.  Usually, they differ only in outlook and not in level of ignorance from their lower class counterparts.  

It's not what you study, but the way you approach your studies and the ultimate purpose you see for your education.  If you study philosophy not because you want to learn philosphy but because you think that you need a college education in order to land a job, you're missing the point.  If you study engineering because you are genuinely interested in engineering, than you are getting a good education.

But when he advances to the upper levels of his company and his community, he will find that he cannot discuss politics, philosophy, art and music with any amount of intelligence. He will, in other words, be outclassed. It is a pitiful feeling to be outclassed, because it dawns upon one that merit in one's field is not sufficient to be accepted.

People who have real class, real confidence, are proud of their achievements, conscious of their shortcomings, and comfortable with both.  They neither need to belittle the limitations of others nor hide their own.

Cool.  Is he a professor?  What's last name?

Yes.  Last name is Leung - a good guy, but don't be looking to the man for any style/fashion points.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Undergrad Babson (currently). Loomis Chaffee is no more than 15 minutes away from me CTGuy.What area in CT did you grow up in?
I am from Suffield. Â You?
I am from the West End of Hartford.

gregory

Reaction score
People who have real class, real confidence, are proud of their achievements, conscious of their shortcomings, and comfortable with both.  They neither need to belittle the limitations of others nor hide their own.

I'm trying to counterbalance the viewpoint that college should be all practical.

I feel that not being able to speak intelligently about politics, current affairs, history, art, etc is looked down upon universally, not only among those from the upper classes.

To some extent, this is all very high school: The nerds versus the well-rounded, articulate, beautiful students.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote Quote Undergrad Babson (currently). Loomis Chaffee is no more than 15 minutes away from me CTGuy.What area in CT did you grow up in?
I am from Suffield. Â You?
I am from the West End of Hartford.[/quote] oh really? West Hartford, or west end? Lovely neighborhood. Â I used to work as a P.R. person for the Jewish Federation- right near that area. Â Lovely as far as Harford goes.[/quote] I'm on the Hartford Side, the East side of the park. West end has the best houses in Connecticut (Well aside from some of the older estates in Greenwich) .Not super large but nice and usually has some history. I'm sort of familiar with the Jewish federation mostly only in name though. Do you plan on moving back to CT when you graduate?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Now that this thread has slowed down, it's moving to General.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Now that this thread has slowed down, it's moving to General.
General Chat: a peaceful retirement community.
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads