• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aigle v.s. Hunter (Wellingtons)

ville_e

Reaction score
Which brand makes the better wellington boot? Aigle (parcours) is hand-made from natural rubber in France. Not sure about Hunter.

Aigle was founded in 1853 and Hunter in 1856. Both have long traditions.

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like my Hunters, but have no experience with Aigle.

gsugsu

Reaction score
My wife is a hunter junkie and has just about everything they make and looking them over they are great boots. I even have my own now for stomping around the farm. They are hand made as well although I am not sure if that applies to all of them.

Pengranger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ville_e
Which brand makes the better wellington boot? Aigle (parcours) is hand-made from natural rubber in France. Not sure about Hunter.

Aigle was founded in 1853 and Hunter in 1856. Both have long traditions.

I believe they are about on a par quality wise - you can't really get much better. Le Chameau will give them a run for their money.

Style may have an influence (even on wellingtons), and the lining can be a factor. The size of your calf muscles will be a big factor on which boots will fit.

modern_leifeng

Reaction score
I'm a big Hunter fan, but either way, you're getting a high quality item.

ville_e

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses..

here is the Aigle Parcour:

30504_norm.jpg

What do you guys think? How are they suited for city use?

here are the Hunter's:

hunter_classic_boots_large.jpg

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never actually worn wellingtons. My wife, daughter and the girls around the barn all wear them for functionality but I know they're not the most comfortable things to walk in. When you say city use, do you mean with tailored clothes? For actual walking, I find Bean boots to be the best. We've always referred to them as duck boots and I've worn them for the last 25 years. http://cdni.llbean.com/is/image/wim/...id=330&hei=295

modern_leifeng

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ville_e
Thanks for your responses..

here is the Aigle Parcour:

30504_norm.jpg

What do you guys think? How are they suited for city use?

here are the Hunter's:

hunter_classic_boots_large.jpg

I personally don't think either are suited for city use at all (unless you work in a butcher shop or as a fishmonger). You might be able to wear them with a casual look on a very rainy day if you're running out to the store to pick something up, but that's about it. These are definitely countryside/farm wear and are great for that and only that.

I'd love to see if those on sf have attempted wellies in the city, but I doubt you'll find anyone who does it. Girls can pull it off from time to time, but I think guys just look silly.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by modern_leifeng
I'd love to see if those on sf have attempted wellies in the city, but I doubt you'll find anyone who does it. Girls can pull it off from time to time, but I think guys just look silly.
- FUK I'm silly..
eh.gif
& it was raining yesterday morning.. Proof is in the post http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...ostcount=56913
- FWIW I have orthotics in mine for comfort

Navy classic Hunters
P8293155.jpg

modern_leifeng

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
- FUK I'm silly..
eh.gif
& it was raining yesterday morning.. Proof is in the post http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...ostcount=56913
- FWIW I have orthotics in mine for comfort

Navy classic Hunters
P8293155.jpg

worship.gif

I was just going through the WAYWT when I saw your pics and knew I'd screwed up, hehe. Great look, but yeah, it has to be a lot of rain to make it worth the effort. Seeing yours, I'm kicking myself that the newest ones I bought (also navy) are only the short version.

maikuraki

Reaction score
IMO,guys who wear wellies in the city are not that silly.i found this picture online the other day.
2940752798_3cf0f7e048_o.jpg

butterflystyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by maikuraki
IMO,guys who wear wellies in the city are not that silly.i found this picture online the other day.

The WORST thing is, that you are probably serious...
ffffuuuu.gif

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maikuraki

case in point.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aigle parcours are considerably better quality than the bottom tier Hunters. I have owned both, and I have used them for more than just occasional walk in the city rain. My sister still uses a pair of hunters and they are knackered after not much more than a year.

If you want a nice pretty colour or the brand name get the Hunters, if you want a serious Wellington boot get the Aigles. My current pair is probably the most comfortable footwear I own, have copped with some semi-serious hiking and still look as good as new after several years.
The higher tier models might be better but the basic hunters are crap, barely better than the sort of cheapo wellies you could pick up for nothing in any cheap shoe shop.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads