• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by potter AB
I would suggest the Blaxland.
It is identical to the Craftsman but has a rubber sole ("non-slip composition") instead. I got my pair last September and it worked very well in all kind of winter weather. On very cold days one should wear thick socks though, since the sole is not thicker than a leather sole, but that means the pair is elegant and can be worn all year round e.g. on rainy summer days too
smile.gif

Thanks much for the rec! This is what I ws thinking with the comfort craftsman. Now that I think about it, isn't the Blaxland the same thing as the comfort craftsman? If not, how do they differ? Thanks again for the info, appreciate the help.

Originally Posted by Ziss
Is that the craftsman in chestnut on the left?

Yes, but they aren't quite that 'dark' in person. Still quite nice, just a little different brown.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Blaxland is the Craftsman with a composition sole. The Comfort Craftman has the composition sole and a "comfort" insole.

Ziss

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrick_b
Yes, but they aren't quite that 'dark' in person. Still quite nice, just a little different brown.

Lovely. I ordered a pair in chestnut just the other day. Can't wait.
smile.gif

wosk

Reaction score
Here in Sweden I cant find any comfort craftsman to try on, are they better than the blaxland? One dealer here tells me that the blaxland is better since the leather insoles molds better to your feet, but I've never had business there before so I'm not sure if I trust him. Since I will be ordering online I can choose either.

Oh: And what is better for taking a beating in the Swedish winter, kangaroo or yearling? Price difference isn't that big so I really want the one that will hold the longest.

Sincerly
Oskar

potter AB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
The Blaxland is the Craftsman with a composition sole. The Comfort Craftman has the composition sole and a "comfort" insole.

True. The Comfort Craftman has a thicker insole, i.e. "padding" inside.

RM Williams sells an inlay sole (3/4) which you can put in the Blaxland and you nearly get the same effect.

I have no experience with the kangaroo, but I can tell you the Blaxland is the most versatile pair of shoes I own. The yearling leather is really tough and withstands rain and snow very well.

jeff w

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before, but are you sizing up from typical craftsman sizing for the comfort craftsman to account for the extra padding.

amce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wosk
Oh: And what is better for taking a beating in the Swedish winter, kangaroo or yearling? Price difference isn't that big so I really want the one that will hold the longest.

Sincerly
Oskar

Don't think any Chelsea boot is made for pulsing through snow drifts in Kiruna or Luleå. I live in the South where road salt is used more liberally and some winters aren't even white. My CC Yearling function perfectly. Of course like any leather footwear they require TLC and more so in winter. But that's part of the obsession.

Cheers

wosk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amce
Don't think any Chelsea boot is made for pulsing through snow drifts in Kiruna or Luleå. I live in the South where road salt is used more liberally and some winters aren't even white. My CC Yearling function perfectly. Of course like any leather footwear they require TLC and more so in winter. But that's part of the obsession.

Cheers

Hehe, well I'm in Lund / Malmö actually so you can't really get more of the slush/no snow/salt weather than here
wink.gif
I see you own quite a few pairs of RMW:s. As the man a few posts up asks, is the sizing for the comfort the same as the Blaxland or the normal Craftsman (since those are the only ones I've been able to try around here). If it's all the same I'll probably go for the comfort since it seems to be the upgrade for the blaxland.

amce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wosk
Hehe, well I'm in Lund / Malmö actually so you can't really get more of the slush/no snow/salt weather than here
wink.gif
I see you own quite a few pairs of RMW:s. As the man a few posts up asks, is the sizing for the comfort the same as the Blaxland or the normal Craftsman (since those are the only ones I've been able to try around here). If it's all the same I'll probably go for the comfort since it seems to be the upgrade for the blaxland.

I have four pairs of CC all size 9.5 H. I've no experience with the Blaxland but I do have a pair of Macquaries with a leather sole and they also lack the heavier Comfort interior. These are 9.5 G and fit me perfectly as well. Not sure if that's the rule: H in the Comforts, G in others that are not of the Comfort variety? Have you been to the cobblers in Södergatan in Malmö? Just up from Stortorget. I've only purchased polish there but he does have a selection (last time I was in there he had a pair in real croc for around €4900:-. They were black so I didn't bite
wink.gif
). Cheers

Smudge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tyson2007
Hi everyone.

I have followed this post for some time and have finally decided on the Kangaroo Craftsman size 9G. I am however having a difficult time deciding on the sole (leather vs rubber). I found the fit of the boot in the leather sole much more comfortable, especially compared to the Comfort Craftsman. I realise that you can get a rubber sole put on just the regular Craftsman and having tried them on in Yearling leather there was a noticeable difference in fit that I again preferred them over the Comfort Craftsman (noticeable difference in width).
I guess my question to everyone is how long, on average, do the leather soles last. Conditions of use would be regular (living in Syd. Aus. there is no concerns over harsh winters). Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Go the leather. I've just had my 3 year old Blaxlands (Craftsman with rubber sole) re-soled with a leather sole back at the RMW factory and much prefer the feel of the boot. If you rotate your shoes / boots the leather sole should last well.

wosk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amce
I have four pairs of CC all size 9.5 H. I've no experience with the Blaxland but I do have a pair of Macquaries with a leather sole and they also lack the heavier Comfort interior. These are 9.5 G and fit me perfectly as well. Not sure if that's the rule: H in the Comforts, G in others that are not of the Comfort variety?

Have you been to the cobblers in Södergatan in Malmö? Just up from Stortorget. I've only purchased polish there but he does have a selection (last time I was in there he had a pair in real croc for around €4900:-. They were black so I didn't bite
wink.gif
).

Cheers

Annoying that I can't find the comforts to try them on, if I can't I'll have to order the Blaxland since I've tried them on atleast (same sizing as normal craftsman). Yes, I've been there, no comforts around
frown.gif
I'll have to see if someone can order them for me to try.

Tyson2007

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smudge
Go the leather. I've just had my 3 year old Blaxlands (Craftsman with rubber sole) re-soled with a leather sole back at the RMW factory and much prefer the feel of the boot. If you rotate your shoes / boots the leather sole should last well.

Thanks Smudge, Did decide to go with the leather largely due to the feel of the boot as you say. Also found the rubber sole adding to the height of the shoe which in my case made it feel less comfortable.

Cheers.

amce

Reaction score
Won't be making it all the way down to Oz anymore this year. Malaysia will be as close as I get. Anyone out there know anything about the availability of and the price situation for RMs in Kuala Lumpur?

Cheers

SpeedBird

Reaction score
Get a order from australia and have then post it to your hotel in Malaysia. Give then plenty of time so it will clear customs and have the package waiting on your arrival. Atleast you can save on postal costs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics