• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding Ties

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
So can anyone suggest sources other than Drake's for wedding ties? I need a couple and would rather order domestically if at all possible.
Dah328, We will have a selection of classic English wedding ties always on hand in the near future. As for a domestic source - we are still an American company with American tie makers although we are currently located in Bangkok. As always our ties are all bespoke. If we have a silk on hand we can make a wedding tie within a few days time. Mailing is 1 to 3 weeks to America depending on the type of mail service used. Registered airmail or post office express mail (EMS). Ralph Lauren purple label ties are very nice. Good silk with pure wool interlinings they would likely be my first choice for a US located wedding tie.

nxt

Reaction score
Really like Drakes' ties, but yes quite heavy silk!

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gutman

Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of grey / silver ties with morning suit, or indeed using a special tie just for weddings. A morning suit is just a suit after all, and it's not a funeral... I'm getting married soon, and will probably wear a pale yellow or blue with a fine pattern. Purple glen-plaid SB collared waistcoat as well (not as loud as it sounds). Groomsmen will be in plain grey waistcoat (black morning coat), and a "quiet" tie of their choosing. No need to wear exactly the same outfits, just similar / complementary will do. But people (including brides) have different ideas about this
laugh.gif

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread, but are these rules for the groom/groomsmen or all guests? The presumption being it is not a black tie affair for the guests but you're in a suit. I have a friends wedding coming up this week and was planning on a charcoal suit, white shirt, and navy tie. The tie I have in mind looks like this but in a dark navy:
4811179medium.jpg
The last wedding I went to was a spring wedding and I wore a lavender tie with white pin dots - but I was trying to spruce up then for the season.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMO, whatever you do, don't go solid... especially silver.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Thats why my tie discussed above is neither solid nor silver. Here's the actual tie:
4069158930_70ecb20202.jpg

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Should one wear a solid suit with a wedding tie? Would navy chalk stripes work?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Should one wear a solid suit with a wedding tie? Would navy chalk stripes work?

Solid is better. Chalkstripes are too businessy for a formal, festive occasion like a wedding.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Solid is better. Chalkstripes are too businessy for a formal, festive occasion like a wedding.

+1, but imo, a PoW can be nice:

Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
The Best Man
DSC_4544.jpg

DSC_4940.jpg

DSC_4943.jpg

DSC_4946.jpg

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manton, is this one considered a proper wedding tie?

I ask as it doesn't seem to be from among the classic patterns you mentioned earlier, but going by the illustration below I guess it could be?

Originally Posted by Manton
weddingym7.jpg

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore a navy small white polka-dot tie from BB with my bespoke 3 piece 3 button navy suit. I like the pictures. If I had found this site, I probably never would have gotten married, as my OCD compulsions would have prevented me from ever deciding what to wear.

Don't fret it too much. It is one day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads