• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter Shoe?

oroy38

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I go to college in Erie, PA and the winters here are pretty bad. Lots of snow, ice, etc. I spend most of my time on campus but most of my walking is just from class to class, maybe down the street to the pharmacy. Right now I'm trying to choose between a chukka/desert boot type of shoe or a chelsea boot. Funds are limited so I'd really like to keep this under $200. Any advice would be appreciated.

Avebury

Reaction score
Of the two, Cheslea boot. If you're not worried about quality, a stout work boot. There are loads around in that price range. I wouldn't buy a chukka. You'd could try the Alfred Sargent "Selkirk":

http://www.shiptonandheneage.co.uk/s...ts-3441-0.html

Or:

http://www.williamlennon.co.uk/categ...ers-boots.html

Posh calf leather shoes or boots don't mix well with ice and snow, especially if they are worn day in, day out. They'll need time to recover. That's why I'd advise a stout work boot.

Not keen on Timberland, though they'd do the job.

TC11201

Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
LL Bean Katahdin boot - best boot you can get for $150

+1. And with Bean's guarantee, bit of a no brainer.

For a little more (and maybe it'll bust the $200 mark), you could also look at something like the Red Wing Gentleman Traveler - really sturdy boot and can dress up a little more than the Katahdin (although not a dress boot by any stretch). With the amt of snow you get in Erie, you'd at a minimum want something with a sturdy lug sole, otherwise you'll spend all winter slipping and sliding - most chelsea boots or chukkas aren't going to cut it in that kind of climate.

Or you could go whole hog and just get a pair of Sorel Caribous - certainly would make it through anything with those.

oroy38

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. What do you think of these: http://uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?pr...D=8316&TabID=1 I remembered that I still have a set of these at home in San Diego from when I did a lot of hiking and couldn't afford fancy hiking boots (got them at a surplus store for like $40). They have a vibram outsole with the traction of a bloody mountain goat and provided that I polished them up, they'd look pretty slick AND be functional. Thoughts?

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up two pair of Skechers Mariners on sale @ Macy's for $40/pair -- one black and one brown. Very comfortable, great in snow and ice, polish up nicely and reasonably stylish. I lived and worked in Moscow, London and Amsterdam for over eight years and learned the hard way what winter weather can do to nice shoes. Now, I leave the dress shoes in the office and wear these back and forth.

Twotone

http://www.skechers.com/shoes-and-cl.../mariners/cdb/

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Twotone
I picked up two pair of Skechers Mariners on sale @ Macy's for $40/pair -- one black and one brown. Very comfortable, great in snow and ice, polish up nicely and reasonably stylish. I lived and worked in Moscow, London and Amsterdam for over eight years and learned the hard way what winter weather can do to nice shoes. Now, I leave the dress shoes in the office and wear these back and forth.

Twotone

http://www.skechers.com/shoes-and-cl.../mariners/cdb/

Those are hideous. OP check out Paul Smith

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads