• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Status
Not open for further replies.

sploosh

Reaction score
I'm still looking for a coat . I am 15 so I am bound to outgrow whatever I buy. Would it be possible to get something nicer like a barbour, and have enough fabric on the arms to take sew in and out that it would fit for a while? Also I stopped by gapkids and tried on this jacket: http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...d=1&pid=645509 It fit well other than it being veryyy boxy. Would it be possible to take it to a tailor to get rid of the boxyness. Should I not be considering that jacket?

ahouais

Reaction score
Hey, sorry if this is in the wrong topic, but I was hoping you guys could help me out with sizing on a pair of APCs. I purchased these NC (size 29) at the APC store in LA today, and I was wondering if I should have sized down to a 28. I'd like them to be pretty skinny, and I like how these fit now. Here are a couple of pictures (sorry for bad quality):

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

shaftoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ahouais
Hey, sorry if this is in the wrong topic, but I was hoping you guys could help me out with sizing on a pair of APCs. I purchased these NC (size 29) at the APC store in LA today, and I was wondering if I should have sized down to a 28. I'd like them to be pretty skinny, and I like how these fit now. Here are a couple of pictures (sorry for bad quality):

If you like how they fit now, you won't like how they fit in a month.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shaftoe
If you like how they fit now, you won't like how they fit in a month.

+1 exactly... when you find the size that you like how they fit, then buy 1 size smaller... those look ok, so you'll need at least 1 down.

HelloIDistance

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ahouais

Those look pretty tight in the thighs to me already. Sometimes it's hard to tell in pictures though, but the thigh doesn't stretch out too much. You didn't try on the 28s?

HelloIDistance

Reaction score
Possibly a dumb question, but I've never owned any higher quality moccasins before...I just received my Quoddy brown suede brick sole blucher from South Willard, if these get wet will they be okay? Should I put some kind of protective coating on it or anything?

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Day Man
Thanks for the link, I will keep those in mind. It looks like I am 2/2 on responses telling me to expand my budget. I guess I will need to go higher.

What exactly are you looking for (and what do you not like)? That would help alot.

I know people complain about desert boots being recommended too much.. but a pair of brown beeswax leather desert boots would easily fit in your budget (about $80-90) while fitting the 'doesn't look like something you'd wear at a construction site, but also not too nice/dressy'

As far as durability etc
I have a pair of the BR version (though don't think it exists anymore) that I picked up for ultra cheap ($8) last year and wore pretty much every other day through all of fall and winter and they don't have so much as a single loose thread. Super warm they are not... but as long as you wear some decently warm socks its not an issue...didn't bother me in the Chicago winter.

itsjustadrian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HelloIDistance
Possibly a dumb question, but I've never owned any higher quality moccasins before...I just received my Quoddy brown suede brick sole blucher from South Willard, if these get wet will they be okay? Should I put some kind of protective coating on it or anything?
If they get wet, you'll have to wet the whole shoe and rub them down evenly with a crepe brush. First thing to do is get a suede protector spray. Costs like 5 dollars.

shaftoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HelloIDistance
Those look pretty tight in the thighs to me already. Sometimes it's hard to tell in pictures though, but the thigh doesn't stretch out too much. You didn't try on the 28s?

My APCs stretched about 0.75" in the thighs. Maybe more.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does anyone have the "t-shirt" thread link? i want to see what ppl say in there...

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone help me,

does holding your shoulder up in a good posture sort of way decrease your shoulder to shoulder?

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
alright...

i found a chambray, it is nothing amazing. it is a cotton/poly blend , but it fits better than just about any i have had the luck of stumbling across at a thrift store. i like it for the most part except for two things, both the handiwork of some old woman in iowa i'm sure. anyhow its a rad sears chambray thats been embellished with craft paint.

i had thought of covering it with patches but the embellishment are too large.

so my next thought was trying to remove the paint. is there a way to remove paint that has possibly been dried on the fabric for decades or am i going to have to cover it with more paint or patches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads