• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you employ an attorney that didn't wear a suit and tie to meetings?

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
Agreed. If he's a great lawyer and gets me what I want, I don't care if he wears a clown suit.

Originally Posted by kuwisdelu
The only problem is that no matter how amazing the lawyer is, I doubt an attorney in a clown suit would get taken seriously by a judge or jury. There are some limits...

Dressing up to a good "suit & tie" standard would be good, but if the lawyer is good at his job, then if wearing a polo shirt is what floats his boat, go for it, dude.

The context, of course, will matter. If we are talking about a big downtown lawfirm that does major corporate work ... I think those fellas have to even walk the dog in their navy pinstripes. If it's a smaller firm where you are going to get your Will done or chat about your divorce, or in a smaller town, and the lawyer's not in a suit, dude, get over it.

In court, of course, a certain level of suit-i-ness is required. The judge, being a former lawyer, doesn't really care about the details we angst over here, as long as the lawyer meets the minimum standards. With juries ... well, they're funny birds. Dressing too well may in fact turn them against you ... if the lawyer ignores jury psychology and dresses to impress his SF buddies, the jury may well turn against him for being "that" kind of lawyer (see cape photo, above.)

East Oakland

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
If it was a female lawyer, sure, I'd let them lose the tie. If it's a man, standard legal uniform should apply.

This is really a cultural thing that varies from region to region.

Here in the SF bay area khakis and a shirt with a button down collar are pretty much the uniform for a transactional lawyer (or any big firm lawyer for that matter). The reason for this is that, here in the SF Bay area, especially down in silicon valley, the VC and PE guys (who are my clients) don't dress up, and if you look and dress like your clients, they tend to identify with you. I can't tell you how many times I have met a client who has been wearing something like kakis, a polar fleece vest and Keens.

For a big presentation, a lot of the guys here will throw on a suit or a sport coat, but not the tie. In a world where everyone dresses casually, it's just too much.

I wear a suit to work a lot of days (with no tie), and I am viewed as a bit of eccentric because I "overdress". If I wore a tie to the office, I would completely alienate everyone I work with.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mdg137
He once said to me.. "I have made a career out of making people underestimate me"
I agree with this and have seen lawyers representing big corporations poorly dressed and almost unkempt, though wearing suits.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meetings? When I'm in my capacity as a lawyer, suit and tie, always. Only exception is when a client has expressed that he or she would be more comfortable if I would dress down. I think the dress reinforces our commitment to the role we play in their lives.

Toorman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I couldn't care less if the guy is in suit or not as long as he's doing a good job and not trying to pull countless and unjustified billable hours out of me. That's my #1 turn-off with lawyers.

Wow, your lawyer does that too.

What I have found interesting is that among the many attorneys I have dealt with they are either dressed impeccably - suit fits to a "t," tie, pocket square, cuff links, great shoes, etc. - or they look like they just stepped out of Men's Warehouse. Suit is poorly fitted, shirt poorly fitted, awful tie, shoes by Kenneth Cole, etc.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I am meeting a client, or counsel under any circumstance, I am dressed. I am wearing jeans today, but I am hungover....so I think it is ok.

Mike

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toorman
Wow, your lawyer does that too.
Can you believe that?
wink.gif

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Judge and jury sounds kinda awful...like you are well on your way to getting fuked no matter what your attorney is wearing. - B
True enough - back when I was the lawyer of the lawyerin' variety, I used to tell biz clients "If you find yourself in a trial, you've already lost." This, along with "you know it's a good settlement if everyone is unhappy" made me real popular with the clients determined to rain fire and brimstone down on their adversaries. That said, there are reasons to go to trial (in the civil context, in the criminal context there are lots of reasons) but you have to be willing to pay the freight, by the hour usually. It's rarely worth the time and $$.
Originally Posted by AtticusFinch
Lawyers should wear suits. Every day. I reject the concept of casual Friday.
This is my theory, though a sportcoat and tie are OK too
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
Meetings? When I'm in my capacity as a lawyer, suit and tie, always. . . . I think the dress reinforces our commitment to the role we play in their lives.
And this is the reason behind my theory.
Originally Posted by Ahab
I agree with this and have seen lawyers representing big corporations poorly dressed and almost unkempt, though wearing suits.
A lot of older lawyers do that. There are two reasons - they want to be underestimated or they are so busy (with work, drinking, mistresses, politics, etc.) they just can't be bothered to give a ****. I had a boss who used to give me **** about wearing a tie on Fridays. When I told him I liked to wear a tie, he looked at me like I suffered from some terrible mental illness. Seriously, what's so tough about wearing a tie exactly? BTW, to answer the original question, "yes," if he knew what he was doing

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
I think the dress reinforces our commitment to the role we play in their lives.
Originally Posted by Big A
And this is the reason behind my theory.

Typical lawyer delusion of grandeur...
wink.gif

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think I would employ them, kahkis and polos are too casual even for a first meeting. I would want my attorney to have a more professional look, I would question their qualifications to represent me if they can't even properly represent themselfs.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Typical lawyer delusion of grandeur...
wink.gif

How so?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
How so?
Thinking that the role you play in your clients' lives is of such importance.

East Oakland

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
I don't think I would employ them, kahkis and polos are too casual even for a first meeting. I would want my attorney to have a more professional look, I would question their qualifications to represent me if they can't even properly represent themselfs.

Does everyone have the same expectations of other providers of professional services, like accountants, or is an expectation that is specific to lawyers?

If just lawyers, is it an expectation specific to litigators, or any lawyer--i.e., do you expect tax lawyers, etc. to dress formally?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would employ an attorney who knew when he needed to wear a tie. Just because you call a meeting doesn't = wearing a tie. It depends upon the other participants and the circumstances.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics