• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RULES for the tall and skinny man

SuperSaiyan3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by obiter dictum
Shame. You should donate it to your friend, better than it dusting away no?

I was thinking of selling it to my friend, but my mom advised that it's good for a guy to have a leather jacket in his life.

So I decided to a good little boy and follow her advice.

We shall see... I'm 19 years old now. Maybe I've still got room to grow both vertically and horizontally?

Twisty

Reaction score
Getting back on track...do you think we could have a running list of designer/brands that cater to us? Perhaps even add a page to the stylewiki - similar to the slim fit shirt page: http://styleforum.pbworks.com/Slim-fit+Shirts I took a crack, will add/edit as we go along. Suits -Armani Collezioni (some suits have no vents though) -Aquascutum (Ltd. Line) -Ben Sherman (though chest may be poofy) -Brooks Brothers 1818 Fitzgerald -Brooks Brothers Black Fleece (Runs on the shorter side, make sure to check measurements) -Burberry (Slim Fit Suit, Black Label, Prorsum) -Dior Homme (Hedi era, reports of A/W 09 slim as well) -Dolce & Gabbana (Martini line) -H&M (be careful, pants run a little tighter/smaller) -Hilton -Hugo Boss (Red Label) -J.Crew (Ludlow suit - Loro Piana fabric, Half-canvassed) -Jil Sander -John Varvatos (somewhat high button) -Gucci -Marc by Marc Jacobs -Marks & Spencer -Neil Barrett (also Black by Neil Barrett) -Paul Smith (London Byard, Travel Byard, Mainline suits) -Prada -Raf Simons -Ralph Lauren Black Label (Anthony) -Theory -Thom Browne (Runs on the shorter side, make sure to check measurements) -Valentino (can't remember name...) -Yves Saint Lauren (the Tom Ford era cuts still exist!) -Zara (be careful of chest puffing) MTM Suits -Indochino -Steven Aver -Thick as Thieves NOTE: No experience in ordering, from other SF members. Shirts -Band of Outsiders -Ben Sherman -Burberry (Made in Turkey slim fit) -Duncan Quinn -Dunhill -Eton (Slim Fit line, may need darts) -Gucci (Pre-Darted Gucci mainline) -Hackett (Slim fitting shirts, line name unknown) -H&M (darts recommended) -Hickey (darts recommended) -Hugo Boss (Slim Fit - come in S,M,L,XL) -John Varvatos -Kent Wang & Thick as Thieves (limited time collaboration) -Marc by Marc Jacobs -Marks & Spencer -Paul Smith (PS, and London) -Prada (Pre-Darted Prada mainline) -Ralph Lauren Black Label -Ted Baker -Theory -Thom Browne -Thomas Pink (Slim Fits, though sleeves tended to be shorter) -Uniqlo (not as accessible) -Versace (darts recommended) -Zara (only comes in S,M,L,XL) MTM Shirts -VMClothiers.com Outerwear / Jackets -Burberry (Raincoats, Prorsum, most Peacoats) -Dunhill -Pringle (Knitwear, Outerwear, Rainwear)

vezatron

Reaction score
Where do I order a pair of brown slim fit pants suitable for wear with sport coat? Olive would be nice too. Lands End is the closest I've come to finding them. 6'0 155 lbs.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm @ 5'11 and 155 lbs! used to be 115-120 lbs.
biggrin.gif
Custom is the way to go.

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vezatron
Where do I order a pair of brown slim fit pants suitable for wear with sport coat? Olive would be nice too. Lands End is the closest I've come to finding them. 6'0 155 lbs.
Incotex on B&S. Yes.. group think.. but they are the slimmest trousers I have found so far. Check the measurements before you buy.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For shirts Hackett makes some very slim fit ones, I can't remember what the name of the fit is though. Also dunhill outerwear fits pretty slim. For polos I actually wear ralph lauren boys large 16/18. I'm 6'2" and the length looks much better then mens small ones, which fall far past the waist line.

Twisty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
For shirts Hackett makes some very slim fit ones, I can't remember what the name of the fit is though. Also dunhill outerwear fits pretty slim. For polos I actually wear ralph lauren boys large 16/18. I'm 6'2" and the length looks much better then mens small ones, which fall far past the waist line.

List updated, plus added an Outerwear / Jackets section.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should also add pringle for knitwear and outerwear. For a really slim fit with knitwear like the black label adds there small fits really well, also there rainwear is cut very slim.

Sebastian_Flyte

Reaction score
You can't really tell from this stock photo, but this Spiewak Meade Field Jacket in M is my go-to winter jacket (I've bought it twice). Long in body, long and slimmish in arms:
S465BIG.jpg
+1 for freakin Burberry! I just got a medium Burberry sweater that's 19'' Pit to Pit (compare with 21''-22'' for Banana Republic and 22'' for J Crew medium), with long sleeves (like 27''!) and good length. Who knew? J. Crew - personally I've found that **not a single piece of clothing in their entire store** is meant for the tall skinny man. Chests are all on the large (i.e. American) range and sleeves relatively short. The legs in trousers and shorts are wide. Not a single thing fit me there. Zara: surprisingly, I also find that nothing here fits, either. Surprising because it's a European company. The clothes are slimmish, but not particularly long/tall. Maybe cause it's a Spanish company and that's the Spanish physique? Re: Incotex - the majority of the pairs I see sold on B&S are cotton, which I've already argued is playing with fire (unless you wanna go all Sartorialist blog and wear them rolled up). How can you tell which ones are slim cut (besides the measurements)? Nice Collective - very slim. The shorts work well on me. Not sure about the rest of their clothes.

obiter dictum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sebastian_Flyte
J. Crew - personally I've found that **not a single piece of clothing in their entire store** is meant for the tall skinny man. Chests are all on the large (i.e. American) range and sleeves relatively short. The legs in trousers and shorts are wide. Not a single thing fit me there.
Not even their "tall medium"s?

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6'2" and 145
interesting stuff. What are thoughts on shorts. I suppose the tapered look to just above the knee is more flattering than the large-poceted cargos.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads