• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

dyzfunctioned

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pdsf
I think it's fantastic that you are being sensible with your money! Don't be like me.... I'd suggest if you can, wait and save a bit more money so you can get a better bag. Filson = good investment + years of good use, so it's worth it in the long run. Crane's is doing free shipping to the US at the moment, maybe they could give you a shipping discount to Canada? That may help a bit?

I just sold a Jack Spade bag that's within your budget
frown.gif

Thanks! Looks like I'll be using the good ol' backpack this year and saving up another year.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
picked up an m0851 bag this past weekend. my friend has one in an electric blue and after a year it's faded into an amazing midnight blue, i opted for the brown and the SA said it should develop a nice patina, and it's suited to my needs -- i needed something between a messenger and a laptop bag but smaller for things like lunch, a book, a bike lock and a thermos. he was also very knowledgeable and friendly.

the lining is great and there are some great deals to be had right now.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned
Thanks! Looks like I'll be using the good ol' backpack this year and saving up another year.

People shouldn't buy things that aren't houses that they have to save for. Live within your means.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need recommendations for a laptop bag that can carry 2 laptops easily. Something that doesn't break the bank (<$200) would be nice.

dyzfunctioned

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
People shouldn't buy things that aren't houses that they have to save for. Live within your means.

Sound advice.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
^I certainly agree with living in one's means, however saving for something you want is not antithetical to that. In fact, I think it shows good sense, certainly as opposed to running up credit card debt (I know you weren't advocating that, either). I enjoy saving for splurges here and there.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol

I don't get it, saving up for items is bad?

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
I don't get it, saving up for items is bad?

Expendable savings if fine if you're saving non expendable money elsewhere, but I don't understand blowing all of ones expendable savings in one go, especially on things like clothes or bags. But just because I don't understand it doesn't mean it's bad.

What's bad is when all of a person's savings is going toward clothing or bags. I get the impression that goes on a lot here.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That makes more sense than your original statement, which seemed to imply that saving up for an item meant that you were not living within your means. Just out of personal experience, I prefer to save up for items I really want rather than spend it on items that are I can afford right away.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
That makes more sense than your original statement, which seemed to imply that saving up for an item meant that you were not living within your means. Just out of personal experience, I prefer to save up for items I really want rather than spend it on items that are I can afford right away.

But you are still saving money that doesn't get used for clothing, right? Matters more as you get older, I guess.

g-banger

Reaction score
i just put an order through Saddleback Leather for a Chestnut Messenger bag.
As soon as i read this thread and saw the bag i said to myself i need to have this bag.

I currently have a Bally Satchel which i use, i gonna sell that to fund this bag.

definitely a impressive company which doesn't take themselves too seriously.

will post pics when i get it.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tom Ford: Pros: Simple Styling, no logos, nice materials and hardware, nice suede linings. Classic Styles that don`t draw too much attention to themselves. Cons: Hilarious pricing. I mean, $5K for a tote bag in grained calf? Quality was good, but I wasn`t thrilled at all for the price. Overall assessment: Ford has priced himself with Hermes and Valextra, without the history, the clout, the styling, or (IMHO), the little lovely quality hints that make these others what they are. I have a hard time figuring out WHO Ford`s target client is; no young people can afford this ****, and older clients area already buying Hermes. Overall OVERALL assessment: You should only be buying Ford if you don`t have to look at a price tag. Then, it`s nice stuff. For us mere mortals, however, there are other, better, cheaper alternatives. Lanvin: Pros:Unique styling, one of the best color palletes out there, seasonal items that set trends. Cons: ****** quality. Cheap hardware and linings, odd materials that felt plasticky and cheap, very high pricing, almost at LV level. Overall assessment: The clothes may be top notch, but I found the bags really shoddy. I wouldn`t buy one at 1/3 retail, as it would still be too expensive for the quality. The bags I handled (both this year and in the past) felt like they`d fall apart in six months.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads