• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do your friends dress

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bruce "Almighty" Boyer
"It's better to have one good pair of shoes than a half dozen cheap ones, because the cheap ones look cheap even when they're new, but the new ones look good even when they're old. Quality by definition is the best you can get for your money. If you buy a pair of shoes for $500 and they last you 10 years, that's $50 per year. If you buy a pair for $100 and they last you six months, which was the more expensive? I think the Old Money WASP guys were just cheap, so they always bought the best".

Yup

Originally Posted by mkarim
Exactly. If you buy a $500 pair of shoes that last you 10 years, that's $50 a year to wear a great pair of shoes year in and year out. Alternatively, you could spend the same amount (or more) every year on crappy shoes and wear a crappy pair of shoes year in and year out.

Kill_switch

Reaction score
I have two friends in my English class that both wear raw denim and one is going to NYC for Atelier in two weeks to get a pair of CCP boots.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
90% of the people I know dress in a boring way or like crap.

It isn't entirely their fault. Most people dress like crap because they don't know how not to dress like crap. With past generations, your dad or grandfather would teach you to dress like you had some sense. That broke down in the 60's or 70's, it seems.

Now we have the internet, which can help you or send your style into the ditch.

One guy at my office had a Filson 256. I said "nice bag." He said he "read about it on h(r)collective, heard of it?" So the innernetz is teaching some people about quality brands they would not have heard of otherwise. I did not ask him if he knew of SF . . . .

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Not only do they not know how to not dress like crap everywhere they go crap is being sold. Pretty hard to dress well when virtually the whole mall is crap. I tend to not talk about sf like it's the first rule of fight club.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
90% of the people I know dress in a boring way or like crap.
Funny.. That's much pretty how I'd describe quite a few of the regulars here. At least the boring part.
One guy at my office had a Filson 256.
Case in point. That's a ******* ugly bag.

IBJanky

Reaction score
Most of my friends dress like garbage.

I'm the fashion guru of the group.

myke

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IBJanky
Most of my friends dress like garbage.

I'm the fashion guru of the group.

myke

Same here. I am the fashion guru/"the guy who dresses too well to be straight" guy of my group.

Trendy Sing Sing

Reaction score
Guys: Hypebeasts.
Girls: Slutty.

facepalm.gif

Trendy Sing Sing

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
better than the other way around.

Good point, but I still despise the hypebeasts with a burning passion.

Casey

Reaction score
A lot of my friends don't care how they dress. Except for one who tries hard and thinks he getting it right but really isn't because it's hard when you're a 3XL and wear "jorts"

indieprep

Reaction score
Well, among my friends, one has more or less my kind of style, which is mostle preppy (I'm 15). All my other friends dress horribly, just like garbage...One of then for example wear band tees everyday and there is another who wears suit and skate sneakers to partys...The others are bad, but not that bad...

CoconutBanana

Reaction score
Like hypebeast AKA: Cheap mondays, Supra Skytops, Random graphic T's from Obey or Freshjive

connor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my 3 closest friends:

1. got me into denim and all this **** as a result. wears nice jeans and mostly streetwear brands otherwise. typical day is LRG/The Hundreds/Stussy etc shirt, either his Flatheads/Skulls/SlimJims, and some pair of SBs. he does his thing.

2. wears a lot of the PacSun kinda ****. hurley, DC, element, etc. skate brands. also big on the stuff at target right now that is knocking off AA

3. wears whatever his girl picks out at Forever21 for him along with misc tshirts

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads