• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shorty Long
Yeah...Rivendell look like nice bikes, but I couldn't afford a lugged frame the way I wanted it (Stainless steel lugs and all), so I went with a welded custom frame. What model Rivendell did you get?
E Homer Hilson
richAHH55whole.jpg
Not mine, but I have the same model

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a recommendation for a good front light for my commute? I'd prefer battery powered and easily removable. Something lightweight too.

I'm not sure how much I need it for my own sight, rather than visibility by others.

b

Shiny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Anyone have a recommendation for a good front light for my commute? I'd prefer battery powered and easily removable. Something lightweight too.

I'm not sure how much I need it for my own sight, rather than visibility by others.

b

If you don't need it to light up your way, get a planet bike blinkie light. They're the best. Put one in your handlebars and in the rear of your bike.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shiny
If you don't need it to light up your way, get a planet bike blinkie light. They're the best. Put one in your handlebars and in the rear of your bike.

Oh, that's great. I have a tail light of theirs and it works great. I didn't realize they made headlights too. And they have one that both blinks and has a steady beam. That'll probably do the trick.

b

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got this yesterday, for my wife, at ~$90. Here it is in as-found condition:
DSC08515.jpg
DSC08518-2.jpg
DSC08519.jpg
DSC08522.jpg
DSC08524-2.jpg
Norwegian 1940 model DBS, ("Den Beste Sykkel" - "The Best Bicycle"), dated from the Schweinfurt Torpedo back hub, - these are always dated by year and month. It needs a NOS chain, tyres, front brake wire, grips, a new toolkit pouch or straps for it, and the wife wants one of those wicker baskets for the handlebars. We'll keep the original leather seat for the time being - depending on how comfy it is. If the code lock can be cracked, I'll put it back on. Looks promising. The skirt protector was rotten, so I ripped it out, and the toolkit pouch is dried and rotten, particularly the straps, so I'll have to get some new ones. Luckily I know a guy who has a huge pile of old NOS bike parts. It would have been a perfect prop in this film.

arced

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend me a "trail bike" (if that's a real term)? I've got a rail-trail right next to my house and I'd love to get more use out of it. Any brands or models to recommend? I was thinking a hardtail, as I'm not doing anything too serious.

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Goddamn!

Second accident in 2 months last night -- this one was a hit-and-run. The guy stuck around for a few, but between when the EMTs got me in the ambulance and the cops showed up, he was gone and the witnesses had left.

I was biking north on a big street, going through a green light and the guy, going south, turned left without seeing me and I broadsided him. Hit his passenger side face-first. Ended up with some bad bruising in my chest/arms, nothing serious, but I broke my 3 front teeth. It looks like my health coverage will take care of most everything.

All told, I got pretty damn lucky, I guess. Looks like night-time city riding will be out for quite a while.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adambparker
Goddamn!

Second accident in 2 months last night -- this one was a hit-and-run. The guy stuck around for a few, but between when the EMTs got me in the ambulance and the cops showed up, he was gone and the witnesses had left.

I was biking north on a big street, going through a green light and the guy, going south, turned left without seeing me and I broadsided him. Hit his passenger side face-first. Ended up with some bad bruising in my chest/arms, nothing serious, but I broke my 3 front teeth. It looks like my health coverage will take care of most everything.

All told, I got pretty damn lucky, I guess. Looks like night-time city riding will be out for quite a while.

That sucks man. You should look into getting a bright ass front light. Not only will you be able to see the road better, other drivers will also see you better. Did you get the guy's plate #s?

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bike nerds-

is this 1980's 12 speed bike from peugeot worth $200?
looking for bikes on craigslist. i can call the guy and get the model/serial if needed.

3k13m83l05O55Sd5R298oa6c3153e555d1854.jpg

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bach
bike nerds-

looking for bikes on craigslist. i can call the guy and get the model/serial if needed.

Not an expert, but I usually see those on craigslist for $100-150... Are there any new components on it or anything like that?

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Not an expert, but I usually see those on craigslist for $100-150... Are there any new components on it or anything like that?

"Brand new brake cables / hoods"

dsgNYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
P1010905.jpg
P1010906.jpg

I've always had a soft-spot for these smaller manufacturers. I haven't seen an Independent Fabrications frame in quite a while. I actually purchased a frame back in college and the seller accidentally shipped me an Independent Fabrications frame instead of what I ordered. I sent it back to him, but it definitely was a beautiful frame for the few days it was in my possession.

Speaking of smaller manufacturers, has anyone here every ridden a Spooky? I owned, and sold, a Darkside many years ago and still own a Pitboss. Here's a picture of a Pitboss (not mine, found the pic via Google).

pitboss.gif

sfo423

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
What is a good Bike Forum to look at while I anxiously wait for my bike to arrive?

all the real pussies are at weight weenies dot com.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love it.

Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Got this yesterday, for my wife, at ~$90. Here it is in as-found condition:

DSC08515.jpg

DSC08518-2.jpg

DSC08519.jpg

DSC08522.jpg

DSC08524-2.jpg

Norwegian 1940 model DBS, ("Den Beste Sykkel" - "The Best Bicycle"), dated from the Schweinfurt Torpedo back hub, - these are always dated by year and month.

It needs a NOS chain, tyres, front brake wire, grips, a new toolkit pouch or straps for it, and the wife wants one of those wicker baskets for the handlebars. We'll keep the original leather seat for the time being - depending on how comfy it is. If the code lock can be cracked, I'll put it back on. Looks promising.

The skirt protector was rotten, so I ripped it out, and the toolkit pouch is dried and rotten, particularly the straps, so I'll have to get some new ones. Luckily I know a guy who has a huge pile of old NOS bike parts.

It would have been a perfect prop in this film.

weeks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bach
bike nerds-

Looks like a U-08 to me. I paid $80 for my circa 1975 U-08 but it needed lots of work. I'd go test it our and if it rides good, offer the guy $150.00.

If it's a PX10 buy it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads